New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 390 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by edtf View Post
    as a side note baldwin filters are available here in the Philippines. I use their oil and fuel filter.

where did you find baldwin?

2. Join Date
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by edtf View Post
    as a side note baldwin filters are available here in the Philippines. I use their oil and fuel filter.
    sir, where'd you get baldwin filters? i might make a manila trip come end of april and pass by that place.
    Last edited by miked; March 31st, 2011 at 12:08 PM.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy_boy View Post
    how about for 4D56 and 4M40, when you said combo filter, it doesnt have the dual filter right?

sir, i have a 4M40 motor, please expound. because we only change 1 oil filter everytime this is a very interesting topic

PS, do you plan to do a fuel filter study as well?
    I have seen 4d56 and 4m40 overhauled engines, only 1 oil filtration nga. No mention of bypass oil AFAIK. Need to check back on my mechanic.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

4. Join Date
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Ry_Tower View Post
    I have seen 4d56 and 4m40 overhauled engines, only 1 oil filtration nga. No mention of bypass oil AFAIK. Need to check back on my mechanic.
    All engines are designed to have a bypass circuit if the filter gets clogged or the oil pump produces abnormally high pressures. that is, by-pass the filter and go directly to the lubrication points or some oil will back to the oil pan galley.hth

5. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy_boy View Post
    how about for 4D56 and 4M40, when you said combo filter, it doesnt have the dual filter right?

sir, i have a 4M40 motor, please expound. because we only change 1 oil filter everytime this is a very interesting topic

PS, do you plan to do a fuel filter study as well?

Yes the 4M40 has a combo filter, ie it has a full flow and bypass in one filter, also very common in the states.

example of course yours is not this big nore will it have the same media in it but it will be similar. You have two elements, a full flow section then a bypass section in one filter. As stated at the start of the thread bypass filtration is a mainstay for diesel engines.

Bypass / combo filter.

The 4M40 takes a Fleetguard LF3564

Physical Dimensions
    BPV Setting 100 kPa (14.5 PSI)
    Largest OD 106 mm (4.173 in)
    Overall Height 136 mm (5.354 in)
    Thread Size M26 X 1.5-6H INT
    Primary Applications
    MITSUBISHI MD069782 All Applications
    Product Comments

* Combo style filter

As far as fuel filters that's pretty easy, you want 10 micron or better filtration. 15 micron is most OEM standards. You can get higher efficiency ones that go all the way down to 2 microns which will double your fuel systems life. You can't really add a 2 micron filter to a old school diesel because the lift pump might have issues flowing. New common rail is no issue you can add one in line with the stock pump.

You want less than 10 microns for a really good filter, Donaldson, Baldwin, Fleetguard and WIX all have these down to 2 microns.

On a diesel your fuel filter is just as important as the oil, Go cheap and you'll have problems.

Fuel filters are close to the oil filters in design as far as the filter media goes.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by miked View Post
    All engines are designed to have a bypass circuit if the filter gets clogged or the oil pump produces abnormally high pressures. that is, by-pass the filter and go directly to the lubrication points or some oil will back to the oil pan galley.hth
    single filter lang naman ang mga ito pero ang sinasabi is pwede imodify to a dual set-up....

Actually, about 1 liter or a little bit greater than 1 liter ang nagcicirculate sa engine (ang usual order of lubrication is: oil pan-oil pump-crankshaft/piston-camshaft/rocker arms-oil pan). Oil cooler comes into play when the operating temp is achieved.

Eh bakit 4-6 liters ang usually kinakarga? the primary reason is cooling of the oil (aside from the dedicated oil cooler). The greater the oil, the greater time for the oil to dissipate the heat absorbed from metals grinding other metals.

Therefore, if you install dual filters dadami din ang kelangan mo na oil and so on aside from the fact na mas marami ang "screen" na magfifilter ng dumi sa oil..
    ah yes, regarding this one pala yun. hehe
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

7. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Diesel Engines generally use one of two types of lube filtration systems:
    A Full Flow system
    A Bypass or Part Flow system

A Full Flow system works the way it sounds. The entire flow of the fluid (oil, fuel, etc.) passes through the filter on its way to the engine.

In lube systems, the full flow filter is by necessity an open filter.
    The full flow filter cannot restrict oil flow used to control larger particles, the full flow filter cleans all of the oil going to the engine.

A bypass or part flow system has a different flow path than a full flow
    In a bypass system, a small amount of flow, usually controlled by an orifice, is taken from the main flow stream that oil is passed through a filter and then returns to the sump.

Due to the lower flow of a bypass system, a bypass filter can remove smaller particles.

Basic filter parts.

Filter Bypass Valve allows unfiltered oil to flow around (bypass) the filter. Not to be confused with a bypass filter Every lube system has a bypass valve.

May be part of the filter or part of the engine Antidrainback Valve Used for inverted applications maintains a head of oil to prevent dry starts. Used in conjunction with a standpipe.

Filter break down.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Useless ang paggamit ng modified filter na yan dahil hindi marami ang amount ng motor oil na nasa loob ng makina ng mga light duty diesel engines ng mga sasakyan natin.Hindi pwedeng patagalin ng mahabang panahon ang change oil di gaya sa makina ng mga malalaking trucks/buses.Ang ratio ng dami ng langis sa displacement ng makina will decide the size of an oil filter & change oil interval depending on what type of oil we use.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    sir, where'd you get baldwin filters? i might make a manila trip come end of april and pass by that place.

Makes sure they are real Baldwin filters plenty of fakes in that part of the world.

Biggest thing to look for is.

Country of Origin - Baldwin manufactured filters are marked with the country of origin. Baldwin has manufacturing plants in the United States, the United Kingdom, Mexico, South Africa, Morroco and China. If it does not have this it's a fake just makes sure you getting what you paid for.

Other stuff.

Color
    The color of a Baldwin spin-on filter may not be correct on a counterfeit filter. It may be close, but just not right.

Graphics
    Graphics on the filters, including the logo, may be missing or incorrect. In the photo to the left, the counterfeit filter has 2 I's in Baldwin.

Components
    A counterfeit filter may look right upon first glance, but upon closer examination, you may find major differences. Some places to look include:

Dimensions - The dimensions of the filter may not be the same as a genuine Baldwin filter.

Baseplate - The baseplate may look different or be made from a different material than that used by Baldwin.

Media Packs - Counterfeit media packs often have an obviously lower pleat count than Baldwin. In addition, the pleats may be deformed.

Gaskets - Both internal and external gaskets may look different or be made from a different material than that used by Baldwin

Real Baldwin box.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    sir, do you have a fleetguard oil filter that can fit the 4m41?

Remote bypass oil filtration