New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    I used to hike alone around the Lake Tahoe/Donner Lake area when I was single. I quit after I saw a bear. Two things I don't want to run into in the middle of nowhere and me unarmed: a bear or a mountain lion.
    Nice. I go on solo hikes around here a lot..nothing too crazy. I've seen deer, jackrabbits, lizards, a snake, squirrels and marmots (my favorite). Every now and then i think about what i'd do if i see a coyote, bear or mountain lion. I thought about bringing bear spray when I'm out in the wilderness but haven't yet.

In less than a month we're planning to do another 14er (moderate with difficult class 2) so i plan to trail run a bit and get some decent exposure under my belt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by xthine View Post
    Nice. I go on solo hikes around here a lot..nothing too crazy. I've seen deer, jackrabbits, lizards, a snake, squirrels and marmots (my favorite). Every now and then i think about what i'd do if i see a coyote, bear or mountain lion. I thought about bringing bear spray when I'm out in the wilderness but haven't yet.

In less than a month we're planning to do another 14er (moderate with difficult class 2) so i plan to trail run a bit and get some decent exposure under my belt.

If I were in your spot, I'd go with a group. Animals are less likely to be around when there's a large group of humans around.

Coyotes are another danger. They're timid when solitary. But, at the California Central Coast, I've seen them gather in packs. One time I was working a night shift (at a weather station). I went outside to check on some noises. I trained my flashlight at one spot and saw a bunch of coyotes sitting around. I stopped counting at 15 pairs of eyes. I tried to shoo them away. They didn't budge and just looked at me silently. That was the cue for me to run back inside and lock the door.

They're getting bolder too:

Burbank Man’s Surveillance Cameras Show Packs of Coyotes Roaming Neighborhood | KTLA
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; July 20th, 2016 at 11:10 PM.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2015

Cant you bring a rifle or a shotgun with you?

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_BIG18 View Post
    Cant you bring a rifle or a shotgun with you?
    A bear has so much mass a rifle round or shotgun cartridge will only piss it off. They're very fast too. You may get one or two rounds off and then the bear's on you. I think the bear spray is a better deterrent.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2015
    A bear has so much mass a rifle round or shotgun cartridge will only piss it off. They're very fast too. You may get one or two rounds off and then the bear's on you. I think the bear spray is a better deterrent.
    I notice hunters bring a s&w 500 6.5 revolver just in case of a bear attack, loaded with 700grn*1200fps its .308 winchester teritory, the longer barrel ones are used for bear hunting and the shorter ones are for protection..bullets are hard cast...

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I notice hunters bring a s&w 500 6.5 revolver just in case of a bear attack, loaded with 700grn*1200fps its .308 winchester teritory, the longer barrel ones are used for bear hunting and the shorter ones are for protection..bullets are hard cast...
    It would take a whole group of hunters to bring down a bear. A bear would make short work of a lone gunman especially if they encounter each other at close range.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2015
    It would take a whole group of hunters to bring down a bear. A bear would make short work of a lone gunman especially if they encounter each other at close range.
    Sir are we talking bout a black bear or a grizzly? Ive seen footage from NG hunter taking down black bears with an arrow....

I

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Sir are we talking bout a black bear or a grizzly? Ive seen footage from NG hunter taking down black bears with an arrow....

I
    Ah. But, they're hunting. That means the hunter is stalking a bear and employing techniques such as being downwind so that the bear cannot catch the hunter's scent. The hunter is also at a safe enough distance to get his shot off.

It's quite different from a chance encounter on a nature trail. Trust me. when you're the one who is surprised, courage goes out the window and you run like hell.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Ah. But, they're hunting. That means the hunter is stalking a bear and employing techniques such as being downwind so that the bear cannot catch the hunter's scent. The hunter is also at a safe enough distance to get his shot off.

It's quite different from a chance encounter on a nature trail. Trust me. when you're the one who is surprised, courage goes out the window and you run like hell.

Yes kuya, i just making the arrow an example, it has low energy in ft/lbs compared to a firearm, it can still penetrate and hit a vital organ...if it was a 500 which was designed to drop even bigger game, you still got a chance of hitting the center of mass or if lucky the head...miss and one swipe form it will take someones head off..

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Be careful with the weather. Check the mountain forecasts regularly. The local news here mentioned a hiker (up north in Flagstaff) getting killed by lightning.

Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast