hey, cancelled na ba talaga ang f22 raptor? sayang

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by bad driver
    hey, cancelled na ba talaga ang f22 raptor? sayang
    hindi pa yata kapatid.

AS OF APRIL 2005

F/A-22 RAPTOR

Boeing is teamed with Lockheed Martin, Pratt & Whitney and the U.S. Air Force to develop the F/A-22 Raptor as a replacement for the F-15. The fast, agile, stealthy F/A-22 will take over the air superiority role with the Air Combat Command starting in 2005. The Air Force has said it requires a minimum of 381 F/A-22s to meet air dominance needs for the future.

The F/A-22 program’s outstanding teaming arrangement has allowed unprecedented industry cost-sharing and taken advantage of the different companies' strengths in advanced technology, production capability and systems integration.

Boeing Work
    Boeing in Seattle, Wash., builds the Raptor’s wings and aft-fuselage, as is responsible for avionics integration and test, 70 percent of mission software, the pilot and maintenance training systems and the life-support and fire-protection systems.

Hardware Deliveries
    As of April 2005, Boeing has delivered 61 sets of wings and 66 aft-fuselages to team partner Lockheed Martin for mate with the plane’s fuselage in Marietta, Ga. The deliveries include wings and aft-fuselages for eleven test vehicles supporting the program’s Engineering and Manufacturing Development phase, eight production representative test vehicles that will be used for operational test, evaluation and tactics development, with the remaining deliveries being for the first production aircraft.

anyway, very interesting thread!

3. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by yebo
    i think the often heard remark that the 5.56mm ammo of the m16 can't penetrate "talahib" is a myth. i can personally testify that it can punch through a 3/8" steel plate at 50 meters. consider the fact that i used a "baby" with a 12 inch barrel, e di lalo na pag full length 22 inch barreled m16. did this in a bulacan firing range, napagkatuwaan lang namin na tirahin yung falling plate at 50 meters. we fired 20 rounds, bullet went through 20 times. e hindi pa first class ammo gamit namin, 19 out of the 20 were "hingi" from a soldier friend and what he gave us were rusted, dirty 5.56 rounds that we had to clean with sandpaper. i only fired 1 round of new, out of the box US issue ammo, same results din, tagos sa 3/8" steel plate.

forgot the name of the range, it was actually in disuse already and had closed down. kilala lang ng kumpare ko yung may-ari.
    It can penetrate the talahib pero not on a straight line. The projectile kasi is light kaya madaling ma-deflect. Kaya nga din delikado ang 5.56 coz malikot pag-pumasok sa body ng tao.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Maganda pa din ang M16 kung performance. Tried the others malakas ang sipa. M16 below was smooth and minimal kick. Kaya lang nga, durability wise, pag madumi na, ipit na.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    naka muzzle brake kasi yung m16 dun sa picture kaya low recoil. try mo unit na flash hider lang.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by yebo
    naka muzzle brake kasi yung m16 dun sa picture kaya low recoil. try mo unit na flash hider lang.
    Yun nga din sabi sa akin. Big difference pala yun? Why don't they make it standard to all M16 or for all guns?

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Going back to the airforce...

Won't Rutan style aircraft fit the PAF's requirements for airsupport aircraft? They are cheap (many are kit planes!) and can be modified to military use with some imagination. And others are military aircraft.

http://www.cas-cozy.nl/corporate/1-5.html

http://www.aerofiles.com/scaled-ares.jpg
    rutan's fighter concept

http://www.aerofiles.com/adam.jpg
    this push/pull twin engine plane could be modified into a ground support & observation aircraft.

http://www.cas-cozy.nl/corporate/images/Image3.gif
    http://www.aerofiles.com/longEZ-NOAA.jpg
    http://www.aerofiles.com/rutan-longez.jpg
    The Rutan Long-EZ can be modified into a daytime light ground attack aircraft and, with nightvision equiptment, can used at night attacks too. From the design, it seems easy enough to modify it to fit some machine guns and bombs on this type of plane.

The big plus about Rutan kit planes are that they are (relatively) cheap and easy to build, maintain and fly.

To make them more durable against ground fire, some (lightweight) kevlar based armour can be wrapped around the vital areas of the planes like pilot area, engine and fuel tanks.

Do I make sense or am I just crazy?

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002

Just imagine a squadron of Rutan based fighter planes coming in for attack!

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Kaya nga sayang Rutan didn't go through with his "Mudfighter" concept. Rutan has a knack for creating very cheap and very sturdy and very WEIRD aircraft which fly VERY well.

The Mudfighter concept was very interesting. A low power jet-turbine set at the end of the fuselage, with the intake on only one side and a 20mm cannon on the other side. This is so that misfires and vented gases from the cannon would not foul the engine. Since it's all composite, it could very easily be reinforced with a couple more layers for resistance to small arms fire, and since the engine is small and electronics are minimal, it shouldn't be hard for even our airforce to maintain. And all at $1million. For the cost of a secondhand F5, we could get a bunch of these.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by zeagle
    It can penetrate the talahib pero not on a straight line. The projectile kasi is light kaya madaling ma-deflect. Kaya nga din delikado ang 5.56 coz malikot pag-pumasok sa body ng tao.
    I think this is already moot. the talahib was an issue during the Vietnam war when the 5.56 round was easily deflected when it hits tall grass.

To address this NATO issued the SS109 round (Belgian round by Fabrique Nationale, sometime in the early '80s) for the M-16 : heavier ball mass; cartridge had higher grain count, lower muzzle velocity to improve long-range performance but with increased rifling for more stable bullet flight.

For the M-16 to take in the new round, the receiver was the same but the barrel was changed to increase the rifling. If my memory serves me right, I think it was one twist every 9-inches instead of 1-twist every 12-inches. After all these changes, the new M-16 was re-badged M-16A2 and the SS109 round is still used til today, I think.

Diba Armscor made Strike-3 ammunition for the M-16, (yung 3-balls in tandem in 1 cartridge) tapos yung spread pattern is pretty tight. Na-try ko na to sa Camp Bagong Diwa early this year. Favorite ko pa rin 12-guage shotgun, kasi parang kanyon hawak mo. My bro.-in-law has a Valmet na naka choke for horizontal scatter. . . awesome.

Military Hardware Thread [Split]