New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Actually, depende rin sa set up ng coil springs. There are a lot of off-road rigs, Land Cruisers for one, that uses coil springs and they are quite durable. May mga models nga din ng Land Rover that uses coil springs.

A Pajero is a capable rig, especially the older models. I've been with Pajero's on trails and they perform quite well. One drawback, especially with the later models, is the weight. They are quite heavy compared to the Everest and easily sink in the mud or sand. You really need to lift them up high enough to avoid getting high-centered. Another drawback is the stabilizer bar which prevents too much articulation (same case as the Prado). So those who took them on trails usually disconnect the stabilizer bars.

But capability is one thing. Durability is another matter. There are not a lot of Mitsubishis consistently used off-road unlike the Toyotas, the Suzukis (Beavers, Samurais, Vitaras and Jimnys), and the Nissans (Patrols and Terranos). As for Ford, I only know of two rigs consistently used in the trails - Brian Ong's Ranger and my Everest.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Yes, I also agree that not most of the time Mitsubishi's are used in expedition trips or trails. But I have seen that they can.

But I am also a fan of Pajero's. Our Pastor's Gen 1 Pajero in Bukidnon, though dying in rust is still not dying! NAPOCOR also owns a few fleet of Pajeros which I can still see running today.

The main advantage of the Montero Sport over the Everest is its SSII which has a center diff lock.
    iam3739.com

3. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    It seems Mitsubishi's Pajero and Montero vehicles have enjoyed more "prestige" esp. in the eyes of Filipinos.

Possible reasons:
    -proven rally series vehicles, eg. Paris-to-Dakar.
    -international models unlike the Everest
    -Mitsubishi technology

There is also a prevailing notion that gibain ang mga "American" cars although the Everest for one is essentially Mazda-derived. Nevertheless, the untimely pullout of Ford in the 1980s seems to leave a bad reputation which, honestly, the company has yet to overcome.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerbo View Post
    It seems Mitsubishi's Pajero and Montero vehicles have enjoyed more "prestige" esp. in the eyes of Filipinos.

Possible reasons:
    -proven rally series vehicles, eg. Paris-to-Dakar.
    -international models unlike the Everest
    -Mitsubishi technology

There is also a prevailing notion that gibain ang mga "American" cars although the Everest for one is essentially Mazda-derived. Nevertheless, the untimely pullout of Ford in the 1980s seems to leave a bad reputation which, honestly, the company has yet to overcome.

I have no bad impressions or whatsoever over the Ford Everest, but I would definitely agree on this one.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by FWC View Post
    I can't say anything about the Montero's performance because I have not tried it. Though I must say it really looks great.

But I could attest to the Everest's ruggedness and reliability. Three days after I got it out of the stock room, I took it offroad to the Araneta farm in Bulacan and it survived. (Though it had to be towed twice because the H/T tires could not get any traction on the sticky mud).

After a lift and changing to maximum traction (M/T) tires, isinabak ko na ng husto sa trails. Just a few areas it had been too: Jungle Base trail in Tanay (4 times), Mt. Tapulao (4 times, although once lang umabot sa summit, the other times we had to turn back because the road was no longer passable). Mt. Banoy in Batangas, Mt. Tamawan (Miyamit Falls in Pampanga), Sapang Bato (Clark hot springs), Mt. Pinatubo (Juliana Train), Taysan trail, Balayan trail, Lomotan trail, and a lot of other places I can no longer recall. Once, I even brought it on a long, hard drive from Bangued (Abra), across to Balbalasang and Balbalan (in Kalinga), then back down to Baguio via Bontoc. The roads here are so rough that only jeeps with welded differentials and using tall truck tires are the means of commute.

I have been through all kinds of terrain, soft flowing mud, viscous stickly mud, rocks, soft lahar, hardened lahar, you name it. Not to mention the numerous river crossings with sandy, rocky, or muddy river beds.

In spite of all these punishing trips and with over 60,000 kms on the odometer (2.5 years), the only major part I had to replace (as Drave already mentioned) were the rubber front suspension bushings. But it was to be expected since I installed a steel bumper at the front which was 25 kgs. heavier than my original bumper. (I am now considering instally polypropylene bushings).

If my experience is not an indication of the Everest's durability, I don't know what is.

But who knows, some day someone would be able to test his MS the way that I did my Everest and then we can have a comparison. I'm keeping an open mind.

Mitsubishi Pajeros are proven tough in Rallies. But, the new Montero Sports isn't the same as the Pajero.

If I would compare Pajero over the Everest in offroading, the former will outclass the latter. Pajero is just so powerful and durable. Whilst, this new generation MS seems to me is designed for city driving or for just a bit of rough roads or slightly tough terrains only unless you customize it to be a total offroad class, which is really possible. But, sporting an all-stock Everest and this new MS for offroading, Everest will simply knock MS out. If it's the MS's big bro (Pajero), Everest will eventually stay behind.

So, new MS vs Everest in an all-stock offroading, EVEREST has it all. But, if I were to match the Eve against the old Montero in offroading, I'd go for the old Montero. The new one is simply classy in looks, but not yet tested for really tough trails.

And, only Everest is Mazda-derived and not internationally recognized - that's its downside.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Since we're matching the two beasts for Offroading capabilities, I'd say the new Montero Sport may not overwhelm the Everest.

But, Everest against this old gen Montero Sport? I'd go for the old MS.

And say, against this MS' big bro (Pajero)? Forget about the Everest.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nOnOize View Post
    Since we're matching the two beasts for Offroading capabilities, I'd say the new Montero Sport may not overwhelm the Everest.

But, Everest against this old gen Montero Sport? I'd go for the old MS.
    Errrr... I don't get it nOnOize : why is the old Montero Sport better for offroading than this new one? Care to expound?

8. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    i dont like the pajero its kind a makupad s acceleration when starting,my bro had a pajero! At mbgat ung body nia,and parang pugon sa usok ng tambutso even 2000 model plng,, about montero sport,idont like its car like front and tail,,unlike everest the traditional reserve tire at the back was stil der,mix with boxy body but new in style.. And about the old montero mjo msikip ang interior and leg room,but it got my vote having an equal eye with the everest in terms of power and capability because they have both reputation..

9. Join Date
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by leonleon View Post
    Errrr... I don't get it nOnOize : why is the old Montero Sport better for offroading than this new one? Care to expound?
    yes sir, we would like to hear your side po when the new MS is also body on frame. actually, the 1st gen MS was still the inspiration of the new MS.

thanks very much...

Montero Sport vs Everest? i will give my side probably once the MS 4x2 is out.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kian2x View Post

hi fellow i want to share nga pla my pit my eve....
    this time is when we went to pico de loro nasugbu Batangas, where we constructed the henry Sy's resort...
    errrr... i cant see your pic. or is it just me? the code says <a, href=[/IMG] (without the comma) and its wrong i think. hehehe

Quote Originally Posted by kian2x View Post
    i dont like the pajero its kind a makupad s acceleration when starting,my bro had a pajero! At mbgat ung body nia,and parang pugon sa usok ng tambutso even 2000 model plng,, about montero sport,idont like its car like front and tail,,unlike everest the traditional reserve tire at the back was stil der,mix with boxy body but new in style.. And about the old montero mjo msikip ang interior and leg room,but it got my vote having an equal eye with the everest in terms of power and capability because they have both reputation..
    oh yes its really makupad. pero yung bago oks din naman cguro yun. pero its just reliable proven by time which makes it more preferable for some over newer models. kanya kanyang taste lang yan, kasi ako gusto ko din ang car-like front of the MS for city driver while i also like eve's boxy look which makes it look like a real offroader

Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
MONTERO SPORT or FORD EVEREST