May 2006
    I got this via www.kia-forums.com
    original link http://1075.timefm.com/?s=m2t033&p=38

15 KARENS FITTED IN THE NEW KIA CARENS!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Ouch... 0.7% is really a far cry from 10%! :hysterical:

Still, it's not terrible... a lot of stock cars really over-read by a good amount.
    Well, yeah. 95% of the time you won't get in trouble for this. Then perhaps the 5% is NLEX and Skyway, if at all.

Just in the case of my Prado and my kumander's Vios. My ride's speedo is 2.2% too slow coz of the rims, and my kumander's is 4.9% too slow coz of the rims. I was running 100 Kph (102.2 Kph effectively) on the skyway, while she was following me also at 100 Kph (104.9 Kph effectively). Had our speedos been accurate, she would've eventually closed the gap. Nga lang, she kept calling me to tell me to slow down, coz I was speeding already, when my speedo was at 100 Kph and below.

Quote Originally Posted by vinrem View Post
    Sir, what size of the rim do you recommend? im planning to change my OEM 15" steel rim to 16" alloy, will this correct my inaccurate speed??? also if i change to a 16" what tire brand and also what tire size do you recommend??? kayo ang mga expert dito eh hehehehe and im not an expert. Thanks!!!
    I wouldn't fixate on the speedo discrepancy. Your stock tire is 205/65r15. A good size for the 16 is 215/60r16. If you want to make up for the 10 Kph discrepancy, you'll have to go 215/70r16. 4x4 ang kakalabasan mo niyan ;)

As to the tire brand, wala pa kasi atang China sa size na to, so malamang ang bagsak mo nito is the usual Dunlop, Bridgestone, Yokohama options. Either of these will do.
    Last edited by IMm29; December 7th, 2007 at 10:40 AM.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cma View Post
    Hey markcasq!

Since you test drove a GAS A/T and a CRDi M/T it would almost be like comparing an apple to an orange. I'm sure that if you compared the CRDi M/T to a CRDi A/T the power delivery and pull wouldn't be too different. Remember that the gas variant doesn't come close to the torque and the pulling power that the CRDi variant can give or offer. A good friend of mine has the Carens CRDi 6-speed M/T, and he is thoroughly enjoying it and having major F-U-N! Not to mention how happy he is with his fuel consumption. My "bilas" has the CRDi A/T naman, and he is ecstatic with it as well, he has a lot of cars but since getting the Carens CRDi A/T his whole family (teenage sons & daughters included) compete as to who gets to drive it for the day.

Peace!
    fyi, I am driving a Crdi a/t and I am very happy with the a/t....I test drove a m/t kaya lang lagi ako namamatayan. power is more than enough, you could use the tiptronic gear kung kulang para sa iyo. fuel mileage is around 8-9km/l city driving. I am perfectly happy with the appearance, the feel and the performance of the Carens Crdi A/T.
    meron lang bumato na bata sa hood ko....kaya may tama na....bwisit mga bata lalo na sa quezon ave-araneta intersection...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wavecxs View Post
    that sucks! I don't care about the keyhole illumination really. what i don't like is that it was advertised as having that feature and I don't have it

isa pa, it was also advertised to have heated side mirrors, mine doesn't seem to have it as well. paki check nga po ulit mga fellow owners.

On the positive side. Some reports on FC. I've just had my 3rd full tank. FC seems to indicate a 11 km/li mixed city and highway driving, speed on highway is 70-90 kph on the average peaking at 140+ kph whenever possible. Longest traffic jam experienced is 2 hours (average of about 20 minutes of slow drives/day). FC peaked at 15 km/li running 80-110 kph on the average. Pretty good!

Also, I've noticed an increase in FC for every full tank (e.g. 2nd full tank takes longer to be emptied than the first). Power performance... walang akong reklamo

WAVECXS, Carens a/t or m/t....gas or crdi ang 11km/l? thanks!

5. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by IMm29 View Post
    I wouldn't fixate on the speedo discrepancy. Your stock tire is 205/65r15. A good size for the 16 is 215/60r16. If you want to make up for the 10 Kph discrepancy, you'll have to go 215/70r16. 4x4 ang kakalabasan mo niyan ;)

As to the tire brand, wala pa kasi atang China sa size na to, so malamang ang bagsak mo nito is the usual Dunlop, Bridgestone, Yokohama options. Either of these will do.
    Im not fixating naman sa speedo discrepancy hehehehe , just planning naman talaga to change the stock steel rim to alloy wheel, kasi may nakita ako dito magandang alloy wheels and im planning to buy them here kasi the reason maganda na and its a whole lot cheaper hahahaha compare dyan sa atin, as for the quality of the alloy wheels, the factory is exporting alloy wheels to europe and US so siguro ok naman quality kasi tinangap naman ng other countries ang gawa nila.

As for the tires, wala akong balak bumili dito kasi someone advised me na dyan na ako bumili daw kasi daw pag dito sa china hinahaluan nila ng fake yung mga original brand.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by vinrem View Post
    Im not fixating naman sa speedo discrepancy hehehehe , just planning naman talaga to change the stock steel rim to alloy wheel, kasi may nakita ako dito magandang alloy wheels and im planning to buy them here kasi the reason maganda na and its a whole lot cheaper hahahaha compare dyan sa atin, as for the quality of the alloy wheels, the factory is exporting alloy wheels to europe and US so siguro ok naman quality kasi tinangap naman ng other countries ang gawa nila.

As for the tires, wala akong balak bumili dito kasi someone advised me na dyan na ako bumili daw kasi daw pag dito sa china hinahaluan nila ng fake yung mga original brand.
    Hehehe! Well, good luck shopping for your rims there in China. I don't have personal experience with China rims yet though, although from 10-12 years ago, having imported rims (had made in Japan rims then) didn't ensure durability. Bengkong ng bengkong yung rims ko dati. The Lenso and Bazo wheels I have nowadays are doing well naman, so I guess quality is better overall.

As to the tires, I'm using China-made (Full Run) tires. So far, so good. Cheaper by half than Japanese counterparts. If they last for half as long as the Japanese tires, ok na rin. Fingers crossed. At least they're being honest by being really "made in China", compared to the fake "made in Japan".

7. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by silicon View Post
    WAVECXS, Carens a/t or m/t....gas or crdi ang 11km/l? thanks!
    crdi m/t sir.

as i said, i always sprint when I have the chance, perhaps FC will be better when I drive for economy (like I used to when driving the corolla/civic). Ngayon na medyo nag wear off na excitement, I now drive normally (rarely sprint) so I notice an increase in my FC . So tingin ko kahit i consider yung inaccurate speed, the carens is still capable of 11 km/l and 10 km/l (average mix city and highway driving) is a safe assumption. Better than our corolla so we are happy . Although it fails when compared to the crosswind (which can do 12 on city, 16 highway.... easily).

8. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by IMm29 View Post
    Hehehe! Well, good luck shopping for your rims there in China. I don't have personal experience with China rims yet though, although from 10-12 years ago, having imported rims (had made in Japan rims then) didn't ensure durability. Bengkong ng bengkong yung rims ko dati. The Lenso and Bazo wheels I have nowadays are doing well naman, so I guess quality is better overall.

As to the tires, I'm using China-made (Full Run) tires. So far, so good. Cheaper by half than Japanese counterparts. If they last for half as long as the Japanese tires, ok na rin. Fingers crossed. At least they're being honest by being really "made in China", compared to the fake "made in Japan".
    Sir thanks for the input!!! I will update you in the future kng kumusta rim na binili ko dito sa China hahahahha kng ilang buwan bago nagka bengkong-bengkong, hopefully wla naman

9. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    finally! nakuha na rin namin unit namin last thursday!

although maraming wala dito sa atin compared sa ibang bansa (after going over the manual), i'm very happy with her. madaling ingress/egress, drivability, etc. initial worry ko lang is yung interior. we wanted white unfortunately it comes with a beige interior. hopefully ma-train ko daughter ko not to dirty the car too much.

as for the speedometer problem, siguro ma-correct yan if you use 17" wheels (can't recall the tire size though). sa us/europe 17" kasi lumabas. perhaps that would do the trick, if not minimize the error...

10. Join Date
    May 2005
    Good for you sir.

As for me, I have decided to go for the Innova and it was really the size that was a clincher. The AC distribution was also one factor and lastly, the family consensus..

enjoy your ride sir!

2007 Kia Carens [ARCHIVE]