New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 9 of 655 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959109 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    ^

Sir, R3 is for designed for diesel engine talaga. pag mga old school diesel engine you might look for the "API-CF" rated oil.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerbo View Post
    No question sa budget. I'm asking about the suitability between the 2 choices of Shell engine oils.

Or I can paraphrase my question...Is there a real advantage if I use HX5 instead of Rimula R3 for old school diesel engines?
    i guess better additive package.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    A ok. Any real experience with these Shell engine oils?

4. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    ^

Sir, you might want to ask sir ry_tower I believe he has been using the Helix HX5.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    i tried Rimula R1, the oil was really really really black just after 3000km. and only API CD rating. shifted to Zic UP.
    previously using Top1 SDO API CI-4
    Last edited by crazy_boy; May 1st, 2012 at 10:32 PM.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Retz View Post
    ^

Sir, you might want to ask sir ry_tower I believe he has been using the Helix HX5.
    I used Shell R3 and HX7 but not HX5.

Shell R3 is good enough for 5,000kms OCI, then swithced to Mobil Delvac MX because I can do 6,000kms on it and oil is still good vs Shell R3.

Been using Shell Helix HX7 for 1 year and a half na. Has better cleaning additive IMO kasi less darker yung oil after a month of using vs R3. Less noise also for the engine, smoother ride in the first 3 months. So I can say that its better than R3 and comparable with Mobil Delvac MX. Afaik Shell Helix Diesel HX7 kasi is 5w30 na viscosity, not good for our climate and since it's CF rated only, may not provide the best protection for diesels with EGR(even though Shell say its ok). I think ayaw na lang ng shell magbayad sa API nung test kasi mahal pala yang mag-pa-approve. Kaya hindi na ako gagamit ng Shell Helix Diesel HX7.

Just to mention also, my brother-in-law who has a ford ranger xlt non-crdi (with egr) has been using Vic oil filter and OCI of 5,000kms with Shell Helix Diesel HX7 for the past 5 years and 250,000+kms in the odo and engine and performance is still very good. I guess okay naman talaga siya, ewan na lang ngayong 5w30 na rating, sinabihan ko na din siya as well as getting bosch oil filter instead of vic. Ayaw niya lang maniwala sa 10,000kms OCI. hehe

Will use Delo Sports next oil change since there is a promo (P200/ltr). hehe.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

7. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    RT, hindi ba if the oil does not turn black agad, it might have less cleaning additive? or because of the oil filter narin kaya mas matagal mag black?

OT: how many liters of oil do you put in your 4m40? sa akin kasi with BD28, 6L lang nasa max na yung dip stick.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    ^

I ask before a mechanic regarding the color appearance of the oil. Ang sabi pag reddish/brownish black ang color okay pa ito. Pero pag black as in black talaga, it is time to change your oil. Is this true? can you tell when to change oil or if the oil is still good by just looking at the oil in the dipstick?

9. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Retz View Post
    ^

I ask before a mechanic regarding the color appearance of the oil. Ang sabi pag reddish/brownish black ang color okay pa ito. Pero pag black as in black talaga, it is time to change your oil. Is this true? can you tell when to change oil or if the oil is still good by just looking at the oil in the dipstick?
    Sa diesel, it does not matter if dark agad or not IMO kasi may ibang factors like gaano mo katagal pinatulo yung old oil or kung gaano kadumi yung old oil. If you have a good oil filter, matagal talaga mag-dark kasi maganda filtration. It is the fluidity and the feel of the oil that's important (yung hindi sandy or parang may mga small particles). Sa Gas engine, dapat malinaw talaga. Kapag madumi tignan, palit na.

Quote Originally Posted by crazy_boy View Post
    RT, hindi ba if the oil does not turn black agad, it might have less cleaning additive? or because of the oil filter narin kaya mas matagal mag black?

OT: how many liters of oil do you put in your 4m40? sa akin kasi with BD28, 6L lang nasa max na yung dip stick.
    Maliit kasi siguro yung BD28 kaya 6L lang. 6.5 liters ang max nung sa akin eh using vic or bosch. Tapos after 5,000kms wala nang top-up na nangyayari. Minsan naman 6L lang nilalagay ko tapos after 2,000kms eh bago ko nilalagyan ng .5L. La naman problem yun basta hindi lampas sa oil level ng dipstick after warming the engine and letting it cool down a bit bago i-check.

May BF7534 pa rin ba sa volmax, magagamit ko na last FF ko na bosch eh. hehe
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

10. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    pag diesel it will be turning black much faster as compared to gasoline counter part... the color wont really tell you whats the status of the oil.. only an oil analysis will do...

Mineral , semi synthetic or fully synthetic?