New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 130 of 158 FirstFirst ... 3080120126127128129130131132133134140 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,300 of 1576
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2017
    For AT, when stopping for long periods of time, do you:

1 set to neutral and handbrake
    2 or leave it at D and handbrake

Common answer from other folks is (1) but there's a youtube video from Engineering Explained saying that the shifting action from D-N causes wear on a more expensive part to fix than the wear when leaving it at D. (Well this is my understanding from the vid)

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by xnxnxn View Post
    For AT, when stopping for long periods of time, do you:

1 set to neutral and handbrake
    2 or leave it at D and handbrake

Common answer from other folks is (1) but there's a youtube video from Engineering Explained saying that the shifting action from D-N causes wear on a more expensive part to fix than the wear when leaving it at D. (Well this is my understanding from the vid)
    Well, you have to define what "long" is. I do a little of both and the third option, which is to firmly step on the brakes while in D.

Whichever option I choose depends on a number of factors. For short waits of less than a minute, I leave it in D with my foot on the brake pedal. If I need to remove my eyes from the road to fix/do something, I put it in N and apply the handbrake.

There are situations when you will have to sacrifice a little wear and tear for the sake of safety. For example, it gets tiring to keep your foot on the brakes on long traffic stops of more than 90 seconds. If you just happen to lose awareness or become distracted, you might unintentionally release it and end up rear-ending somebody. Applying the hand brake while in D is also not a best practice as you might be tempted to step on the gas for any number of reason (ie. Increase the A/C cooling or you just want to rev up the engine). That could overpower your handbrake and also send you rear-ending the poor sap in front.

The best option for long waits (90+ seconds, in my case) is to put in N and apply the handbrake. But even on shorter stops, if you need to reach for something behind you or under the seat with your eyes no longer on the road, just put it in N+handbrake and nothing you do short of accidentally pulling the shifter into D, would move the vehicle in any direction.
    Last edited by oj88; March 3rd, 2018 at 05:51 PM.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Well, you have to define what "long" is. I do a little of both and the third option, which is to firmly step on the brakes while in D.

Whichever option I choose depends on a number of factors. For short waits of less than a minute, I leave it in D with my foot on the brake pedal. If I need to remove my eyes from the road to fix/do something, I put it in N and apply the handbrake.

There are situations when you will have to sacrifice a little wear and tear for the sake of safety. For example, it gets tiring to keep your foot on the brakes on long traffic stops of more than 90 seconds. If you just happen to lose awareness or become distracted, you might unintentionally release it and end up rear-ending somebody. Applying the hand brake while in D is also not a best practice as you might be tempted to step on the gas for any number of reason (ie. Increase the A/C cooling or you just want to rev up the engine). That could overpower your handbrake and also send you rear-ending the poor sap in front.

The best option for long waits (90+ seconds, in my case) is to put in N and apply the handbrake. But even on shorter stops, if you need to reach for something behind you or under the seat with your eyes no longer on the road, just put it in N+handbrake and nothing you do short of accidentally pulling the shifter into D, would move the vehicle in any direction.
    +1 on this.. kung crawling traffic brake lang.. pero kung full stop na usually may counter naman then lagay muna sa N.. mahirap kasi pag na lingat ka.. boom sapul mo agad sa harap mo.

ngayon pag balik sa D wait a little say mga 1 sec. to fully engage the gear then accelerate normally. make sure na naka D ka na bago ka tumapak sa accelerator.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    Actually there are now so-called maintenance free automatic transmissions wherein fluid changes are not required and there is no transmission fluid dipstick. This is the type of transmission found in our 2011 Santa Fe 6AT. When the need does arise wherein a fluid change is required like being flooded or the like, fluid replacement is a huge pain in the butt.

And then again, fluid changes only cost a few grand per change. For the manual, I've had to replace the Revo's entire clutch assembly after just 55tkms most likely due to being subjected to bumper to bumper city traffic for most of its life. Not to mention the trauma of failing to shift in the middle of the street when it finally gave out...

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Perhaps this is the reason why I can't find the dipstick for the transmission. Now that you mentioned it, I'll check again my Owner's Manual.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2018
    I won't even contemplate of driving a M/T vehicle again.

Using an A/T saves me a lot of physical energy. I hate that haggard feel when I still drove my previous M/T vehicle driving from QC to Taguig to Makati and last stop at Greenhills on a regular day. When we were invited to play badminton in Pasay, no choice ako but to take Greenhills and then EDSA. Upon reaching the court, ngalay na ang knees ko. Then after 2 hours of play, balik QC na naman via the same route. I need to ice my knees upon reaching the house hehehe.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Lin Dan View Post
    I won't even contemplate of driving a M/T vehicle again.

Using an A/T saves me a lot of physical energy. I hate that haggard feel when I still drove my previous M/T vehicle driving from QC to Taguig to Makati and last stop at Greenhills on a regular day. When we were invited to play badminton in Pasay, no choice ako but to take Greenhills and then EDSA. Upon reaching the court, ngalay na ang knees ko. Then after 2 hours of play, balik QC na naman via the same route. I need to ice my knees upon reaching the house hehehe.
    Glad to see someone into badminton as well in the forum. Where do you usually play?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Glad to see someone into badminton as well in the forum. Where do you usually play?

Good buddy, when we were based in Makati, we play in Powersmash, The Zone, Blu Rackets and BCMI. In QC, we play in Hemady, Centro, Dragon, and Power Up. In Pasay naman, sa 365.

Now in Pampanga, sa Smash Power.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Lin Dan View Post
    Good buddy, when we were based in Makati, we play in Powersmash, The Zone, Blu Rackets and BCMI. In QC, we play in Hemady, Centro, Dragon, and Power Up. In Pasay naman, sa 365.

Now in Pampanga, sa Smash Power.
    Oh you're not based in Manila pala.

I usually play in Smashville but occasionally play in Centro, KPrime, and DASC as well. Would be nice to play with fellow Tsikot forumers someday.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Oh you're not based in Manila pala.

I usually play in Smashville but occasionally play in Centro, KPrime, and DASC as well. Would be nice to play with fellow Tsikot forumers someday.

Ah yes before I was joining a queuing group back in 2009 in Smashville. Good crowd and hard hitting players hehe.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post

Buti na lang nauso na auto brake hold. Now, I rarely shift to N even for 60+ secs. stoplights.