New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 140 of 158 FirstFirst ... 4090130136137138139140141142143144150 ... LastLast
Results 1,391 to 1,400 of 1576
  1. Join Date
    May 2006
    Shift to N, pull the hand brake.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    i don't know about the new P, but in my old P,
    at P, and i get bumped from behind, the P brake might break.
    so i put it in N, then put on my handbrake.

i use P when there's little danger of getting bumped from behind, e.g., garahe.
    Here where I am, stoplights all over town have a consistent sequence of which lane or lanes get the green light. When there is construction going on, it can take a long time before we get the green light. There is also no turn on red. In my case, I don't consider getting out of Park until I see at least, the left turns start for the cross traffic because I know my lane is next. The driver behind me is probably expecting the same sequence of events. He's not going to move forward even if I put my car on Park and the brake lights turn off. People have enough common sense to see the traffic isn't moving regardless of whether the brake lights are on or off.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    I guess you have your reasons. But these are my reasons why I shift to N instead of P under similar circumstances:

1. N is just a notch from D. P is 3 notches away.
    2. You will pass through R when shifting from D to P and back, which makes the transmission momentarily engage the R clutches twice. I perceive this as unnecessary wear
    3. Finally, and it has already been mentioned, you could accidentally end up in R when you meant to be in a ‘safe’ gear (P or N).
    It's not hard to go between P and D on sedans because both are at the ends.

On SUV/CUV vehicles, there is usually 1 and/or 2 after D with P and the numbered gear(s) at the end. In the case of my wife's Nissan Rogue, there is a 1 after D.

Whenever I change gears, I always look to make sure I get the right gear regardless of whether I'm in a sedan or CUV. I don't treat an AT like a manual gear box. So, the chance for a mistaken gear is very low.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    It's not hard to go between P and D on sedans because both are at the ends.

On SUV/CUV vehicles, there is usually 1 and/or 2 after D with P and the numbered gear(s) at the end. In the case of my wife's Nissan Rogue, there is a 1 after D.

Whenever I change gears, I always look to make sure I get the right gear regardless of whether I'm in a sedan or CUV. I don't treat an AT like a manual gear box. So, the chance for a mistaken gear is very low.
    Still D - N is one notch or say click.. rather than doing 3 clicks from time to time... also use the hand or foot brakes!

Im not sure but i think most AT system allow you to shift from N - D without touching the lock mechanism.. or even without stepping on the brakes.. going to gear R - 2 - 1 and P requires stepping on the brakes or pressing the shift lock

So its important to learn the locking system of your AT transmission.. that is one of the faults in the design.of mitsubishi montero.. no locking system..

Also i have observed seasoned drivers rest their hands on the gear shift.. this is very dangerous as sudden brake or bumps and you accidentally shift the gear in the wrong position.
    Last edited by yapoy86; April 20th, 2019 at 09:42 PM.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2017
    I do the shift to N then hand brake.

But I think *Pekto's habit is quite common.
    It also scares the hell out of me when the car ahead's rear/backing light lit's up when the traffic starts moving when they shift P>R>N>D ..

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by xnxnxn View Post
    I do the shift to N then hand brake.

But I think *Pekto's habit is quite common.
    It also scares the hell out of me when the car ahead's rear/backing light lit's up when the traffic starts moving when they shift P>R>N>D ..
    C'mon. I know how people drive over there. You shouldn't ride the bumper of the car in front of you when stopped in traffic. Here where I am, look how far other motorists keep apart, both when moving and when stopped. It's no problem for the driver behind me when I shift back to D so long as my car doesn't start moving backward.

Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; April 21st, 2019 at 03:16 AM.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    C'mon. I know how people drive over there. You shouldn't ride the bumper of the car in front of you when stopped in traffic. Here where I am, look how far other motorists keep apart, both when moving and when stopped. It's no problem for the driver behind me when I shift back to D so long as my car doesn't start moving backward.

“Give someone an inch and they’ll take a mile”. That’s the reality here. You still keep a reasonably safe distance but not too much so as to encourage the vehicle besides you to improperly squeeze into your lane or queue.

In a somewhat related note, during my biker days some 14 years ago, I was in a group of big bikes in a zigzag formation. This formation allows the pack to be elastic and provide ample safety distance in front, behind and on the side of each biker for sudden stops and obstruction avoidance. Uncouth bikers took the free space around me as an invite to overtake. All I can do is slow down and give him the space. It’s an a-hole move but that’s how it is here.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    “Give someone an inch and they’ll take a mile”. That’s the reality here. You still keep a reasonably safe distance but not too much so as to encourage the vehicle besides you to improperly squeeze into your lane or queue.

In a somewhat related note, during my biker days some 14 years ago, I was in a group of big bikes in a zigzag formation. This formation allows the pack to be elastic and provide ample safety distance in front, behind and on the side of each biker for sudden stops and obstruction avoidance. Uncouth bikers took the free space around me as an invite to overtake. All I can do is slow down and give him the space. It’s an a-hole move but that’s how it is here.
    +1 on this. Even on the highways (Expressways), keeping your 1-2 vehicle distance from your front only gives opportunity to idiot drivers for them to squeeze in. You have to adjust again for safety, then another idiot squeezes in again. That is why it forces me sometimes to break that safe distance as idiot drivers irritates me "Its more fun in the Philippines, indeed!"

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jvnj View Post
    +1 on this. Even on the highways (Expressways), keeping your 1-2 vehicle distance from your front only gives opportunity to idiot drivers for them to squeeze in. You have to adjust again for safety, then another idiot squeezes in again. That is why it forces me sometimes to break that safe distance as idiot drivers irritates me "Its more fun in the Philippines, indeed!"
    you prefer almost-tailgating to proper safe distance?
    just so's hindi sila maka-singit?
    isn't that... dangerous?

for me, "sumingit na kayo, wag lang tayo mag-miting ng fender".
    heh heh.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    you prefer almost-tailgating to proper safe distance?
    just so's hindi sila maka-singit?
    isn't that... dangerous?

for me, "sumingit na kayo, wag lang tayo mag-miting ng fender".
    heh heh.
    No dr. d., not exactly tailgating, at least "2 inch" less a car distance from the front , just to discourage that irritating driver

But you're right, not worth it.