New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pajerokid
    Hehe, dami palang military geeks dito. Anyways if we really want to look forward, we should abandon manned fighters altogether and jump the UAV bandwagon.

But the way things are going, paper airplane na alng paliliparin ng PAF.
    Any country that wishes to take the Philippines will inherit ALL it's problems , so I don't think anybody would be eager to invade us. The most they'll do is probably take the Spratlys and that's it hehe.

Yes, paper planes with our external debt printed on it would be a deterrent enough We don't need expensive weapons.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mazdamazda
    One problem with that...

All CBGs have a Hawkeye recon aircraft with them. It has a range of 1300 miles and can cover a 3 billion cubic mile radius with its advanced radar system (this is the plane with the huge radar above it). It has the ability to track ships & other airborne targets & guide missiles against them.
    Very good point, but isn't that the first order of battle is to neutralize all C^3-i infrastructure of the enemy (paano ba mag-exponent dito) Command, Control, Communications and intelligence infrastructure of your adversary; so I presume that the first targets will be to down all those AWACS platforms with a ship-launched SAM with a dual HARM (homing anti-rad missile, will home to source of emitting or jamming emmissions) as primary guidance and terminal guidance with active seeker head, so your enemy will go blind. So as you said, unahan na lang talaga.

I remember sa Red Storm Rising, the US used a stripped down F-15C which can breathe thin air armed with ASAT missiles to kill all the soviet military satellites in the lower atmosphere- Hi-tech na masyado.

3. FrankDrebin Guest
    Nothing is invincible my lad. Even the great Roman Empire fell and crumble to the ground. Even the undefeatable Napoleon was defeated. Even the Invincible Spanish Armada was sunk.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by orly_andico
    regarding the destruction of carrier battle groups:
    the soviets had two methods of doing so..

1) the oscar-class SSGN with the Granit missile (although the russian heavy cruisers like the Peter the Great and their carrier also carries the Granit), mach 2.25 speed, 600km range

2) (tom clancy used this device in his book "red storm rising") send a whole squadron of Tu-160 supersonic bombers against the CBG, and all of them would salvo their AS-10 cruise missiles. the AS-10 is a low-flying missile with a "flying geese" behavior (one missile takes the lead, others follow it like a flock of geese; if the "lead goose" gets shot down, another missile will take over the lead) in the book, a salvo of 200+ cruise missiles was able to destroy the carrier simply by overwhelming the aegis defense system
    The Aegis isn't the only line of defense that a CBG has. A Hawkeye + F14 can also be utilized to intercept such threats.

The Granit & AS-10 are a bit old... what is worrisome is the new Yakhont & Moskit supersonic cruise missiles (lighter & longer range) which are still untested against current US missile defense. These are the best missiles out in the market! Besting the their Western counterparts (Tomahawk & Exocet of the USA & France, respectively). Though one wonders if these are just the marketing strategies of Russia in order to sell them to China. Hehe.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    wanna strike fear in the hearts of your enemies? nuclear sub. not sure if there are nuke subs still operating though

6. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by orly_andico
    regarding the destruction of carrier battle groups:
    the soviets had two methods of doing so..

1) the oscar-class SSGN with the Granit missile (although the russian heavy cruisers like the Peter the Great and their carrier also carries the Granit), mach 2.25 speed, 600km range

2) (tom clancy used this device in his book "red storm rising") send a whole squadron of Tu-160 supersonic bombers against the CBG, and all of them would salvo their AS-10 cruise missiles. the AS-10 is a low-flying missile with a "flying geese" behavior (one missile takes the lead, others follow it like a flock of geese; if the "lead goose" gets shot down, another missile will take over the lead) in the book, a salvo of 200+ cruise missiles was able to destroy the carrier simply by overwhelming the aegis defense system
    for no. 2 scenario actually kelts was launched as a decoy drawing out fighter coverage from the carrier, actually aegis could still track problem is wala na sila AAMs I also remembered that they launched their bombers from reykjavik iceland since the russian invaded iceland first to serve as a forward airbase,.So basically they neutralized the GIUK line of NATO which serves as an important dat gathering network in the Atlantic. Pero oks din yung ginawa ng US dun they struck the bomber fleet on the way back with F14s coming off UK, and with some cruise missiles (I think). Mukhang huhukayin ko uli yung paperback copy ko ah hehe

7. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    makes me wanna read red storm again.

but i think mas malapit sa panahon ngayon yung bear and the dragon.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    yep, same here I'll look for my old Red Storm Rising paperback - very well written. Couldn't drop the book, read it in one whole morning.

*Mojo, modeller ka rin ba kasi link mo is from jaguarmodels. I want to get a 1/200 Sovermenny Class Destroyer from trump but it will take forever to super-detail.

9. FrankDrebin Guest
    How about arms/ammo/armor for the infantry?

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Grabe... andaming individual threads sa loob nitong thread.

As for the choppers, we don't need expensive gunships like the Apache or multi-role choppers like the Blackhawk. What we need is a simple and agile multi-role helicopter for ground fire support, recon and troop transport. I think the British Westland Lynx would serve that purpose well. What's even better is that it is very agile and easy to fly. A plus, given the conditions here in the Philippines.

As for the nuke question. 2 kilotons is definitely enough to take out a carrier group, even with a near miss, as EMP would take out all unshielded electronics close enough to the blast. And that includes just about all the radar and surveillance equipment.

The point is moot, though... there are no countries aggressive towards the US that have enough of a naval presence to get close to the CBGs during a war. Peacetime is another matter. Remember the cruiser that got hit by that exocet missile? Technology counts for nothing if you're not expecting an attack. And it counts for less than that in Urban/Jungle Guerilla warfare, which is about the only fighting that counts nowadays.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Military Hardware Thread [Split]