New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    I was wondering why not our airport has a Filipino theme in them....

Oversized Jeepneys maganda siguro sa airport natin.
    iam3739.com

2. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Screencaps from HBO's Tsunami -

Attachment 8436

Attachment 8437

Attachment 8438
    Last edited by architect; June 12th, 2007 at 01:15 PM.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by architect View Post
    Screencaps frm HBO's Tsunami -
    where was the video taken? are those philippine jeepneys? pang-international disaster relief pala yan. dapat naka-disguise ng red cross livery

4. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by OyiL View Post
    where was the video taken? are those philippine jeepneys? pang-international disaster relief pala yan. dapat naka-disguise ng red cross livery
    AFAIK, the movie was filmed in Thailand. Most of the locations were sites that were actually devastated by the tsunami. The screen caps are from scenes in Phuket, the first is actually at Phuket Airport.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    AFAIK, the movie was filmed in Thailand. Most of the locations were sites that were actually devastated by the tsunami. The screen caps are from scenes in Phuket, the first is actually at Phuket Airport.
    so are those our jeepneys or thailand copies? i never knew our jeepneys were exported to thailand.

6. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Syuryuken View Post
    Dapat naman kasi limitado lang ang ibinibigay na prangkisa para hindi over crowded ang mga jeepneys sa mga kalsada natin mas malaki pa ang kita nila hindi yung takbo ng takbo kahit walang pasahero.
    it's limited, but otherwise if the price is right,

7. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    While we are all embroiled with the MVPMAP PhUV, another new kid is arriving on the block.
    It's called the e-Jeepney.
    There is a separate thread to monitor the developments re this new vehicle to be piloted in Bacolod City. If you here anything about it, please post it there. The thread is at http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38959.

Thursday, June 14, 2007
    [SIZE="4"]E-jeepney and Jack[/SIZE]
    By Michelle P. So
    [SIZE="1"]http://www.sunstar.com.ph/static/ceb/2007/06/14/oped/michelle.p..so.caught.in.the.net.html[/SIZE]

IN a month or so, a new kind of public jeepney will be plying the streets of Bacolod City. This costs about P380,000 each, is made of fiberglass, seats only 13 including driver and doesn’t need gasoline to run. It’s an e-jeepney.

E-jeepney is an electric-powered jeepney that will debut in the streets of Bacolod, a city where the latest automobile models cruise. If you want to find out what’s new in the auto industry, you’ll find your answer in this city that’s 20 flying minutes from Cebu.

Since it does not run on gasoline or diesel, the e-jeepney is dependent on rechargeable batteries. For it to go an 80- to 100-kilometer trip a day, it needs to be charged for eight hours.

So what happens when the battery is almost drained, does the e-jeepney stop in the middle of the road, or does it warn the driver that it can go only for this distance so he can tell the passengers, “Guys, this is where you get off now. It’s only about two kilometers to your destination anyway and walking will do you good.”?

Green Renewable Independent Power Producer Inc. (GRIPP), the private sector group that is behind the e-jeepney endeavor, wants to test the viability and sustainability of the electric-powered mass transport in Bacolod before it brings the vehicle to other cities, maybe Cebu.

I called up Jack Jakosalem, the Cebu City councilor who seems to have an answer to whatever question I ask him, be it the distance between his house in Maria Luisa and the moon or a behavioral analysis of the mayor. Jack heads the Council committee on transportation, energy, utilities and communication.

Do you think an electric-powered jeepney can work in Cebu, Jack?

He answered: We’re moving towards that direction—using vehicles with hybrid engines, partly gasoline, partly energy. They cause less strain on our environment and our pockets. But so far, it’s still private vehicles, no public transport yet. The private cars running on hybrid engines are expensive.

Later, he texted: With the inventive instinct of the Filipinos and the jeepney being a Filipino concept, I’m sure they will find a way to make the jeepney a cheaper and more maintenance-free mode of public transportation eventually.”

Off the cuff, I think the e-jeepney might be environmentally friendly but it might not be practical for Cebu City where the increasing number of vehicles is aggravating the traffic congestion. If the e-jeepney seats only 12 passengers (I think its Chinese makers have the average Asian size in mind), then it has the size of a multicab. What Cebu needs is a mass transport similar to the KMK buses that accommodate passengers of three to four 12F jeepneys.

There is more to the e-jeep than passenger sizes, fiberglass body and probably a crocheted sign of “God knows Hudas not pay.” It will be powered by electricity that is produced from waste. The e-jeep will be charged by batteries that will be charged at a power plant.

As described in news reports, the power plant consists of a generator, a high solid anaerobic digester and gas engine. Organic refuse will be emptied into the digester where this will be dissolved and converted into gas, which in turn will be pumped into an engine that will now produce the electricity. A physicist or a science teacher, or maybe even Jack, can explain this process better than I do.

When I visit Sun.Star Bacolod next month, I’ll try the e-jeepney, but I’ll be crossing my fingers that I get to my destination before it goes low-batt.

[SIZE="1"]PHOTO & CAPTION FROM PDI 05 JUNE 2007, FRONT PAGE[/SIZE]
    Last edited by dprox; June 16th, 2007 at 02:25 PM.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Screencaps from HBO's Tsunami -
    Attachment 8436
    Attachment 8437
    Attachment 8438
    If they're not tuktuks with a thyroid problem, then they must be jeepney imitations. I don't know of any local PUJs with roof gutters or rear fenders like those.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    just rode an aircon jeepney... it was a very nice experience.
    iam3739.com

10. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    this e-jeepney looks good. there ought to be a law on the construction of current jeepneys. dont use stainless, sharp edges, and pointy metal objects.

in that way, they wont be aggressive anymore.

Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
A Future for Jeepneys (What do you think?)