New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 96 of 235 FirstFirst ... 46869293949596979899100106146196 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2010
    Hi Dieseldude and other experts, I have an 04 D4D 2.5 Hilux in the UK, it starts and drives perfectly!, never misses a beat, but is now black smoking quite badly, even at idle, having read many posts about the D4D, the general advice would be to replace the high pressure pump, my previous experience with smoky diesels would be the pump timing, but obviously this is ecu controlled on cdri system, ....can you explain why the High pressure pump would cause black smoke? thanks for any advice

2. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by brumie59 View Post
    Hi Dieseldude and other experts, I have an 04 D4D 2.5 Hilux in the UK, it starts and drives perfectly!, never misses a beat, but is now black smoking quite badly, even at idle, having read many posts about the D4D, the general advice would be to replace the high pressure pump, my previous experience with smoky diesels would be the pump timing, but obviously this is ecu controlled on cdri system, ....can you explain why the High pressure pump would cause black smoke? thanks for any advice
    This is probably not a high pressure pump problem. Something else could be causing the black smoke.

3. Join Date
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieseldude View Post
    This is probably not a high pressure pump problem. Something else could be causing the black smoke.
    Thanks for that, indeed, today I disconnected each injector in turn whilst engine running and noted rough running between each dissablement, the engine managment light came on each time as expected, then strangely enough on restarting the engine, it would appear to be running ok with no more clouds of black smoke, could i have somehow reset the ecu or something?, have driven 50 miles today and it now seems ok!!!, rgds

4. Join Date
    May 2010
    Thanks for that, indeed, today I disconnected each injector in turn whilst engine running and noted rough running between each dissablement, the engine managment light came on each time as expected, then strangely enough on restarting the engine, it would appear to be running ok with no more clouds of black smoke, could i have somehow reset the ecu or something?, have driven 50 miles today and it now seems ok!!!, rgds

Must have been my keen imagination!, still smoking, just the same, back to the drawing board

5. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Must have been my keen imagination!, still smoking, just the same, back to the drawing board
    Have it scanned. Check EGR.

6. Join Date
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieseldude View Post
    Have it scanned. Check EGR.

Thanks again, I'll do that, rgds

7. Join Date
    May 2008
    good day sir, i own a gen2 jdm pajero with a 4556 Turbo intercooler engine, and for the past months i noticed that my pajero has been hard starting during cold starts even if all the glowplugs are glowing good. and the bad thing is, after it cranks to start for 15 seconds, a big grey-ish smokescreen is emitted by the exhaust. and while it runs or is in idle, my exhaust still emits this grey ish smoke that smells very unpleasant. and to add to that, my pajero has very bad fuel mileage, let's say around 5.5km/L-6km/L on city and 7-8km/l on highway. what could be the problem and how much would fixing the problem cost?

8. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    good day sir, i own a gen2 jdm pajero with a 4556 Turbo intercooler engine, and for the past months i noticed that my pajero has been hard starting during cold starts even if all the glowplugs are glowing good. Plugs may be ok but they may not be glowing if your glow plug relay has failed.

and the bad thing is, after it cranks to start for 15 seconds, a big grey-ish smokescreen is emitted by the exhaust. This is often seen on engines which take a long time to start. This will most probably go away once your hard start problem is cured.

and while it runs or is in idle, my exhaust still emits this grey ish smoke that smells very unpleasant. and to add to that, my pajero has very bad fuel mileage, let's say around 5.5km/L-6km/L on city and 7-8km/l on highway. what could be the problem and how much would fixing the problem cost?

9. Join Date
    May 2008
    sir, how about the bad mileage? would it mean i'd have to calibrate as well?

10. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rjbanzon View Post
    sir, how about the bad mileage? would it mean i'd have to calibrate as well?
    Replace air filter first before considering calibration. Try original Mits filter.

Pump calibration will only assure you of correct fueling. It is not the sole cure for bad mileage though. Poor fuel consumption can be due to a lot of variables.

Diesel Fuel Injection System Help Desk