New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 34 of 76 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Google Maps is simply useless in Metro Manila. Not enough detail.
    I did say test the water, not take the plunge.

If you've got a better suggestion, by all means - it'll be most welcome.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by StraightSix View Post
    I did say test the water, not take the plunge.

If you've got a better suggestion, by all means - it'll be most welcome.
    I have had Google Maps on my GPS equipped phone and it's nowhere even close to the GPS "experience".

As for suggesting an alternative GPS application, that is the problem. Not much GPS software out there with Philippine map that you can test without buying it first. Even my Nokia 6110 Navigator's "free" GPS software with Metro Manila map was an outdated version of NAVfone with map that is probably 5 to 8 years out of date, based on the roads NOT on the map. Fortunately for me, I found the software's website where I purchased the latest version of the software & map.

My Nokia 6110 Navigator uses NAVfone:
    http://www.navfone.com/nokia/navfone_n95.asp
    http://www.asiagis.com.sg/agis2/

Unfortunately I don't think they have a version for the iPhone.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; February 23rd, 2009 at 10:04 AM.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    installed google maps kahapon pero gusto magconnect sa gprs! eh may sariling gps naman ang 5800

4. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    ^^Try connecting via WLAN, mas mabilis update ng map data..Mabagal at malaki ang per kilobyte ng GPRS. Im also tryin to figure out how to update navteq..wla sa list ng nokia ang ph.. Ano po ba ma s-suggest nyo na gps software?? btw im using N79

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jatcos View Post
    ^^Try connecting via WLAN, mas mabilis update ng map data..Mabagal at malaki ang per kilobyte ng GPRS. Im also tryin to figure out how to update navteq..wla sa list ng nokia ang ph.. Ano po ba ma s-suggest nyo na gps software?? btw im using N79
    You can try NAVfone. The link is posted in my previous message. Its Symbian S60 compatible as well as Windows Mobile, etc. It works well for my Nokia 6110 Navigator. Hopefully it would work with yours.

BTW, I suggest installing the software & map into your fone's onboard memory and not the sd-card for performance & stability reasons.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    You can try NAVfone. The link is posted in my previous message. Its Symbian S60 compatible as well as Windows Mobile, etc. It works well for my Nokia 6110 Navigator. Hopefully it would work with yours.

BTW, I suggest installing the software & map into your fone's onboard memory and not the sd-card for performance & stability reasons.
    Sir GH great link thanks! I too also have the 6110, can I ask how much it cost you to get the maps for Pinas? Also how is the charging calculated? via 3G usage?

Kasi on the website of Navfone from the link you provided earlier it states the following:

NAVFone Pro is a 100% onboard solution. Since all information is on the city map data and it does not communicate to the mobile network, which means zero operating cost to you!
    NAVFone Pro includes the new GprX? technology for 3G & GSM networks. In supported cities, when you cannot use the GPS (e.g. indoors), GprX? provides an approximate location fix based on the cellular network.

Sorry po, but Im just a little confused. I just want to make sure I understand the whole solution before trying to download anything

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by snatchmeister View Post
    Sir GH great link thanks! I too also have the 6110, can I ask how much it cost you to get the maps for Pinas? Also how is the charging calculated? via 3G usage?

Kasi on the website of Navfone from the link you provided earlier it states the following:

NAVFone Pro is a 100% onboard solution. Since all information is on the city map data and it does not communicate to the mobile network, which means zero operating cost to you!
    NAVFone Pro includes the new GprX? technology for 3G & GSM networks. In supported cities, when you cannot use the GPS (e.g. indoors), GprX? provides an approximate location fix based on the cellular network.

Sorry po, but Im just a little confused. I just want to make sure I understand the whole solution before trying to download anything
    GPS uses the US military GPS satellite signals, not your 3G or GPRS signals. In fact you can still use the GPS feature of your 6110 even if you have taken out the simm card.

The software and map of choice(s) is saved within the phone itself. So when you need to use the GPS navigation software, just launch the application anytime, no worries about needing a data connection because you don't need it.

GPSX is a feature where supplemental location data is taken from celfone towers. Unfortunately for us, Globe and Smart seems to prefer to keep their celfone tower location data secret. So you can just turn off this feature and rely to pure GPS signals to navigate. The only time you'll have problems navigating via pure GPS is when you are driving through areas with tall buildings like Makati business district. Otherwise, signal strength is decent even when I was driving under the Skyway (signals came from the sides too, not just from directly above). It guided me from some place deep in Alabang back to SSH.

Price... well, maps are US$25, update of software ... I don't remember. Product activation will require for the phone to send a single international SMS message for the activation code to be sent to your phone directly.

The site will require you to register your phone before you can begin transaction. It will keep tabs of your downloads.

Maps available:

Map of Singapore USD 25.00
    Map of Northern Malaysia USD 25.00
    Map of Central Malaysia USD 25.00
    Map of Southern Malaysia USD 25.00
    Map of Ho Chi Minh City (Vietnam) USD 25.00
    Map of Hanoi (Vietnam) USD 25.00
    Map of Jakarta (Indonesia) USD 25.00
    Map of Surabaya (Indonesia) USD 25.00
    Map of Bandung (Indonesia) USD 18.00
    Map of Bali (Indonesia) USD 25.00
    Map of Yogyakarta (Indonesia) USD18.00
    Map of Metropolitan Manila (Philippines) USD25.00
    Map of Cebu (Philippines) USD 25.00
    Map of Boracay (Philippines) USD 25.00
    Map of Davao (Philippines) USD 25.00
    Last edited by ghosthunter; February 23rd, 2009 at 05:37 PM.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    GPS uses the US military GPS satellite signals, not your 3G or GPRS signals. In fact you can still use the GPS feature of your 6110 even if you have taken out the simm card.

The software and map of choice(s) is saved within the phone itself. So when you need to use the GPS navigation software, just launch the application anytime, no worries about needing a data connection because you don't need it.

Price... well, maps are US$25, update of software ... I don't remember. Product activation will require for the phone to send a single international SMS message for the activation code to be sent to your phone directly.

The site will require you to register your phone before you can begin transaction. It will keep tabs of your downloads.

Maps available:

Map of Singapore USD 25.00
    Map of Northern Malaysia USD 25.00
    Map of Central Malaysia USD 25.00
    Map of Southern Malaysia USD 25.00
    Map of Ho Chi Minh City (Vietnam) USD 25.00
    Map of Hanoi (Vietnam) USD 25.00
    Map of Jakarta (Indonesia) USD 25.00
    Map of Surabaya (Indonesia) USD 25.00
    Map of Bandung (Indonesia) USD 18.00
    Map of Bali (Indonesia) USD 25.00
    Map of Yogyakarta (Indonesia) USD18.00
    Map of Metropolitan Manila (Philippines) USD25.00
    Map of Cebu (Philippines) USD 25.00
    Map of Boracay (Philippines) USD 25.00
    Map of Davao (Philippines) USD 25.00

Awesome sir GH! Thank you for taking the time to write a full reply

9. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Did you get your "free" copy of NavFone packaged with your mobile phone?

I tried following the link for the WM version but in the end it was asking for an activation key by calling them on the phone ... WM6.1 also gave a message that it probably won't run since it was written for an earlier version of WM. And the price puts me off ... $100 for 4 places in the country is a bit stiff.

Nothing more I can add on the iPhone ... except that because of a clause on its licensing requirements, we may never see a full-blown navigation software for it. I got rid of mine the moment I got my XDA Serra, and I'm glad i did.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    GPSX is a feature where supplemental location data is taken from celfone towers. Unfortunately for us, Globe and Smart seems to prefer to keep their celfone tower location data secret. So you can just turn off this feature and rely to pure GPS signals to navigate.
    EGPS works with my i780. Using My Location in Google Maps, it was able to tell me my approximate location, based on the nearest cell site. You can't use this to navigate, though and it requires an active GPRS/3G connection for data access.

Not as practical as when using the built-in GPS receiver, EGPS has very poor accuracy (approx. 500 - 1,000 meters) and the My Location dot in Google Maps only indicates the cell site you're currently associated to. But this just proves that cell sites do provide their coordinates when queried by the phone.

I turn this on only if satellite acquisition is taking too long... which is seldom.