New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 16 of 76 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by raptormnl View Post
    Yup, i followed the same instructions from the same website to install mapsource ... my nuvi200 did not come with cd installer ... but if you're still in US, i believe that you can request for a copy of mapsource if you bought a Garmin GPS device.
    Thanks that is so cool! Can't wait to get my unit. Just wondering, what if you wanted to update the pre loaded map? How would you do it? I live in the south area and would like to contribute in updating the map, also in the Mandaluyong area.

Thanks for all your help!

2. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wilfy819 View Post
    Thanks that is so cool! Can't wait to get my unit. Just wondering, what if you wanted to update the pre loaded map? How would you do it? I live in the south area and would like to contribute in updating the map, also in the Mandaluyong area.

Thanks for all your help!
    Check out the how and why contribute here: http://www.freewebs.com/phroadguide/...butewhyhow.htm. OK yan I also want to contribute too. Hopefully we can get an expanded road map for the whole Phil in a year or two

3. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Has anybody tried this? [SIZE=1](not necessarily in the Phils.)[/SIZE]

It's a PlayStation Portable (PSP), with a PSP-290 GPS receiver and MapThis free navigation software using Google maps.

MapThis:
    [SIZE=1]http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/mapthis-0-5-20-with-holux-support-for-slim-psps-79825.html[/SIZE]

I see PSP-290's selling around the same price you'd pay for a decent GPS receiver [SIZE=1](£43 in the UK),[/SIZE][SIZE=2] and there are other GPS receivers supported by MapThis. If you already have a PSP and your location has good details on Google maps, it's a cheap satnav system. [/SIZE]

4. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by StraightSix View Post
    Has anybody tried this? [SIZE=1](not necessarily in the Phils.)[/SIZE]

It's a PlayStation Portable (PSP), with a PSP-290 GPS receiver and MapThis free navigation software using Google maps.

MapThis:
    [SIZE=1]http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/mapthis-0-5-20-with-holux-support-for-slim-psps-79825.html[/SIZE]

I see PSP-290's selling around the same price you'd pay for a decent GPS receiver [SIZE=1](£43 in the UK),[/SIZE][SIZE=2] and there are other GPS receivers supported by MapThis. If you already have a PSP and your location has good details on Google maps, it's a cheap satnav system. [/SIZE]

I have this PSP-290 (gps unit) and my homebrew is mapthis and to download the maps I use GMDL. The philippines still doesn't have a street level map available for the PSP (from google maps, yahoo maps, microsoft maps). I only tested this to and from work which is within qc area (bulacan-panay ave). It works great. The length of position acquisition of the gps unit takes around 1-2 minutes (on open sky). I don't know whether the gps unit or the map is inaccurate because roosevelt ave and NLEX is way off.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by siacojin
    I don't know whether the gps unit or the map is inaccurate because roosevelt ave and NLEX is way off.
    It's mostly the (Google) map, so it's not really worth to use it on Philippine roads for now.

Do you have version 5 with the voice prompts? I'd like to try it ... If only because of the PSP's screen - which is very good.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by StraightSix View Post
    It's mostly the (Google) map, so it's not really worth to use it on Philippine roads for now.

Do you have version 5 with the voice prompts? I'd like to try it ... If only because of the PSP's screen - which is very good.
    I'm using version 0.5.20. It does have voice prompt like speed warning. I still haven't tried the turn by turn voice prompts because i don't know how and probably, we don't have geodata/route for the philippines (for PSP) yet. Is there a way to download the map from openstreetmap.org instead of google maps, ms virtual earth, etc.?

7. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Alam ko na kung pano magdownload ng maps sa openstreetmap.org, meron kasi dun street level ng quezon city at some part ng manila, much better sa google at microsoft. I'll test this and i'll try to give some feedbacks later

8. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Quick question:
    If I load the Philippine map into my Nuvi 660, will it erase my original map (North America)? Just want to know if I can seemlessly use it whenever I am in Manila or here in the US?

TIA

9. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchtower View Post
    Quick question:
    If I load the Philippine map into my Nuvi 660, will it erase my original map (North America)? Just want to know if I can seemlessly use it whenever I am in Manila or here in the US?

TIA
    For my 250w both are loaded. Then using settings you can choose what map to use

10. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    To be safe, load the Philippine map on an SD card via card reader. Don't hook up the Nuvi via USB to your computer. One wrong move and you'll lose the factory-installed US maps.....