New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 38 of 76 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by meledson
    ^^^ Keep the device turned on

You can thank Nokia for deciding to use TI (Texas Instruments) chipsets. They started using it on their first GPS phone (N95), and correct me if I'm wrong, they're still using it on the current models.

Of course some people aren't bothered with it ... but having receivers with TTFF's of less than a minute it was a pain for me to wait for my N95, so I use the "better" ones when driving.

Some device manufacturers have a feature for Assisted-GPS where the device can get GPS data from the network and hasten the TTFF. It all depends on the model if it has one, so check the specs na lang. It may even be called by another name, but Assisted-GPS it still is.

One of my receivers has the SiRF III chipset (w/o aGPS) and gets a fix in 20 seconds. It's almost ready after I put in my destination. And in the UK, that can be as short as the house number and 7-char postal code - no need to type the street name nor city (the postal code already has that info) ... and I bought that thing a year before the N95 came out of the shops here.

Quote Originally Posted by Snorkle
    Who has the best price for NUVI 200? Nagtanong ako sa mga car shops, P12,000 daw.
    Ginto pala presyo diyan. At today's exchange rate, the Nuvi 200 costs P5.900 in the UK and P1,000 more for the widescreen version (Nuvi 200W). Mas mura pa siguro sa US. Yun nga lang, the warranty's going to be a pain.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    N95 is really known to be slow to lock-on in it's GPS mode. The newer units equipped with GPS are faster like the 6110 Navigator etc.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    naorasan ko ang pag satellite lock ng 5800, 3 minutes...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by testament11 View Post
    naorasan ko ang pag satellite lock ng 5800, 3 minutes...
    depending on last use and location, my gps equipped phone lock-on takes 30 seconds to 3 minutes.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    the nuvi 250w that i used takes just about the same time (30 seconds - 3 mins) to lock in. and yes, initial lock in takes a long time. most of the time satellite lock-in is almost instant.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    meron sa V-Mall, Greenhills at around P9,000
    At what particular section(Store?)? which floor? thanks.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by wahzai_swy View Post
    At what particular section(Store?)? which floor? thanks.
    3rd floor... it's the first store on your right on the center corridor (on the left is a video store).

8. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    N95 is really known to be slow to lock-on in it's GPS mode. The newer units equipped with GPS are faster like the 6110 Navigator etc.
    When you first described your 6110 in earlier posts, you claimed a cold start TTFF of a couple of minutes. The N95 I have takes more than 2 minutes.

That's a big improvement.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Useful ba talaga ang GPS sa Metro Manila? Sa sobrang cramp dito with small roads branching everywhere and streets with multiple names, does it help ba?

10. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    i used gps while going to sm mall of asia. what i noticed, how does the gps calculate the route to take? does it depends sa settings yan?