New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 18 of 76 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    I was browsing for updates when I stumbled on something that may be useful to others. It's the download page of the Garmin Mobile XT from the Garmin website.

The Garmin Mobile XT is a software that lets you pair a GPS receiver and turn your handheld device into a fully functional SatNav unit. Supported devices are PDA's running on Palm OS or Windows Mobile (ie Treo, XDA, HTC) and cellphones running on Symbian S60 or UIQ3 (ie Nokia E6x, Nokia N7x, SE P990, SE M600, SE W950).

To check your phone's version of the Symbian OS, go to: http://www.symbian.com/phones/index.html

Without a GPS receiver, you can still use Garmin Mobile XT as a digital map on your device. The download page does not include a detailed map, but you can still load the free detailed map of the Philippines from GPS Roadguide via the Mapsource software.

The download page for the installation files are at: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/do...ID=139&pID=420

The User's Manual is at: http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/Garmi...nersManual.pdf

If you read a warning saying that the installation file is incomplete (ie without the help files, voice files) don't worry as those are included in the support files download on the same page. Another thing to note is that these free versions of Garmin Mobile XT do not include support for built-in GPS receivers ... like that on the N95, XDA Orbit, etc.

The thing that I'm not sure is if these versions support external GPS receivers other than the Garmin Bluetooth GPS receiver. I'll give it a try on my XDA Exec (and Bluetooth SiRF III receiver) once I get an extra SD card for it.

I hope it works ... it could be the cheapest SatNav available for Philippine users. I've seen Bluetooth GPS receivers on ebay-Ph before for less than P3k.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by StraightSix View Post
    I was browsing for updates when I stumbled on something that may be useful to others. It's the download page of the Garmin Mobile XT from the Garmin website.

The Garmin Mobile XT is a software that lets you pair a GPS receiver and turn your handheld device into a fully functional SatNav unit. Supported devices are PDA's running on Palm OS or Windows Mobile (ie Treo, XDA, HTC) and cellphones running on Symbian S60 or UIQ3 (ie Nokia E6x, Nokia N7x, SE P990, SE M600, SE W950).

To check your phone's version of the Symbian OS, go to: http://www.symbian.com/phones/index.html

Without a GPS receiver, you can still use Garmin Mobile XT as a digital map on your device. The download page does not include a detailed map, but you can still load the free detailed map of the Philippines from GPS Roadguide via the Mapsource software.

The download page for the installation files are at: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/do...ID=139&pID=420

The User's Manual is at: http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/Garmi...nersManual.pdf

If you read a warning saying that the installation file is incomplete (ie without the help files, voice files) don't worry as those are included in the support files download on the same page. Another thing to note is that these free versions of Garmin Mobile XT do not include support for built-in GPS receivers ... like that on the N95, XDA Orbit, etc.

The thing that I'm not sure is if these versions support external GPS receivers other than the Garmin Bluetooth GPS receiver. I'll give it a try on my XDA Exec (and Bluetooth SiRF III receiver) once I get an extra SD card for it.

I hope it works ... it could be the cheapest SatNav available for Philippine users. I've seen Bluetooth GPS receivers on ebay-Ph before for less than P3k.
    are you using garmin also? also the downloaded garmin philippine maps from freewebs? if you track it, some of the maps are not accurate. How do you correct it?

3. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    If ever you will be interested in GPS-based vehicle tracking, we are the provider of it's products and services. An AVL (automatic vehicle Locator) unit will be install in your vehicle that will collect data from GPS satellites and report vehicle position to our servers, and that will inturn process the data and make them available thru the Internet or your mobile phone. Location on maps can be viewed in your PCs. It has capabilities like over-speeding alert, over-staying alert, immobilizer, geo-fencing and many others.
    For more inquiries please call us on 8300911, for Asian Navigation & Tracking Systems, Inc., elpie.gatpandan*ants.ph, or visit our website at www.ants.ph

4. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Our products and services are not car navigation but, if ever you will be interested in GPS-based vehicle tracking, we are the provider of it's products and services. An AVL (automatic vehicle Locator) unit will be install in your vehicle that will collect data from GPS satellites and report vehicle position to our servers, and that will inturn process the data and make them available thru the Internet or your mobile phone. Location on maps can be viewed in your PCs. It has capabilities like over-speeding alert, over-staying alert, immobilizer, geo-fencing and many others.
    For more inquiries please call us on 8300911, for Asian Navigation & Tracking Systems, Inc., elpie.gatpandan*ants.ph, or visit our website at www.ants.ph

5. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by wilfy819 View Post
    are you using garmin also? also the downloaded garmin philippine maps from freewebs? if you track it, some of the maps are not accurate. How do you correct it?
    Software lang sa akin ... I have Garmin Mobile XT installed on my Nokia N95, along with the City Navigator European maps and the freewebs Philippine map. But I'm not in the Philippines, so I haven't tried navigating with the freewebs map, yet.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Hi everyone.

I just want to know if it is "FREE" to use Garmin GPS service in the Philippines or do I have to pay a system provider or something. Because, one of my officemates in the Philippines told me that I should not buy a Garmin GPS here in US because GPS service in the Philippines is not free and very expensive.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Huh? maybe GPRS..not GPS.

If you are familiar on how GPS works...it only needs to see the sky..where the satellites are orbiting our planet.
    And to prove it..I have a handheld Etrex Venture which has been with me since 2001...been to South Korea, Thailand, Middle East, Germany, France, LA and NY in USA. It works everywhere..the only drawback is power. It needs AA batteries.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Mga ginigiliw kong KakanTSIKOT!!! Ako po'y lubos na nasisiyahan sa mga talunton at mga pagkakabalikatan ng mga bagay bagay tungkol sa GPS, mawalang galang lang po sana na kung ako po'y inyong pahihintulutan nawa'y puede ko po sana bang malaman kung saan ako dapat makapunta at sadyang maituturo po ninyo ang bilihan nitong yaring GPS na ire.
    Ako po sa aking paki wari eh malaking makakaginhawa sa atin mga manlalakbay kung tayo ay mayroon nireng GPS na ire.
    Ano na po ba ang pinaka bago at siyang siyantipikong sa araw na ire eh ubod ng galing ane.
    Kung sino man po ang makakatulong sa akin na ako po'y malaman ang presyo at kung ito mababailing tindahan ay lubos ko na po pasasalamat sa inyo lahat!!!

9. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by gbaltaza View Post
    Hi everyone.

I just want to know if it is "FREE" to use Garmin GPS service in the Philippines or do I have to pay a system provider or something. Because, one of my officemates in the Philippines told me that I should not buy a Garmin GPS here in US because GPS service in the Philippines is not free and very expensive.
    Libre naman ...

Baka nalito lang kaibigan mo, GPS tracking vis-a-vis GPS navigation, although there are GPS navigation units that charge an annual (or monthly) fee. An example is the one using the Mitac Mio (I forgot the software), posted somewhere sometime here in tsikot as the 1st GPS navigation system in the Philippines. Another is Nokia's Smart2Go, which came pre-loaded in my N95.

But if it's a Garmin, I think the only additional charges are optional features like XM Navtraffic - similar to the UK's Traffic Message Channel - that feeds broadcasted data to the satnav to navigate around traffic tie-ups and accidents. Besides being an option for some units, AFAIK there's no such system in the Philippines, so satellite navigation for most units (even non-Garmins) is pretty much free.

BTW, GPS satellites were put in place by the US Department of Defense. Ronald Reagan issued a directive for its services to be made available for free for civilian use, after the Soviets shot down KAL Flight 007 that went off-course into Soviet airspace in the early 80's.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by betkap_cabalen View Post
    Kung sino man po ang makakatulong sa akin na ako po'y malaman ang presyo at kung ito mababailing tindahan ay lubos ko na po pasasalamat sa inyo lahat!!!
    Kabayan, nakakatuwa naman ang iyong mga kataga

Yung Garmin nuvi 200W is US$249.99++ (8.25% tax). Lalabas sya P11,367 ($1:P42) I bought 3 units and will sell it in the Philippines once I get back by July. Whoever is interested just PM me. First 3 tsikoteers will be prioritized. I will also include the latest RP maps, just provide your own SD card.
    Last edited by gbaltaza; April 23rd, 2008 at 01:55 AM. Reason: Garmin 200W is $249 not $299