New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 58 of 158 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268108 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl Green View Post
    maganda ang M/T sa city driving at sa long drive, sa A/T maganda e2 sa akyatan pero hindi na tipid sa gas consumption. M/T kapag hindi ka masyado pupunta sa mga matataas or incline roads.
    Parang baliktad, nakakabitin nga sa akyatan A/T kelangan ka mag shift sa 2 or O/D off pag super tarik L even downhill para mag engine brake edi para ka narin nag manual. City driving mas maganda naman A/T lalo na pag traffic

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow3616931 View Post
    Parang baliktad, nakakabitin nga sa akyatan A/T kelangan ka mag shift sa 2 or O/D off pag super tarik L even downhill para mag engine brake edi para ka narin nag manual. City driving mas maganda naman A/T lalo na pag traffic
    That mostly applies to older A/Ts. Newer ones are more intelligent and will automatically down-shift or up-shift depending on road grade, speed, engine load, RPM, throttle position and brake pedal position.

For rare situations wherein you need to lock or limit the A/T's intervention, a set of fixed gear positions (ie. L1, 1, 2 or L2), limited gearing (ie. D3) and/or sequential manual gearing are usually available to give the driver a bit more flexibility. But in most typical driving situations, you'll be fine with D.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    That mostly applies to older A/Ts. Newer ones are more intelligent and will automatically down-shift or up-shift depending on road grade, speed, engine load, RPM, throttle position and brake pedal position.

For rare situations wherein you need to lock or limit the A/T's intervention, a set of fixed gear positions (ie. L1, 1, 2 or L2), limited gearing (ie. D3) and/or sequential manual gearing are usually available to give the driver a bit more flexibility. But in most typical driving situations, you'll be fine with D.
    My A/T car is 09 Fortuner 2.7 vvti I don't think this is old, my previous a/t cars were Xtrail 200X, City idsi 7 speed CVT, neither these.

IMO, M/T is better during uphill you can proactively select to the correct gear right on time before the speed drops due to inclination, not like in A/T it's a reactive shifting, it will shift if it senses difficulty, there is already a drop in speed before it down shifts so bitin. That's why I use 2 during uphill like kennon, its shifting is quicker than D

4. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    If I'm going to drive through flooded streets water level around half the wheel base, I would definitely not be wanting to drive my a/t car, any floods m/t is the only thing for me.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ans_lim168 View Post
    If I'm going to drive through flooded streets water level around half the wheel base, I would definitely not be wanting to drive my a/t car, any floods m/t is the only thing for me.
    yup, palit lang ng gear oil kung malalim talaga ang baha pero at least kaya pang paandarin at of course, any gear oil will do.

sa matic, masyadong sensitive pagdating sa ATF, maaari pang malitson kapag nalusong hehe.

anyway, bihira lang naman yung ganitong pagkakataon siguro.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ans_lim168 View Post
    But technically, you stand a better chance of driving out of a flood in an A/T than on an M/T. A/T assemblies are practically sealed. The only time water could get in is through the breather tube or dip-stick. However, these are usually situated high up and above the A/T assembly. All friction parts in an A/T are effectively sealed from the outside.

On the other hand, once water breaches the clutch housing of the M/T assembly (which is one of the lowest parts of the car), you're likely to be immobilized.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    But technically, you stand a better chance of driving out of a flood in an A/T than on an M/T. A/T assemblies are practically sealed. The only time water could get in is through the breather tube or dip-stick. However, these are usually situated high up and above the A/T assembly. All friction parts in an A/T are effectively sealed from the outside.

On the other hand, once water breaches the clutch housing of the M/T assembly (which is one of the lowest parts of the car), you're likely to be immobilized.
    I agree! Have driven both A/t and M/T in flooded street, AT is better.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Blip!

Double post.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2007

Just yesterday when it rained heavily, the flood outside our street is about 4 and a half inch deep, my City type Z m/t was able to wade through the flooded street, our Civic Vti 2000 although may be able to pass our streets but I would not gamble on my car's a/t.

I was able to negotiate the flooded street in 5 to 10 minutes at 1st gear around 10kms per hour, versus my vti the gear would have to shift to 2nd when I hit at least 20 kms/hr, otherwise the car would stay in 1st gear around 1.5k at the tacometer, that would not be an ideal position to be in the flood.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004

During Ondoy, I spent several hours driving through floods for relief missions in my manual transmission Crosswind... in water so deep that my electrical system conked out at times.

Manual trannies are not vulnerable to floods. Most modern automatics, on the other hand, are electronically controlled... and unless they're specifically sealed, those control modules can short... and from experience... they cost a heck of a lot.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...