New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 59 of 158 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369109 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    During Ondoy, I spent several hours driving through floods for relief missions in my manual transmission Crosswind... in water so deep that my electrical system conked out at times.

Manual trannies are not vulnerable to floods. Most modern automatics, on the other hand, are electronically controlled... and unless they're specifically sealed, those control modules can short... and from experience... they cost a heck of a lot.
    This was my point exactly, a/t stands a lesser chance on a flooded street (we're talking of at least 4 inches and above of floodwater) vs. a manual transmission.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    I guess it's a case to case basis then, and it depends on the height of the vehicle. The crosswind pretty much has a high stance compared to a sedan.

I've had bad experiences with M/T in floods... twice. Got stuck both times because the clutch would no longer engage. They're on a Lancer GLXi and a Sentra ECCS.

Never on an A/T under similar situations.
    Last edited by oj88; November 26th, 2010 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Typo

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    I guess it's a case to case basis then, and it depends on the height of the vehicle. The crosswind pretty much has a high stance compared to a sedan.

I've had bad experiences with M/T in floods... twice. Got stuck both times because the clutch would no longer engage. They're on a Lancer GLXi and a Sentra ECCS.

Never on an A/T under similar situations.
    Not just height. The Crosswind's engine block was completely underwater. This is Ondoy, where we had 3-4 foot flood water.

That's funny, though... I've never had an MT car lose transmission function in water... Just don't shift...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    At the height of Ondoy I drove 1/3 of a kilometer from the house to the subdivision gate, where floodwaters were already above the hood. I prayed to high heavens that my M/T Adventure wouldn't stall. Thankfully it didn't.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2010
    i believe automatic is much more user friendly..

6. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cleogarcia View Post
    i believe automatic is much more user friendly..
    until it functions well.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ben_david19 View Post
    until it functions well.

Lahat naman ata ganun kahit M/T or A/T...

8. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LROqVLz4z8M"]YouTube - Fifth Gear - Audi TT DSG v Audi TT manual Shoot-Out[/ame]

9. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    I would like to know your insights. Let say the car is 5years old. Which is more expensive in maintenance cost or repair cost. A/T or M/T ???

10. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tradewind26 View Post
    After 4-5years, which is more expensive to maintain and repair? A/T or M/T?
    it depends on the actual condition of the car.