New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 144 of 158 FirstFirst ... 4494134140141142143144145146147148154 ... LastLast
Results 1,431 to 1,440 of 1576
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I have observed that it is better to just leave the car in D and just modulate the throttle to optimal output. Even with our old slowpoke Jazz 1.3L AT, I didn't have any issues going up steep building ramps if I put it in D. This is for the usual automatics.

For DCT, the car will be intelligent enough to stay in second gear or third gear when traversing steep ramps. For CVT, just keep the throttle steady and the tranny will put you in the right gear.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    from what i understand, "2" means car gear will be either 1 or 2 only. on "3", the choices of the car will be 1, 2, or 3. on D4, it will be full-range 4 speed.
    once, i absent-mindedly left it on "2", and i was wondering why napaka-bagal ko sa daan, kahit tinatapakan ko naman ang silinyador...

but the car seems intelligent naman.
    going up our steep parking ramp, with the stick on full D4, the gear is still on 1, even as the rpm is beyond the shifting point. i can feel when it shifts, kasi.
    Maybe. But I have yet to see an A/T that has a 2 or L2 which cycles through 1st gear.

If you read almost any owners manual, 2ng gear is typically used to get out of slippery surfaces, like snow or sleet. The reason being, 1st gear has too much torque in it so you will have to do extra work managing the gas pedal to avoid slipping. 2nd gear inherently reduces the torque available at the wheels and it makes it easier to accelerate without slipping.

If 2 or L2 cycles through first gear, it won’t make any sense under these situations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Maybe. But I have yet to see an A/T that has a 2 or L2 which cycles through 1st gear.

If you read almost any owners manual, 2ng gear is typically used to get out of slippery surfaces, like snow or sleet. The reason being, 1st gear has too much torque in it so you will have to do extra work managing the gas pedal to avoid slipping. 2nd gear inherently reduces the torque available at the wheels and it makes it easier to accelerate without slipping.

If 2 or L2 cycles through first gear, it wonÂ’t make any sense under these situations.

Believe me, in dry snow or icy surfaces, no amount of torque will help once you lose traction from your tires, even if you are driving an AWD or 4x4 vehicle. Such conditions are even worse for RWD vehicles. In snow surfaces, proceed only when you can establish grip from all 4 tires. Once you lose traction or grip, ease on the throttle and steer the car to slow down the slide until such time you get traction back. Don't ever, ever brake or your vehicle will become a battering ram to the vehicle in front of you.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    I have observed that it is better to just leave the car in D and just modulate the throttle to optimal output. Even with our old slowpoke Jazz 1.3L AT, I didn't have any issues going up steep building ramps if I put it in D. This is for the usual automatics.

For DCT, the car will be intelligent enough to stay in second gear or third gear when traversing steep ramps. For CVT, just keep the throttle steady and the tranny will put you in the right gear.
    Going up a short incline in a parking structure is totally different from an uphill drive that spans hundreds of meters.

In a short incline, you’re likely doing no more than 20 to 30kph. “D” is fine as it probably won’t shift up beyond 2nd gear.

But on long and winding uphill highway the likes of Kennon Road, you’re likely doing 50 or 60., at least. That may cause your transmission to oscillate between the last two gears. This is especially exacerbated when the vehicle is loaded to capacity. “3” or “D3” will prevent the transmission from going to overdrive, only to lose power and then shift back down again, wash rinse, repeat.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    Believe me, in dry snow or icy surfaces, no amount of torque will help once you lose traction from your tires, even if you are driving an AWD or 4x4 vehicle. Such conditions are even worse for RWD vehicles. In snow surfaces, proceed only when you can establish grip from all 4 tires. Once you lose traction or grip, ease on the throttle and steer the car to slow down the slide until such time you get traction back. Don't ever, ever brake or your vehicle will become a battering ram to the vehicle in front of you.
    No, you use 2 or L2 when starting off from standing still. It is not a cure all but it is there to help anyway.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    No, you use 2 or L2 when starting off from standing still. It is not a cure all but it is there to help anyway.

It entirely depends on the vehicle you're driving and the road condition you're facing. No amount of help from your tranny can offer if you can't even get your vehicle out of its place like a small/medium car trapped in about a tire's diameter of snow.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2019
    a/t for me

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

8. Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Most of my friends tend to go with A/T due to heavy traffic considering their cars are mostly used for city driving. Same for me, but also because of ease of use.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rhapsody9 View Post
    Most of my friends tend to go with A/T due to heavy traffic considering their cars are mostly used for city driving. Same for me, but also because of ease of use.
    while i admit, AT offers a more comfortable drive, "i feel more secure, driving my MT".
    la lang..

i have both. MT innova and AT innova.

10. Join Date
    May 2006
    MT on Mondays and Sunday.
    AT on other days and saturdays
    Mas fun yun MT above 3k rpm.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk