New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 13 of 158 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Hello! I am a new member and really thinking about buying a car of my own and i want to ask honest opinions about M/T and AT. Does having a different transmission affect fuel consumption? Which is more fuel effecient? thanks! because I am thinking about buying either of these budget cars-- Getz 1.2 GL A/T or Picanto /T. thanks again!

2. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    An A/T-equipped car is relatively heavier than an identical model equipped with M/T, which affects fuel consumption. A properly operated M/T vehicle can deliver anywhere from 5% to 15% fuel economy over an equivalent A/T variant, depending on driving conditions and driving style.

The use of a rigid clutch also makes an M/T more mechanically efficient than A/T, which uses a torque converter.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    ^ thank you so much! now its comfort againt fuel efficiency for me.. and maintainance/durability..

4. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by clinique View Post
    ^ thank you so much! now its comfort againt fuel efficiency for me.. and maintainance/durability..
    The only real advantage A/T has over M/T is comfort and the convenience of multi-tasking behind the wheel.

For maintenance, I will have to quote what motor guru niky said in another thread. This is with regards to choosing either an M/T or A/T on a pre-owned car:

Quote Originally Posted by niky
    It's much easier to break an AT outright, with poor maintenance, than an MT. The clutch of the MT provides an outlet for any transmission destroying foolishness, and costs little to replace.

With the AT, the torque converter fills the role of the clutch, but is dependent on good ATF to work. If the previous owner did not care for the car well, and did not regularly change the ATF, things can break. Expensive things.

I've had good luck with secondhand ATs, but I've seen people with very bad luck. And while fixing a secondhand manual is often the simple work of replacing a clutch or a gear or two (gears can sometimes break if the previous owner drag-raced the car...), fixing an automatic is more expensive, which is why some people just go for full box swaps.

Besides, if we're talking secondhands, the fuel economy bonus of old 5-speed manuals over old 4-speed ATs in traffic is a good reason to just go for the manual.
    Last edited by Bogeyman; February 29th, 2008 at 01:08 PM.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    again, thank you so much! I guess i will just have to work double learning about M/T (first-time driver here)...

do you happen to know where the thread about yaris, jazz, alto, picanto, getz, rio comparision? i'd really appreciate it if i will be enlightened .. thank you!

6. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Comparing the 1.3 M/T Avanza (2007) and a 1.6 A/T Altis (2002), we get basically the same FC of 12 to 13 Km per liter.

Sadyang matipid lang ang makina ng Altis?

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    It's partly because the Altis is lighter than the Avanza, and partly because the Avanza has very short gear ratios, which give it good acceleration, while the Altis, with more torque and less drivetrain losses (the Avanza's rear wheel drive means that more power is lost through the propeller shaft than in the Altis, where the power goes straight to the wheels, right beside the engine), can put the power down more easily, so the Altis's gearbox is longer geared, allowing it to turn at a lower engine speed at the same road speed as the Avanza.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    for me, its better to use an A/T for a daily driver and M/T for weekend driving

9. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Good evening guys sa akin lang okey ang AT dahil sa trapik at 4 yrs na rin ang kotse namin at ngayon lang ako nagkaroon ng manual pero nakikita ko na ang kaibahan nila, walang problema sa akin ang arangkada ng matic gaya ng ginagawa ng manual at nagagawa ko rin sa manual ang sa matic.

Ang asawa ko ang nakakadama ng malaking pagkakaiba ng matic at manual dahil sa smooth ng driving yung biglang hinto at arangkada ay hindi nararamdaman sa matic. di tulad sa manual na pag minalas pa pwedeng mamatayan ng makina.

Ako naman malaki ang pagkakaiba nila sa konsumo ng gas(AT) at diesel (manual).

PAg plano ng ruta na lang at iwas sa trapik at wag maging agresibo sa kalsada para di malakas sa konsumo.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    ive tried driving both m/t and a/t in different cars and different distances and all i could say that nothing is still compared to m/t. the only time that i like driving a/t is during traffic, otherwise, m/t is still better for me. cheaper maintenance too.