The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 12 of 158 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    sori po double post...

2. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tidus1203 View Post
    Automatic for me in general. I wanna drive manual once in awhile but for the most part mas gusto ko automatic. Especially so on stop and go traffic, I would definitely put a Mastercard "priceless" tag on the face of a very tired guy (problems at work or probably meeting a deadline tomorrow) driving along EDSA around 6pm going home on a manual transmission :lol:
    +1 ako sa mastercard part haha

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DON2003 View Post
    driving A/T is more convenient but for me its not as easy as M/T

I can do everything with M/T without the worries of hurting the tranny, engine brake to stop, accelerate to full then shift, rev & swift at high speed and rpm, engine brake to cut corners, down shift to overtake, etc etc

even the new A/T can do most of these, but I don't anyone who has a A/T will drive the car as a M/T,

I try to find a tutorial in driving a A/T or faq on how to properly drive a A/T but still can't find one, may be someone can guide me where I can be educated,
    A M/T is still prone to abuse. I had a friend force a downshift from 5th to 3rd in a freeway. It's like we hit a wall. Everything (including us inside) but the car lurched forward. Good thing he managed to re-press down on the clutch. But, it scared the crap out of me and I was so ticked off I punched his shoulder raw.

As for engine braking.... Whether engine braking with a M/T or wheel braking with an A/T, you're stressing something. With the A/T, the stress is on the brake pads while with a M/T, the stress is on the engine (just watch the rpms fly) and whatever gear the stick is at plus the clutch. Personally, I rather stress the brake pads. They're way cheaper to replace.

When I round a corner, I obviously have to apply the brakes, but just enough to make it through safely. Soon as I'm through, just punch the gas and the car goes. No need to row the gears or worry about a sub-optimal clutch release with each shift.

I'm not the most experienced driver around. But, I've driven stick almost exclusively for 13 years plus another 13 driving both stick and A/T cars. I'm comfortable with either transmission. I'd probably notice more the differences in transmission if my cars were underpowered. But, I haven't had a car lacking in hp since my 1986 Nissan Pulsar NX (55hp, 5-spd M/T).
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; February 22nd, 2008 at 07:35 PM.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by X-isle View Post
    +1 ako sa mastercard part haha
    Bro, it doesn't matter if your ride is A/T or M/T, what is important is the way you drive on the streets and you arrive safely at home knowing that your family is waiting for you at the dinner. It's everybody's ballgame, kanya kanyang preferences lang yan kung ano ang gusto mong transmission. Right, bro?

5. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    It was just meant as a comic relief by the way regarding my Mastercard statement....

6. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    I have to confess that i haven't driven an A/T but from what i understood in this thread, in order to achieve the benefits of an A/t it should at least be 5-speed so that gear ratio distribution is better. If there's an auto tranny out there that can top or even just equal my current ride's FC of 15km/L, then I'm sold na

7. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    I find that my M/T actually helps keep me alert, when I'm tired behind the wheel. The convenience and complacency brought about by an A/T would, in all probability, only make me more accident-prone.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman View Post
    I find that my M/T actually helps keep me alert, when I'm tired behind the wheel. The convenience and complacency brought about by an A/T would, in all probability, only make me more accident-prone.
    Complacency is on the driver. Either you're alert or you're not. The less distractions, the easier it is to keep an eye on the road.

If you need shifting and clutch work to stay alert, it's a cue that you should get some rest and not be out on the road because your body's impaired just like being drunk. Cops here have started taking notice of that.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; February 23rd, 2008 at 08:56 AM.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    There are instances where I'd pick a M/T:
    1. Cost - like it or not, cars with M/T are still ~$1k cheaper than A/T versions

2. Simple visceral feel - like someone said earlier, a connection with the road. But, it depends on the car such as a pure sports car, 2+2 coupes, 2-seaters, etc. If it's a run of the mill sedan/econobox, it's better for me to stick with A/T.

3. A very low-hp car.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman View Post

I totally agree with this, tapos sobrang tahimik sa loob tapos Sitti ang naka salang. PEro A/T pa rin ako when it comes to comfort. Reliability, eh, my W124 tranny (155,000km) di pa na open, so as with my tito's W123 na 22 yrs na. Only ATF fluid/filter change lang.