The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by istan View Post
    Ito na lang...
    My closest friend has a 2004 CRV with 4AT
    I have 2004 lancer mx with cvt.

Guess who did a transmission rebuild. Casa maintain pa both cars. Religious 40k transmission fluid replacement na yan.

CrV clutch packs gave out. Overhauled.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    That I have to find out. Our old cars all had AT trannies and we maintained them until we have to sell them.

It's the whole car that will age, not just the tranny. I intend to keep my FXT for some time and I will have to make sure that it's running all the time.
    Thank you for your answers, kind sirs. I myself am on the fence on this, and have not owned a CVT or plan to own one in the immediate near future. I haven't had a traditional A/T fail on me (yet), but then I haven't racked up that much mileage on any of my rides to warrant saying that they are definitely better in the long run. What I do have is all the horror stories about CVT's coming from the usual internet sources and of course a few stories from acquaintances and relatives who swear CVT's will be a pain in the butt later on. So you can imagine where all this "fear" is coming from. Hope we can get more direct experience from real owners out there like sir Istan.

BTW, sir Istan, you still have that MX Lancer in your possession?

2. Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Ito na lang...
    My closest friend has a 2004 CRV with 4AT
    I have 2004 lancer mx with cvt.

Guess who did a transmission rebuild. Casa maintain pa both cars. Religious 40k transmission fluid replacement na yan.

CrV clutch packs gave out. Overhauled.

Forgot to ask, sir, which one racked up more mileage? Your Lancer or your friend's CRV?

3. Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by heavenlee View Post
    From what I've gathered, yes Toyota CVT's are reliable -- made by aisin. Those with bad CVT's come from jatco. Like the one Nissan uses.
    G4 CVTs... JATCO also... Problem is the solenoid valves.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by yebo View Post
    se, which hyundai/kia has dct?
    Accent 2016 - 2018 all DCTs

Accent 2019 back to conventional 4speed, torque-converter type AT

5. Join Date
    May 2014
    Thank you for your answers, kind sirs. I myself am on the fence on this, and have not owned a CVT or plan to own one in the immediate near future. I haven't had a traditional A/T fail on me (yet), but then I haven't racked up that much mileage on any of my rides to warrant saying that they are definitely better in the long run. What I do have is all the horror stories about CVT's coming from the usual internet sources and of course a few stories from acquaintances and relatives who swear CVT's will be a pain in the butt later on. So you can imagine where all this "fear" is coming from. Hope we can get more direct experience from real owners out there like sir Istan.

We still own our 2008 City i-Dsi CVT. But the mileage is only about 90k kms racked up on the vehicle as it is mainly a city car and we don't use it for out of town trips. For this specific unit (from what I read), one of the quicker cause of failure was actually using the manual mode of the CVT. So from the beginning, we didn't use it from brand new, except maybe a handful of times to see if it was more efficient in keeping revs low (it wasn't TBH).

Compared to the 2009 Altis 1.6E AT of my brother, I'd say the regular AT was more "simpler" to maintain, cheaper as well because of the difference in price of the CVTF compared to ATF.

But, I think when it comes to driving a CVT, there are sometimes tell tale signs that there might be something going on with the transmission and the best course of action is immediately have it checked (do not delay basically. When I say immediately, I mean don't prolong it beyond a week when you notice something off about the car's behavior/performance).

Honda advices to change CVTF every 2 years or 40k kms but since we don't drive that much (and aren't stuck in bumper to bumper traffic a lot since it is driven mostly off-peak hours), we change almost every 4 years. No CVT problems (yet) but we've replaced wheel bearings etc. So who knows really. But I still like it's performance, apart from the shudder when you don't shift to neutral when in full stop that sometimes crops up (this doesn't happen frequently, but it does happen. And when the frequency increases, time to change CVTF most likely as part of the honda diagnosis) =)

Also own a 2014 Nissan Slyphy 1.6CVT, already replaced CVTF this year after 5 years of ownership but also my mileage was barely 30k kms on the fifth year. Again, not frequently driven during rush hour but I also drive it for out of town trips sometimes. Here though, I think Nissan Philippines is too "lax" in the interval for CVTF replacement as they seem to base it only on mileage (40k kms). I had to insist they replace it at 30k and to just have them do it. I have noted some performance degredation after my more recent out of town trip that's why I told them to just include it as part of the work. Problem resolved after. But, the catch I found was that my FC tanked a little and only got back up to normal after about 1000kms, so it was like I was breaking the car in again, which was a bit odd as that wasn't the case with the Honda.

No experience with Toyota or Subaru CVT though so can't give any anecdotal evidence of ownership.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by hardwang View Post
    Avoid CVTs and DCTs. But between them, I might pick CVTs as they seem to be the lesser evil. DCTs are prone to overheating in extreme traffic.

Toyota CVTs are the most reliable but they are still CVTs... probably wonÂ’t last as long as a conventional auto
    Agreed.

Bear in mind also that different AT gens require different driving styles. For example, DCTs should be placed on N and D intermittently when in Makatigtype rush hour traffic

CVT's should be accelerated gradually, Jack rabbit starts will kill it

True to all trannys, regular and correct ATF grade is a must.

7. Join Date
    May 2006

Alive n kicking. 5 km/l FC. Lol!

8. Join Date
    May 2006
    Forgot to ask, sir, which one racked up more mileage? Your Lancer or your friend's CRV?
    Same mileage +-15k kms

9. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SidCoronel View Post
    Agreed.

Bear in mind also that different AT gens require different driving styles. For example, DCTs should be placed on N and D intermittently when in Makatigtype rush hour traffic

CVT's should be accelerated gradually, Jack rabbit starts will kill it

True to all trannys, regular and correct ATF grade is a must.
    Why would you do jackrabbit starts on any AT and CVT?
    Its impossible....

Put and drive, mash pedal and let the ECU and TCM figure out the rest.

Agree on DCT. Just drive that like a Manual that it is.

10. Join Date
    May 2014
    Alive n kicking. 5 km/l FC. Lol!

Really that low FC? below 15kmph average speed? Didn't that Lancer come with a 1.6L engine? I forgot.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast