New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TireWhisperer23 View Post
    Interesting anecdote:

If I ask an aligner to make my car go straight ahead, it pulls left when I go back out on the road.

If I ask the aligner to make the car pull right, it rolls straight when I hit the road!
    Wheel geometry is more complex than they appear. A lot of factors... steering, suspension, link/bushing conditions, tire pressure, etc. comes into play. But to your issue, I'm guessing driver weight and even how much fuel you have in the tank (and where it is located) also affects the outcome.

Try sitting in the driver seat while the aligner zero it down to drive straight.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Wheel geometry is more complex than they appear. A lot of factors... steering, suspension, link/bushing conditions, tire pressure, etc. comes into play. But to your issue, I'm guessing driver weight and even how much fuel you have in the tank (and where it is located) also affects the outcome.

Try sitting in the driver seat while the aligner zero it down to drive straight.
    i wonder,
    are the usual published suspension adjustment specifications supposed to be adjusted with the vehicle devoid of driver and passenger/load?

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    i wonder,
    are the usual published suspension adjustment specifications supposed to be adjusted with the vehicle devoid of driver and passenger/load?

I think the weight ratio between the vehicle and the driver will have something to do with it. Smaller/lighter vehicles with softer suspension paired with a heavyset driver will definitely have a more significant effect on the alignment. In this scenario, the weight of the driver should be factored in.... put him in the driver's seat while the alignment is dialed in.

Larger vehicles due to their mass, makes the driver's weight somewhat less significant and therefore, potentially negligible.
    Last edited by oj88; May 26th, 2024 at 10:47 AM.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    i wonder,
    For the Toyota products its likely to be the case for most of their products per the service manual/GSIC(atleast for the prev gen hilux & LC) that the alignment be done unladen.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456