New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    armand,

upgrade ka na agad to X800!!! ako sasalo ng FX5900 mo... :D

btw, sobrang atat na ako bumili ng bagong PC... my home PC is a P3-500 and a MMX-200... pinagiisipan ko na yung AMD64... medyo pricey lang nga...

2. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Originally posted by pajerokid
    pareng John, taken from tomshardware.com.....

The Athlon64 FX clearly beats its archrival's processors in most of our benchmarks. The Intel processors all collect points, in some cases dramatically, in speed-sensitive applications such as rendering or audio and video compression, and with applications optimized for HyperThreading. However, as soon as 3D applications and games are run, FX steamrolls ahead. That must be annoying for Intel, since the Pentium 4 Extreme Edition is targeted for these applications.

Take note that the A64 runs at about 1GHz less and costs $200 cheaper
    pero PK... aren't you are comparing a 64bit AMD processor here to only a 32bit Intel processor?... paano na kapag nag 64bit na an P4 or ang predecessor nito?.. hehehe...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by RafRaf
    pero PK... you are comparing a 64bit AMD processor here to only a 32bit Intel processor... paano na kapag nag 64bit na an P4 or ang predecessor nito?.. hehehe...
    that's what am also thinking... hehehe... :D

am an intel guy kasi... been using it since the 286 days... even my MMX-200 runs without a hitch... mas nauna pang bumigay yung hard disk kaysa sa processor...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    rafraf, m2:

mga tsong, wala tayong choice. the model after the AthlonXP IS the Athlon64.

AMD made 64bit technology available to you for free (figuratively speaking).

Walang bagong athlon na dedicated to 32 bit processing lang.

John, daan ka mamaya sa executive cubicle ko, i'll show you what rocks and what doesnt.

Kaya mo namang mag Prescott eh, so go for it! pero check out the pinoypc forums, you'll see how enthusiasts praise the AthlonXP Barton.

By the way, my Barton is of the 2500+ variety..... but im running it as a 3200+ since day 1... oh the wonders of overclocking!
    Last edited by pajerokid; July 1st, 2004 at 12:17 PM.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    I guess that's why AMD wanted to bring out AMD 64bit desktop processor prematurely (meaning while few 64bit SW existing)... probably once Intel's 64bit desktop processor steps in (with the hyperthreading, and soon the ultra-hyperthreading) unless AMD come up with a comparable technology, its going to be a very enourmous challenge for AMD to keep up. But again, that will remain to be seen.

Anyway, hats off for AMD's strategy... if you can't beat the technology then strategy is the way to go.

IMHO. Just keeping the debate alive.

Last edited by RafRaf; July 1st, 2004 at 12:39 PM.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    damn... i hate this technology waiting game... i always do buy a PC that'll be upgrade free for around 3 years...

i guess we'll just have to wait on what Intel can dish out for its 64-bit processor...

but at least i get to keep my money... hehehe...

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    john, if you have to get a PC now, i highly recommend you set up yours just as i set up mine.... budget priced pero killer pa rin! WinXP Pro boots up in less than 30 seconds!

AthlonXP 2500+
    2pcs 512MB DDR
    Epox 8RDA Rev 2.0
    SB Live! sound (get an audigy)
    GeForce FX5900 Non Ultra (Go for the Radeon 9800Pro)

Promise.... this system wont let you down, plus it costs a lot less than an intel based solution.

lunch muna!

8. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    If you look at it Intel came out with 64-bit for the PC first than AMD. They followed how other Unix chips did it like Sparc, Alpha, PowerPC, PA-RISC, etc. Its called IA64 architecture the chips are called Itanium. These are geared toward the servers exclusively. In order for software to run properly you will need to recompile to IA64. Existing 32-bit software can run but much slower than existing processors since Itanium is very different in architecture. It can't run 32-bit natively. What AMD did was copy Intel's strategy when 286 16bit -> 386 32bit transistion was done. Extend the current instructions and architecture. AMD calls there technology x86-64. This is the reason why AMD64 chips can run existing application fast since it runs 32-bit natively. Intel having seen the success of AMD is going to bring up its backup plan. Pentium 5 or whatever it will call it will use x86-64, although called differently. There are rumors also circulating that IA64 will be killed.

So if you look at it AMD once again pulls of something better than Intel. It like intel and normally use intel, but not committed to it. I recommend and purchase AMD if it calls for. Like Athlon XP is really good as compared to P4 before Intel started to bring out the new P4s. AMD 386 and 486 chips are faster than Intel's chips. Now it looks like AMD64 is better.

AMD will be also using dual core, that means real 2 chips inside. Rather than Intel's hyperthreading which is virtual. In my case hyperthreading is not much help, even though I can utilize it. There was one time I needed to do testing on a project that took 4 days of straight 100% cpu usage, more than any gamer can put stress to his cpu.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by pajerokid
    john, if you have to get a PC now, i highly recommend you set up yours just as i set up mine.... budget priced pero killer pa rin! WinXP Pro boots up in less than 30 seconds!

AthlonXP 2500+
    2pcs 512MB DDR
    Epox 8RDA Rev 2.0
    SB Live! sound (get an audigy)
    GeForce FX5900 Non Ultra (Go for the Radeon 9800Pro)

Promise.... this system wont let you down, plus it costs a lot less than an intel based solution.

lunch muna!
    budget pala ha... :D

the parts that above will set me back around 30K!!! hehehe... was thinking of ditching the audigy (for now) since the epox 8RDA already has a built-in 5.1 sound. the radeon 9800pro is also pricey... ouch...

all in all - am computing for around 60K for a brand new PC...

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    yup. to fully take advantage of HT technology, your software must support it.

John, mani lang sayo yung budget niyan hehehe. You can always get a cheaper videocard and upgrade to the radeon9800 when it becomes cheaper (which is pretty soon, considering andiyan na ang x800).

Pero if gaming is your priority, then your vidcard will be the heart of your system.

By the way, the X800 pro (12 pixel pipelines) is now priced at 24k in the black market. This should offer at least 50% better performance than the 9800XT (top of line, better than 9800Pro). The x800 ultimate (16 pipeline version) will cost an arm and a leg when it comes out.

and another thing. Make sure you get a mobo which supports SATA and corresponding SATA HDD. This I missed out on coz when i last upgraded my pc, these things were just starting out.
    Last edited by pajerokid; July 1st, 2004 at 02:39 PM.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
AMD vs Intel