New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    badkuk,

Those where the days when athlon chips did not have a thermal diode built in into the chip. Intel had them I think since p3. The diode can detect the temp of the cpu and slow down or shutdown the cpu before it fries. Newer chips from AMD has this, they learned their lesson the hard way.

But this does not mean that AMD chips overheat. It means that when an AMD chip overheat due to say poor ventilation, improper installation of heatsink, etc. it will get fried. Intel chips is smart enough to save itself from these situations.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Been an AMD users for 5 years so pro ako dito sa A64. Pero if you have the bucks, P4 na.Better wait for the 64bit OS for the A64=)

3. Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Been an AMD users for 5 years so pro ako dito sa A64. Pero if you have the bucks, P4 na.Better wait for the 64bit OS for the A64=)

4. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    jkyamog is right those were the old athlon thunderbird and duron spitfire cores.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by jkyamog
    badkuk,

Those where the days when athlon chips did not have a thermal diode built in into the chip. Intel had them I think since p3. The diode can detect the temp of the cpu and slow down or shutdown the cpu before it fries. Newer chips from AMD has this, they learned their lesson the hard way.

But this does not mean that AMD chips overheat. It means that when an AMD chip overheat due to say poor ventilation, improper installation of heatsink, etc. it will get fried. Intel chips is smart enough to save itself from these situations.
    but isn't it that newer Athlon XPs have a thermal sensor too which slows down the chip or shuts down the PC to prevent chip damage?

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Re the much publicized heat problems of athlons, i have never ever experienced even one instance of it. and do take note, all my athlons run overclocked.

had a Tbird 1.2GHz unit running at 1.4GHz

my Barton 2500+ runs at 3200+ without even breaking a sweat.

of course my monster fan and copper heat sink has something to do with this, but the configuration is still pretty much conventional.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    intel or amd... nvidia or ati... just a matter of personal preference... either will do their job well...

the thing i like about intel processors is that you get to match them with corresponding intel chipsets... we all know that intel chipsets are rock-solid when it comes to performance, stability, and compatibility...

8. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    ghosthunter,

Yes the newer AMD chips has thermal sensor. I think Athlon XP and up, when I stated old I meant really old ones pre XP days. As confirmed by Jeff it was the tbird and spitfire below.

Lets take the a real example, pajerokid Tbird. No overheat issues even when o/c. The real issue is if the fan stops the cpu does not have a thermal sensor to detect its about to fry. So when it gets fried if pajerokid was not aware about this thermal sensor stuff, he will attribute it that amd has heat issues. Luckily pajerokid knows about this so he will see to it the fan will run through regular maintenance and maybe bios and software alarm.

I agree with turk182, both brands are very good. So its personal preferrence and at the time of purchase which brand has the edge.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Nobody has ever proposed a serious alternative to the Von Neumann architecture. These two companies are probably nearing the limits of this configuration, but is there really any other viable alternative?

Wala lang magawa. Hehehe.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    IMO, while an on-chip thermometer is nice, most mobos have them too. Just enable the warning/shutdown thingie in the bios

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
AMD vs Intel