New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 235 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    tama nga, mas mabuti kung malapit lang sa makina at lagyan lang ng cooling fan para iwas butas, bato o tubig...

okey lang po ba ang pressure kung kahit anong intercooler ang gamitin ko like from Sportage o Mitsu 4d56 sa Toyo 3C-T namin? some thread I found here says that it may lose pressure if you add an intercooler, but Imo I don't find it negative since intercoolers have small passage.

o baka puwede rin yung intercooler ng evo?

someone posted in other thread that 4d56T intercooler surplus costs 3k-4k. Ouch... for spending just to have fun... sana may 2k, kung wala, baka nextyear ko nalang ituloy....
    Last edited by rion; October 4th, 2006 at 11:15 AM.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rion View Post
    DieselDude at mga Expert Guys,

kacheck ko lang sa spare Toyota 3C-tdi engine namin, hindi pala kasama yung Intercooler(Radiator/condenser) ba tawag nyan? Does the 3C-TDI originally have an intercooler? If this is an add-on you are planning, power gains will not be substantial.

anyways, mukhang simple lang pala... I think... you just connect from the Turbo output, then out to the intake right? Turbo-to-Intercooler-to-Intake
    It is simple talaga but......

then how much would a Surplus intercooler cost? D ko Alam. Ano kaya ang brand na pinaka smallest or the most thin/compact cooler? Using an undersized intercooler will put air restrictions and may cause low power problems due to insufficient air flow to your engine. Make sure that you are getting the right size. Surplus lang siguro ang bilhin ko kasi mura at pang experiment/fun lang. Correct.

at okey po ba ilagay siya sa ilalim ng van? just 5-8 degrees, at lagyan lang ng protection against rocks and hard surface just like our Aircon's condensers are located... Intercoolers are ideally located nearest the turbo's air discharge port and the engine intake manifold to save on hose, plumbing, and clamping costs, as well as to minimize on parasitic losses due to the added weight. You also need good hoses as they operate on vacuum (no boost) and pressure (on boost). Hoses can collapse on vacuum mode with a restricted air filter. Hoses can also burst if your boost pressure is too high, of if they rub onto other vehicle components due to insufficient clamping.

ilustrated in this 1 minute drawing from photoshop:

Looks simple but ........., not that simple. Enjoy your experiment.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Sir what's fuel knock po?

4. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Baka naman engine knock?

5. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kakabakaba_kaba View Post
    Sir what's fuel knock po?
    Fuel knock is a condition wherein the engine knocks loudly like a mechanical hammering within, and is often more evident as the engine is revved up.

This can occur as a single knock on a specific cylinder every two engine revolutions. Most probable cause is a faulty injector nozzle. To determine which cylinder is knocking, loosen one injector pipe at a time. This will allow fuel to leak off, and no fuel will be delivered to the specific injector. The cylinder which ceases to knock has the faulty nozzle.

Knock can also be multiple, occurring on all cylinders. Most probable cause is an advanced fuel injection pump timing, and/or faulty EGR system.........

Are you having this problem now?

6. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieseldude View Post
    Are you having this problem now?
    Am not so sure sir. One of the mechanic in Autotechnika told me that it was "fuel knocking" but i just had my injection pump calibrated at Betan last summer.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kakabakaba_kaba View Post
    Am not so sure sir. One of the mechanic in Autotechnika told me that it was "fuel knocking" but i just had my injection pump calibrated at Betan last summer.
    You are the better judge of your vehicle's condition than any mechanic as you drive it regularly. Did you specifically request the shop to correct a fuel knock problem when you first brought it in?

By the way, what is your vehicle?

Keep me posted.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Dieseldude,

What happens with a diesel engine with a too lean fuel mixture?

What happens with it if its too rich?

Whats the difference with an advanced injection pump timing and a retarded one?

Any info on these is highly appreciated. Thanks.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Does the 3C-TDI originally have an intercooler? If this is an add-on you are planning, power gains will not be substantial.
    no this is not an add-on. there are 3C-T and 3C-Te variants. the 3C-T has no Intercooler while 3C-Te has intercooler installed, but same engine displacement and Turbo.
    Intercoolers are ideally located nearest the turbo's air discharge port and the engine intake manifold to save on hose, plumbing, and clamping costs, as well as to minimize on parasitic losses due to the added weight.
    unfortunately I'm out of space, I will have to put it under the bumper that will cost me atleast 1 meter each on IN and another 1 meter on OUT.

though there is another better location, putting it in the middle near the exhaust catalyst, will cost me just half a meter hose each... if I can find a smaller intercooler because the 4d56 intercooler is a bit big....

follow up question lang po, can I boost pressure in the turbo just by adjusting packing between the compressor housing and the wastegate mounting bracket with washers?

and should I increase the fuel pump timing after installing the intercooler?

determined po ako mag experiment but I'm still wating for my brother to go with me to buy the intercooler. madali kasi ako ma-oto eh...

additional question din sa engine knock... how about you hear knocks on idle, but on High revs nawa-wala naman...? is it an engine knock or something else?
    Last edited by rion; October 18th, 2006 at 01:00 AM. Reason: additional Q

10. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rion View Post
    no this is not an add-on. there are 3C-T and 3C-Te variants. the 3C-T has no Intercooler while 3C-Te has intercooler installed, but same engine displacement and Turbo.

unfortunately I'm out of space, I will have to put it under the bumper that will cost me atleast 1 meter each on IN and another 1 meter on OUT.

though there is another better location, putting it in the middle near the exhaust catalyst, will cost me just half a meter hose each... if I can find a smaller intercooler because the 4d56 intercooler is a bit big....

follow up question lang po, can I boost pressure in the turbo just by adjusting packing between the compressor housing and the wastegate mounting bracket with washers? Yes you can, but I don't recommend it. Measure your boost at full load before making any adjustments.

and should I increase the fuel pump timing after installing the intercooler? Don't make any changes first. Your intial timing is probably ok.

determined po ako mag experiment but I'm still wating for my brother to go with me to buy the intercooler. madali kasi ako ma-oto eh...

additional question din sa engine knock... how about you hear knocks on idle, but on High revs nawa-wala naman...? is it an engine knock or something else? Some diesel engines seem to knock a bit louder at low idle.
    Try to do it one thing at a time. First, measure your engine's performance at it's present condition. Then add the intercooler and check performance again. Then, do the wastegate adjustment if you really want, and measure again. ........ then injection timing. This way, you can really gauge if improvement was gained in each modification phase.

Diesel Fuel Injection System Help Desk