New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines



Page 56 of 64 FirstFirst ... 646525354555657585960 ... LastLast
Results 551 to 560 of 639
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    12,430
    #551
    my beef w/ disposable filters is that they're disposable.

    you can just imagine the volume of garbage these kind of filtration stuff generate year in and year out.

    i'm not a tree hugger per se naman but anyone who has seen or been in the vicinity of landfills, most likely know what i'm getting at. those plastic frames from discarded air filters will take eons to degrade - especially when you take in to consideration that the words global warming and pollution were already mentioned in a previous post. what's worse is if these plasticky stuff found their way to our oceans and rivers. paktay na.

    as for oil filters, at least the aluminum used in them are recyclable like their paper like elements - that's what i reckon anyway. of course, i don't know if, here in the country, they are indeed being recycled.

    i know it sounds corny but i'm all for reusing and recycling whenever possible. kawawa naman pinas at mga succeeding generations kung puro basura na lang ang makikita nila.
    Last edited by baludoy; July 1st, 2020 at 07:54 PM.

  2. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    21,380
    #552
    Quote Originally Posted by baludoy View Post
    my beef w/ disposable filters is that they're disposable.

    you can just imagine the volume of garbage these kind of filtration stuff generate year in and year out.

    i'm not a tree hugger per se naman but anyone who has seen or been in the vicinity of landfills, most likely know what i'm getting at. those plastic frames from discarded air filters will take eons to degrade - especially when you take in to consideration that the words global warming and pollution were already mentioned in a previous post. what's worse if these plasticky stuff found their way to our oceans and rivers. paktay na.

    as for oil filters, at least the aluminum used in them are recyclable like their paper like elements - at least that's what i reckon. of course, i don't know if, here in the country, they are indeed being recycled.

    i know it sounds corny but i'm all for reusing and recycling whenever possible. kawawa naman pinas at mga succeeding generation kung puro basura na lang ang makikita nila.
    Same sentiments, that is why I use K&N engine filter para reusable. Oil filter at fuel filter no choice eh, disposable talaga. Kaya kung meron lang long drain interval filter yun din bibilhin ko.

    I even tested how long a Vic fuel filter will be able to be used before engine starts stalling and it was around 17,000kms or so, so kahit 10,000kms bago magpalit ng fuel filter, it is still safe...yan na tuloy ginagawa ko. Just buy a good brand at least. I think even 15,000kms for fuel filter would be okay as long as hindi madumi fuel sa area/location mo like in the cities.

  3. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,938
    #553
    Spin-on tin-can filters are being replaced by cartridge filters for environmental friendly reason, but they still end up as mixed-waste(paper/plastic/oil) in the landfill. Ultimate solution is to go full electric, but then again the carbon footprint and battery disposal becomes the next argument.

    Disposable filters has low efficiency. Semi-clogged filters offers much better efficiency, you just have to be wary of the added air resistance.-read it somewhere in CumminsFiltration site.

  4. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,938
    #554
    Quote Originally Posted by JapanABC View Post
    Your surgical mask actually doesn't do anything against fine dust, particulate matter of 2.5 and below and other harmful matters. Even if you disregard pollen as a small matter, but for people that are sensitive or with asthma or sinusitis or gets easily attack by allergic rhinitis is a big deal since it could lead to sore throat and continuous intake of antihistamines, decongestant and antibiotics which is harmful to the body since your body will develop resistance to those drugs and in the future you would need higher dosage. My wife is actually a doctor in Otorhinolaryngology or layman's term ENT(Ear, Nose & Throat) and she is like me a car guy/gal.

    Surgical mask are not effective in filtering out dust, particulate matter and etc... the effective mask are N95 & respirators like 3M, Honeywell & etc...

    Attachment 36918

    Again meron kasi tayong practice dito sa Pilipinas na actually mali.

    "Kung ano ang nakasanayan yun nalang ang susundin." - this statement is very wrong

    Kung ano man nakasanayan ng isang tao doesn't mean na tama.

    May ibang maka lumang mekaniko na sinasabi na wala daw kwenta ang thermostat kaya kapag nasisira tinatapon nalang nila, alam mo ano reason? Kasi nakasanayan na nila daw ang reason and wala naman daw problema.

    The world is constantly changing you must also update your knowledge in the present time, global warming is real and so is the pollution clouding the world, you can't see it with your eyes but if nasa province ka or wherever place you are try my advice lumabas ka ng bahay mo sa gabi at gumamit ka ng high powered or high lumens flashlight itapat mo sa langit makikita mo kung gaano kaalikabok or kadumi ang lugar mo.

    Fenix USA high powered flashlights
    Welcome to Fenix(R) | Official USA Site | Brightest Flashlights & Headlamps
    Time has changed, Emission controls changed, pollution never changed. The jeepney drivers are still alive, Im still alive after inhaling those particulate matters.

    Your wife maybe an ENT doc but I myself was once an asthmatic patient. I took steroid plus some sort of dust inhaler. It functions as stimulant and make the immune system non-reactive to allergens/dust. Just look at the kids nowadays, mga hikain. konting dapo lang ng dumi dikit sa pores may rashes.konting usok, hika..that's because the body hasn't adapted to the dirty environment.

    Going back to the cabin filter. My opinion still goes that its just a cabin filter no big deal. I'm not going to die if i don't use one or use the cheapest one. Its not a soo critical part of the car that detriments my health. If so, it would take decades before I die or 5yrs before the evaporator aluminum craps out-by that time i would just have to replace the evaporator

    Please don't start with thermostat as its a different topic and veery far from what a cabin filter does. Your Fenix spot lamp is useful because the smog in the metro is very noticeable you could seldom see the stars, compare that in the province the skies are clearer. That smog also traps the heat and makes your night hotter aka greenhouse effect. Peace bro

  5. Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    336
    #555
    Quote Originally Posted by 12vdc View Post
    Time has changed, Emission controls changed, pollution never changed. The jeepney drivers are still alive, Im still alive after inhaling those particulate matters.

    Your wife maybe an ENT doc but I myself was once an asthmatic patient. I took steroid plus some sort of dust inhaler. It functions as stimulant and make the immune system non-reactive to allergens/dust. Just look at the kids nowadays, mga hikain. konting dapo lang ng dumi dikit sa pores may rashes.konting usok, hika..that's because the body hasn't adapted to the dirty environment.

    Going back to the cabin filter. My opinion still goes that its just a cabin filter no big deal. I'm not going to die if i don't use one or use the cheapest one. Its not a soo critical part of the car that detriments my health. If so, it would take decades before I die or 5yrs before the evaporator aluminum craps out-by that time i would just have to replace the evaporator

    Please don't start with thermostat as its a different topic and veery far from what a cabin filter does. Your Fenix spot lamp is useful because the smog in the metro is very noticeable you could seldom see the stars, compare that in the province the skies are clearer. That smog also traps the heat and makes your night hotter aka greenhouse effect. Peace bro
    Yeah even my flashlights and other camping gear I buy is always the good stuff hehehe, Coleman & etc.... Fenix is actually one of the best brands of flashlights in the USA. I love buying high quality stuff which is the bang for the buck for me kasi less waste since the products lasts really for a long time. Pagdating sa health kasi I will never settle for less as health is wealth, it also depends din sa lifestlye if approximately lang ha without considering the accidents/misfortunes that might happen will really help prolong my life as long as I can, since doc si MISIS kailangan all caps kasi siya commander hehehe sabi niya using prescribed drugs can kill your liver or kidney depending on the drug type, which will cause long term side effects that will lead to kidney and liver diseases if you take those prescribed medicines madalas. So in order to prevent that from happening as much as possible I keep my self healthy through regular exercise(hindi intense like heavy weight lifting hehe), herbal drinks like boiled ginger tea with lemon and natural honey, ampalaya tea and other natural healthy fruits and herbs para to build my immune system through a healthier way from vitamins C, D, E and etc... Sabi nga ng mga doctors prevention is better than the cure. Even doctors pag dating sa sarili nila they don't take those medications if kaya as much as possible kasi alam nila long term side effects sa katawan, it might now show now or 2-3 years from now pero it will show after 15 years and above. Hindi kasi instant ang ibang diseases, like terminal diseases takes a long time to develop inside a body.

    Actually cabin filters are detrimental to the health because of the current situation of our environment it's getting more polluted by the day especially sa Southeast Asia like Thailand, Indonesia and the Philippines kasi diesel loving car market tayo. So more fine dust from diesel exhaust are clouding our skies. Car manufacturers engineers developed the cabin filter for a reason the same way the oil filters were developed by Purolator in the 1920s, there is a reason why they are developing such filters and other parts for newer car models since they developed them based on the current situation and the studied forecast ng pollution natin. Compared sa panahon ng lolo and tatay natin less human population mas nakikita pa nila blue skies pero sa panahon natin sobra na daming population and more population means more cars, trucks, buses, motorcycles, powerplants, factories & etc... is equals to more pollution.

    Actually I'm also using an app sa smartphone ko IQAir Air Visual app sa android and iphone it detects the air quality rating if it is healthy or not sa per city and province.
    Makikita mo sa ratings ng US Air Quality Index sa Marikina 60 US AQI rating ngayon, so doon palang moderate na ang air quality sa toxic pollution, considering walang masyadong sasakyan, trucks & etc... tumatakbo ngayon GCQ ahh, what more kung normal days for sure much worse ang air quality index.

    Peace bro, no friction hahaha just a healthy forums for all members to learn and share experiences ang Tsikot group.

    0-02-06-68b851225d34c303054360c49d9cb0998b98fb8e1f4ac4615e508bf0d21dad5c_48be9732.jpg

    P.S. brought the thermostat topic because was implying that it has its uses that why it was developed not because it is the same with cabin filter, but the thermostat was developed and is there for a reason and it is for engine thermal efficiency or in short it is made to protect the engine the same reason why the cabin filter was developed to protect the driver and passengers from contaminants going inside the cabin. You can watch the video of Mann+Hummel how it illustrates the air con and cabin filters.

    uksgyqs57ka.jpg

    YouTube

  6. Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    336
    #556
    Quote Originally Posted by Ry_Tower View Post
    Same sentiments, that is why I use K&N engine filter para reusable. Oil filter at fuel filter no choice eh, disposable talaga. Kaya kung meron lang long drain interval filter yun din bibilhin ko.

    I even tested how long a Vic fuel filter will be able to be used before engine starts stalling and it was around 17,000kms or so, so kahit 10,000kms bago magpalit ng fuel filter, it is still safe...yan na tuloy ginagawa ko. Just buy a good brand at least. I think even 15,000kms for fuel filter would be okay as long as hindi madumi fuel sa area/location mo like in the cities.
    K&N is actually a bad choice for engine air filters. As from my previous post there is a youtube video where many OEM type filters were tested and K&N, K&N actually wasn't able to filter the contaminants as good as the other OEM type brands. Video link below for

    Which Car Air Filter is Best? Let's find out! Fram, K&N, Wix, Purolator, & AC Delco showdown

    Also don't worry about the media being used in making oil, fuel, transmission & air filters they are made up of cellulose media which is made from all sorts of plants, since all plant matter are made up of cellulose which is itself composed of lignin, a structural component, and monomer sugars such as hexose sugars, principally glucose and fructose but also pentose sugars (5 carbon atoms) such as xylose, arabinose or galactose among several others.

    Cellulose | Definition of Cellulose by Merriam-Webster)
    What is cellulose made up of? - Quora

    The element/media inside your oil, fuel, transmission and air filters are not made from trees as you think it is. Cabin filters naman are made up of synthetic type of media fibers which I will be closely studying which materials below is a description of the materials.

    The cabin air filter is a small pleated filter made of multi-fiber paper cotton or other engineered material. Before entering the passenger compartment, outside air is directed through this filter to trap the contaminants inside the filter and prevent them from entering the inside of your vehicle.

    How does a cabin air filter work?
    Clean air is essential to your vehicle running properly; your car’s engine air filter ensures that clean air reaches the engine. In the same way, your car’s ventilation system counts on the cabin air filter to keep a steady stream of clean air flowing.

    The cabin air filter keeps dust, dirt, pollen, bacteria and exhaust gases from entering the HVAC system of your car. It also prevents bugs, leaves and other debris from clogging up the system. Vital to clean air inside the car, the cabin air filter keeps the air inside the car fresh so you and your passengers can breathe easy – something you’ll appreciate all year long but especially during allergy season.

  7. Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,369
    #557
    Quote Originally Posted by JapanABC View Post
    K&N is actually a bad choice for engine air filters. As from my previous post there is a youtube video where many OEM type filters were tested and K&N, K&N actually wasn't able to filter the contaminants as good as the other OEM type brands. Video link below for

    Which Car Air Filter is Best? Let's find out! Fram, K&N, Wix, Purolator, & AC Delco showdown

    Also don't worry about the media being used in making oil, fuel, transmission & air filters they are made up of cellulose media which is made from all sorts of plants, since all plant matter are made up of cellulose which is itself composed of lignin, a structural component, and monomer sugars such as hexose sugars, principally glucose and fructose but also pentose sugars (5 carbon atoms) such as xylose, arabinose or galactose among several others.

    Cellulose | Definition of Cellulose by Merriam-Webster)
    What is cellulose made up of? - Quora

    The element/media inside your oil, fuel, transmission and air filters are not made from trees as you think it is. Cabin filters naman are made up of synthetic type of media fibers which I will be closely studying which materials below is a description of the materials.

    The cabin air filter is a small pleated filter made of multi-fiber paper cotton or other engineered material. Before entering the passenger compartment, outside air is directed through this filter to trap the contaminants inside the filter and prevent them from entering the inside of your vehicle.

    How does a cabin air filter work?
    Clean air is essential to your vehicle running properly; your carís engine air filter ensures that clean air reaches the engine. In the same way, your carís ventilation system counts on the cabin air filter to keep a steady stream of clean air flowing.

    The cabin air filter keeps dust, dirt, pollen, bacteria and exhaust gases from entering the HVAC system of your car. It also prevents bugs, leaves and other debris from clogging up the system. Vital to clean air inside the car, the cabin air filter keeps the air inside the car fresh so you and your passengers can breathe easy Ė something youíll appreciate all year long but especially during allergy season.
    Bakit marami parin hooked sa K&N? Marami rin nagttestify na okay yung product?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,721
    #558
    Quote Originally Posted by carwhacko View Post
    Bakit marami parin hooked sa K&N? Marami rin nagttestify na okay yung product?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think with normal use or maski severe pa the normal life span ng vehicle wala pa obvious at noticeable negative effect ang inadequate filtration ng k&n at least to majority of users.Nabebenta na bago pa mag loko but to those mechanically inclined tulad nun na erode na turbo impeller blade ng nissan navara (hurricanr filter ata iyon) dito sa tsikot meron talaga detrimental effect though the severity varies greatly with usage.

  9. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    21,380
    #559
    Quote Originally Posted by babkalakal View Post
    I think with normal use or maski severe pa the normal life span ng vehicle wala pa obvious at noticeable negative effect ang inadequate filtration ng k&n at least to majority of users.Nabebenta na bago pa mag loko but to those mechanically inclined tulad nun na erode na turbo impeller blade ng nissan navara (hurricanr filter ata iyon) dito sa tsikot meron talaga detrimental effect though the severity varies greatly with usage.
    Agree on this one, plus K&N itself said that in the US, their products - once used - cannot be used by car manufacturers to void engine failure resulting from poor filtration.

    As US consumer laws are stricter compared to ours, I believe they won't make that claim unless somehow they now that the engines can tolerate the particles that do pass from their filters. A way of saying the pros outweighs the cons. The savings and unnecessary waste are better for me in the end.

  10. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,938
    #560
    Sa mga mahilig mag tune ng kanilang desels



Best Oil/Fuel Filters