New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SoleusBB View Post
    Morning guys. The statement was based on the insinuation that switching the engine on or off (under reasonable use) will eventually lead to failure of your starter motor. All I'm saying is hindi naman ganyan kadali masira ang starter, placed within the context of the thread starter's original post and intended action: the TS plans to switch off his engine in between rides, habang nakatunganga siya for 5min or more waiting for another passenger.

Although may days and times na high in demand ang Grab/Uber rides, I'm presuming na hindi naman ganun kalakas/frequent na may passenger siya all the time to the extent that he/she'd have switched the engine on & off more than what can be considered "normal" use for a day- perhaps to the extent na considered "heavy" use siguro but not that masira yung starter- note, I'm not saying it can't happen though. Wala pa naman taxi nagpareplace sa amin ng starter that I remember.

If the TS is that successful sa ganun kataas na volume ng rides niya, oh well, don't worry about it, sa dami na ng kinikita mo, just buy a new car and a new starter for the old one. Eh di dalawa na pang uber/grab unit mo
    so what you are saying, is that in your experience as a transport operator, you feel the starter is up to the rigors imposed on it naman.

2. Join Date
    May 2018
    The post na tinitipd na yung pag-manufacture ng part na ito (starter motor)- yes, I believe and agree with that.

Parang yung mga headlights which are now made of acrylic/plastic rather than glass. To think I was concerned about inevitably getting cataracts as I get older (98% of us will), now we have to worry about our cars getting them too.

I also get the logic that the more you use a thing, you naturally increase the wear and tear on it so mas mabilis siya masira. For example, the light switch in your living room is designed to go through "X" number of cycles. The more you switch it on and off, you naturally shorten its service life... but unless sobrang extreme naman yung pag on off mo, it won't reduce the service life to the extent that you won't get a reasonable period of use from the product. Again, as stated, I base my opinion dun sa sinabi ng TS that he plans to switch off the engine in between rides, rather than emulate our jeep/bus drivers who (presumably) idle their engines for the whole working day.

===
    Yes, I have "tree hugger" inclinations, but switching the engine off during stoplights, or kahit complete standstill traffic is a bit too extreme for me. Dito sa `Pinas (or at least, dito sa NCR) if your car is equipped and you're not that stingy, lahat tayo naka-aircon out of necessity. If you don't switch it on, hindi na pagtitipid yun... kabaratan na.

Imagine:
    Compressor switch on -> C. switch off -> start engine -> C. switch on *stoplight* C. switch off -> stop engine *Go* start engine -> C. switch on...

Naku. I have a lot of patience, pero sa ganung arrangement, wag na...

3. Join Date
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    so what you are saying, is that in your experience as a transport operator, you feel the starter is up to the rigors imposed on it naman.
    Oh no Doc, I'm not a transport operator, or expert.

I'm just stating my 2 cents on the thread.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Oh no Doc, I'm not a transport operator, or expert.

I'm just stating my 2 cents on the thread.
    noted, po.

in my case, i turned off my engine during long waits. i saved some money on gas, so's i can buy a new battery, because my old one died as a result of frequent starts.
    high....

5. Join Date
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    noted, po.

in my case, i turned off my engine during long waits. i saved some money on gas, so's i can buy a new battery, because my old one died as a result of frequent starts.
    high....
    Yung battery nga siguro talaga tatamaan.

Parang sa cellphone, too frequent discharge/charge cycles eventually hihina siya.

On the other hand... replaceable item naman talaga ang battery, as with the oils/fluids etc.

===
    I make it a point not to mention brands, pero boto din talaga ako sa "Amaron". There was a another brand I had in my old car that lasted over 3 years but it had a really cheesy name like a Hong Kong action movie: "Magic Power" Wala na ata sa market yun.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    The post na tinitipd na yung pag-manufacture ng part na ito (starter motor)- yes, I believe and agree with that.

Parang yung mga headlights which are now made of acrylic/plastic rather than glass. To think I was concerned about inevitably getting cataracts as I get older (98% of us will), now we have to worry about our cars getting them too.
    But you didn’t factor in that things have definitely become more efficient. Looking back, glass halogen sealed beams were a pain. They take up a lot of power but they barely put out any light compared to modern multi-reflector halogen, HID, or LED headlamps. And when they get nearer to the end of their service life, they produce even less lght. Yes, they’re made of glass and impervious to fogging or UV damage, still, they produce less light overall and has very inefficient beam patterns. Besides, glass is heavier than plastic. Car manufacturers will always think of ways to make vehicles as light as possible to improve fuel economy. Every ounce of mass shaved off adds up. Those glass headlamp enclosures, which are now probably just relegated to luxury vehicles, fall into this category.

As for starter motors, for the most part, engineers have made engine components lighter and so there’s really less need to waste resources by over-engineering the starter motor. And I repeat, they want to reduce the weight of the components as much as they can while still maintaining or optimizing the operational specs (ie. Torque, RPM, current and voltage requirements, MTBF etc.),

7. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Yung battery nga siguro talaga tatamaan.

Parang sa cellphone, too frequent discharge/charge cycles eventually hihina siya.

On the other hand... replaceable item naman talaga ang battery, as with the oils/fluids etc.

===
    I make it a point not to mention brands, pero boto din talaga ako sa "Amaron". There was a another brand I had in my old car that lasted over 3 years but it had a really cheesy name like a Hong Kong action movie: "Magic Power" Wala na ata sa market yun.
    well, if one puts it that way,
    "nothing is more conveniently replace-able, than the gas in the tank."
    heh heh.

btw, it is really easy to "manufacture" a battery. motolite sells its plates to whoever has the money. i just do not know the legalities of what brand one may slap on the casing.
    ang daming battery re-builders...
    Last edited by dr. d; June 30th, 2018 at 12:17 PM.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2018
    If I know that I won't really stay long, say, bibili ng siopao sa 7-11, I won't switch off the engine. May spare key ako to lock the doors while the engine is still running.

Frequent on and off start will slowly wear the car's battery.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    keeping the engine running when there is no one inside! in a public place!
    that's dangerous.
    Last edited by dr. d; July 1st, 2018 at 09:39 AM.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Lin Dan View Post
    If I know that I won't really stay long, say, bibili ng siopao sa 7-11, I won't switch off the engine. May spare key ako to lock the doors while the engine is still running.

Frequent on and off start will slowly wear the car's battery.

You bring your spare key with you all the time?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk