New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by danegoesonline View Post
    Im a Grab Driver and after I drop the passenger off I am turning off the engine to save fuel consumption, after 5-10 minutes I will start it again. Is this ok? Am I shortening any parts of my car? Please help, I will appreciate it very much.
    Ex-Uber driver/operator..

Pero hindi na nag-member ng grab after nawala ang uber..

Ganito lang po..

If you want to save fuel/time, effort at maximize lahat at win-win profit at solutions, Both sides.

"Proper Coordination"

(Kung naabutan talaga yung glory days ng UBER/GRAB)

Between Rider and Driver..

Eto po, kung bibili lang naman ng beer sa kabilang kanto, mas mainam na maglakad..

kung while waiting naman, at gusto buksan ang bintana, never start the engine, ilagay sa ON position ang Key, para paganahin ang power window..

"Never Leave ang ON Position" sa susi..

Sa Push start type, not mistaken, pwedeng i-on position.. same as key method.

Masama sa masama ang on-off ang engine, lalo kung excessive idling/traffic exposed/long drive..

Masisira ang starter/alternator/battery, lalo kung ugali pa yung hindi nag-off ng air-con/headlight/accessories..
    dahil sa stress/strain..

kung off ang makina, cooldown ng 15-30 mins.. bago i-start ulit..

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Paps alam mo ba pagkabasa na pagkabasa ko ng reply mo ayaw na magstart ng tsikot ko, mag pajumpstart pako sa motolite.
    when our wigo AT's original battery died, we could not jumpstart her!
    we consider ourselves experts on jump-starts and push starts, with years of experience, courtesy of our pesoless beginnings when we were still students. but we could not jumpstart that wigo.
    we finally surrendered and called battery delivery. upon replacing the battery, the car started like nothing happened.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    when our wigo AT's original battery died, we could not jumpstart her!
    we consider ourselves experts on jump-starts and push starts, with years of experience, courtesy of our pesoless beginnings when we were still students. but we could not jumpstart that wigo.
    we finally surrendered and called battery delivery. upon replacing the battery, the car started like nothing happened.
    That is weird! This Wigo from a friend of my friend, called me for a jump-start. I connected the terminals of this battery jump-start I bought from Ace hardware, it started right away.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Naku e puro short trips ako e.
    Maybe you can buy a smart car battery charger to prolong battery life ... Regarding short trips ... What you can do during mornings, on your first 3-5 trips, keep the engine running if waiting time is only about 5 minutes ... Just so your engine can warm up efficiently ... A cold engine consumes more fuel ... It needs to warm up to a certain temperature ... Plus you want your engine oil hot enough to have better viscosity ...
    Last edited by Walter; June 28th, 2018 at 06:22 AM.

5. Join Date
    May 2009
    Im a Grab Driver and after I drop the passenger off I am turning off the engine to save fuel consumption, after 5-10 minutes I will start it again. Is this ok? Am I shortening any parts of my car? Please help, I will appreciate it very much.
    As long as you have a good condition alternator and a good working battery go ahead. It helps the environment.

6. Join Date
    May 2018
    I find it hard to accept that starter motors have gotten so fragile?

The only way I could imagine trashing one of these was by continuously cranking the engine (i.e. pinipilit i-redondo) that won't start because of some other mechanical problem. You can cause the starter to overheat.

Switching the engine off and starting it again, even frequently (yung within reason of course, not yung 100x in 5 minutes!) shouldn't be cause for much concern. Ewan ko lang ngayon though. Generally, they should last the designed service life of the vehicle.

===
    As to batteries, cheap brands do last a year only. Getting 3+ or more years on one of the better models, tingin ko sulit na.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by SoleusBB View Post
    I find it hard to accept that starter motors have gotten so fragile?

The only way I could imagine trashing one of these was by continuously cranking the engine (i.e. pinipilit i-redondo) that won't start because of some other mechanical problem. You can cause the starter to overheat.

Switching the engine off and starting it again, even frequently (yung within reason of course, not yung 100x in 5 minutes!) shouldn't be cause for much concern. Ewan ko lang ngayon though. Generally, they should last the designed service life of the vehicle.

===
    As to batteries, cheap brands do last a year only. Getting 3+ or more years on one of the better models, tingin ko sulit na.

"It used to be so natural (used to be)
    To talk about forever
    But used-to-bes don't count anymore
    They just lay on the floor 'til we sweep them away"

Used to be starters were made with 100% laminated iron cores, 99.999% copper wires, durable brass commutators and sealed type bearings. Not anymore. We get recycled steel laminate cores, less than 50% copper wires and commutators and bearings with a pinch of grease no bigger than a mung bean. Yes they were "designed to last" as the engine, which means 5 years cranked 2x a day x 5 days a week.

I personally call it the Mig 15 philosophy. Why make something to last 10000 flying hours when it will get shot down after just 2 months? So the russians made the engines to last for just 100 hours, then made many hundreds of them.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    If any, modern starters seems more reliable. Our cars back in the 80’s broke down a lot. They overheat, carburetors were temperamental, the ignition system stops working when it rains, and the A/C only cools when it decides to.

And then, there’s also that occasional need to use a pole or a hammer to poke and/or give the starter a good thumping because the solenoid can sometimes get stuck or the carbon brushes gets dislodged and doesn’t like to sit on the commutator correctly.

Sometime around the 90’s, vehicle quality drastically improved. In the last two and a half decades, not one of our cars developed a problem with the starter. And that’s covering around 20+ cars that we, as a whole family, have collectively gone through since the early 90’s.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ^^^ but you use your cars "normally". The question was if it is ok to stop and start many times a day.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by yebo View Post
    ^^^ but you use your cars "normally". The question was if it is ok to stop and start many times a day.
    I was responding to post 26... about the claim that starters are becoming more “fragile”... which I disagree.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast