New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by danegoesonline View Post
    Pero ano po yung na wear na parts pag nag iistart ng engine? Spark plug?
    kung short trips, battery siguro ang pwede maapektuhan. easily remedied by buying a smart charger

2. Join Date
    Feb 2015
    A sensible question to ask. It all comes down to the health of the entire electeical system. Grab driver, your car must be newish right? System should be fine to turn on and off.
    The situations where it would be a problem...
    An aged battery, would take a significant boost charge to recover after every start compared to a newer battery. So if you constantly did this stopping and starting on an older tired batery, 2 bad things would start occurring.
    1. The current going through the starter motor would start increasing and starter motor life would be shortened due to the resulting heat, and
    2. The current needed by the alternator to replenish the significant discharge that the older battery took when supplying said current to the starter, would start increasing, shortening the life of the alternator.

So put simply, stopping the engine is really economical, only if your batterys health is at least 70%. If the health is lower than that (as measured on a decent industrial workshop battery tester) then you may actually be expediting the death of multiple electrical components beyond the value of the fuel saved.

One more factor, is fuel type. Diesel engines are significantly more efficient at idle than gasoline. So the battery health threshold for where this economical cutoff would be for a gasoline vehicle is slightly lower than an a diesel. i.e, a gasoline engine might be better off switched off rather than idling at 70% battery health, but a diesel uses ao little fuel at idle it might better left on, unless battery health was so good it did no harm to the battery health.
    I hope that makes sense.

3. Join Date
    May 2018
    As far as I know it doesn't cost much to restart an already warm engine, compared to continually running on idle.
    I don't know with these new computer controlled engines but they should be more efficient pa nga eh.

In an effort to reduce pollution, sa NYC nga, idling for over a certain number of minutes is a violation (pero never naman na enforce yun sa kanila, AFAIK)

As to yung mga jeeps & buses natin na pilosopo pa yung driver ("konti lang matitipid na krudo pag pinatay ang makina!"), I think yung main concern nila is baka hindi na nila mai-start ulit yung mga poorly maintained engines nila so they just keep it running.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by SoleusBB View Post
    As to yung mga jeeps & buses natin na pilosopo pa yung driver ("konti lang matitipid na krudo pag pinatay ang makina!"), I think yung main concern nila is baka hindi na nila mai-start ulit yung mga poorly maintained engines nila so they just keep it running.
    I think their using weak batteries na and would rather keep their engines idling than buy a new one... I bet, push start ang mga ito sa umaga

Really annoying noise and pollution if they happen in front of your house

5. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by danegoesonline View Post
    Paps alam mo ba pagkabasa na pagkabasa ko ng reply mo ayaw na magstart ng tsikot ko, mag pajumpstart pako sa motolite.
    encounter ko ito sa motollite wala pang 1 year nasira kaagad buti under warranty pa kaya palit ng bago...kaya mas maganda kung mga 5 mins lang naman hintayin mabuti pang wag patayin nalang makina.kasi battery at starter ang maaring masira.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    As long as your trips are about 5 kms or 15 minutes, your vehicle will be fine ... Prolonged idling also has more drawbacks compared to frequent starting and stopping of engine ... As long as they are not very short trips (1-3 km or 5 minutes) ...

7. Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    As long as your trips are about 5 kms or 15 minutes, your vehicle will be fine ... Prolonged idling also has more drawbacks compared to frequent starting and stopping of engine ... As long as they are not very short trips (1-3 km or 5 minutes) ...

Naku e puro short trips ako e.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by DiliKoAmericano View Post
    A sensible question to ask. It all comes down to the health of the entire electeical system. Grab driver, your car must be newish right? System should be fine to turn on and off.
    The situations where it would be a problem...
    An aged battery, would take a significant boost charge to recover after every start compared to a newer battery. So if you constantly did this stopping and starting on an older tired batery, 2 bad things would start occurring.
    1. The current going through the starter motor would start increasing and starter motor life would be shortened due to the resulting heat, and
    2. The current needed by the alternator to replenish the significant discharge that the older battery took when supplying said current to the starter, would start increasing, shortening the life of the alternator.

So put simply, stopping the engine is really economical, only if your batterys health is at least 70%. If the health is lower than that (as measured on a decent industrial workshop battery tester) then you may actually be expediting the death of multiple electrical components beyond the value of the fuel saved.

One more factor, is fuel type. Diesel engines are significantly more efficient at idle than gasoline. So the battery health threshold for where this economical cutoff would be for a gasoline vehicle is slightly lower than an a diesel. i.e, a gasoline engine might be better off switched off rather than idling at 70% battery health, but a diesel uses ao little fuel at idle it might better left on, unless battery health was so good it did no harm to the battery health.
    I hope that makes sense.
    If I may ask, aside from using hygrometer, is it possible to know the health of your battery by using a multimeter?

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Archerfish View Post
    If I may ask, aside from using hygrometer, is it possible to know the health of your battery by using a multimeter?
    Search "battery tester" in olx or lazada.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2014
    My car is 3 years and half already. 15k odo pa lang pero almost everyday ginagamit and short distances lang, like mall and church lang (1-3km) or sa kabilang street lang. On and off din engine.

Bumigay agad starter. Not sure if it has something to do with turning on/off the engine or bad batch lang since may mga nakita akong same car model and gen na same issue as mine sira rin agad starter.

Pero at 15k odo sira agad starter?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast