New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    if you want to go, go now!
    while you still do not have roots nor children.
    Very true. It gets harder once you have a child or children. There are a lot more considerations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    Winter can be depressing especially if it is longer than usual. In the northeast US, it can be snowy from November to April. Not to mention, it can get really cold, like -30*F.

On the bright side, you can do skiing or snowboarding or sledding during winter. Skiing is really fun.

Yes, some activities that can exist in winter, not to mention building a snowman or throwing a snowball that can start a snowfight could be fun too for younger people. Would be really appreciated if snow exists without hassling many people or their lives but that's how it is.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    "snow is for kids."
    when furriners get winter-crazy, they come to our tropical land and bathe in the sun.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post
    I'd say go. there is a financial upgrade if there is any. and if done right retirement comes sooner. some pinoys become lonely abroad because they dont know how to make friends.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Bro can you paint me a picture of how much better it will be abroad? I'm just curious because it's really unknown territory for me.

I checked annual salaries of doctors there - around 700k pesos/month. Locally I am forecasting around 300-500k/month.

As for me, I don't see much upside moving there. I have a decent job here. If we move within the next year, my education and work experience will count for nothing. I'll end up with an entry level job.

If I wait until I get an expat role and request for AU, that will be around 5-10 yrs from now. By that time my fiance will be done with her residency training and it's much harder to enter as a specialized doctor as opposed to having your residency there.

My uncle was a pediatrician here but never got to practice when they migrated to Australia and he ended up as a first responder there instead. So even the medical path can be risky.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Bro can you paint me a picture of how much better it will be abroad? I'm just curious because it's really unknown territory for me.

I checked annual salaries of doctors there - around 700k pesos/month. Locally I am forecasting around 300-500k/month.

As for me, I don't see much upside moving there. I have a decent job here. If we move within the next year, my education and work experience will count for nothing. I'll end up with an entry level job.

If I wait until I get an expat role and request for AU, that will be around 5-10 yrs from now. By that time my fiance will be done with her residency training and it's much harder to enter as a specialized doctor as opposed to having your residency there.

My uncle was a pediatrician here but never got to practice when they migrated to Australia and he ended up as a first responder there instead. So even the medical path can be risky.

Do you have relatives or friends living at Australia? I think they're the best one to consult with. I know some friends, couples/singles/family, who took the risk of getting a better life at Australia. So far all of them are doing well now as middle income earners. They told me it can be difficult for the first 3 years. I know someone who can't even find a job for a year but eventually the hard work paid off. For those who are picky with jobs, it can be tough. You can't afford to be choosy as an immigrant unless your job is among those in top demand.

There's less risk for childless couples and singles compared to a family migrating to another country. Less dependents the easier to manage the expenses.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by yebo View Post
    +1 on the boredom. my friend living in au who was on vacation last month said that life in au is boring. di daw gaya sa pinas na madami pwedeng puntahan. puro pang selfie lang daw meron dun (ayers rock background, hohum!)
    I stayed at Sydney for 6 mos and I find the laid back lifestyle not so boring. A walk to the park, clean air, a few drinks at the pub, an occasional baby back ribs somewhere at Darling Harbor. It's a simple lifestyle that some Pinoys will find boring, but for me it's a better place than the noisy smelly place like Metro Manila.

Would I want to migrate there? Sure! But I should have done that before I got kids. It's much riskier when you have a family to feed.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by GTcervan View Post
    May winter ba sa Australia? Isa din kasi na factor yun kung san kelangan mo mag-adjust if it is present pero hindi naman palaging ganun.

Sa una, akala ng iba masaya at madali lang pag winter na. Pero once na magtagal yun, mare-realize mo na nagdudusa ka pati mga kasama mo dahil mahirap din pala kung ganun kalamig araw araw.

Mangyayari niyan kadalasan nasa bahay ka lang nagpapainit ng katawan gamit yung heater ng aircon or yung bonfire kung meron atsaka patong patong ang damit mo pero ramdam mo parin ang lamig. GG pa lalo once makaramdam ka ng frostbite na masakit sa apektadong parte ng katawan at magiging mahirap pang igalaw pag ganun.

Pag lalabas ka naman, you will have to shove snow out of your driveway pa or else, di mo malalabas yung car mo outside. Possible din na ma-stuck kasi madulas ang kalye.

Kaya in some sort of way, parang naiisip ko na blessing na din yung season na parang tulad lang din ng satin, which is tag-init at tag-ulan lang, kasi wala kang aasikasuhing season na maraming pagbabago like winter nga. Pero it is nice to experience that parin kahit once lang.
    Yup may winter season pero walang snow, starts on May then the coldest months is July or August.

Summer season which starts on December can get really hot, even hotter than PH! So compared to PH, Australia's weather is either really cold or damn hot. Except for the rainy monsoon season, PH's tropical weather is comfortable.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2018
    It will definitely be very challenging the first few years for both you and your fiancee as you might be working an entry level job (unless you can convince your company to transfer you or find a company that will take in your PH work experience into consideration) and she'll be concentrating on her specialization.

My wife and I are currently working on our visa requirements to London as she has accepted an expat assignment (intra-office relocation). Hopefully, I can convince my current company to allow me to work remotely from London (even if I have to adjust to AU time). Otherwise, I'll have to initially look for odd jobs (barista, store clerk, fitness instructor, etc.) as well as online work (English tutoring, proof-reading, editing, testing, etc.)

I feel both excited and pensive about moving as I know it will be a very good opportunity for my wife yet we'll be leaving my friends and family and living in a very unfamiliar place.

My friends are teasing us that I'll finally be living the dream of being a "houseband". I don't find the term demeaning at all as I'll be supporting my wife's career albeit unconventionally. And I'll be searching for jobs to supplement her income so we can have a comfortable life with the occasional nice dinner, vacation and of course, my wife's luho (athleisure gear, shoes, ang bags )

9. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by erdiedizon View Post
    Hi Ts, Im living abroad with my family for more than a decade now. First 11 and half years in SIngapore then some changes makes us move here in AUstralia, we 2 kids both girls. In our case once we decided to migrate the thought of grass abroad is more greener.
    To he honest its really more fun in the Philippines, my heart was always saying go home, lol
    Its maybe just me, but a lot of pinoys once u have a good chat with them they feel same if they have the PUHUNAN to start a good negosyu they will give it a go.
    Sometimes its really difficult to decide specially on your case looks either way you will do well bro, u stay in pinas or move here in down under. Kami we prefer here in down under vs singapore, life here is more laidback and time is a little bit slow. But again of course I still love Philippines.

Why not give it a try while still no kids, its more flexible to migrate while only u and fiance. My advice is always have your plan B, in case you and fiance wont like it u always have option. [emoji5]

Bro thanks for sharing your first-hand experience. My fiance and I were talking about it last night and it seems that we'll both be happier staying here.

Money might be better there and our future kids will have a leg up with first-world education, but it's not like we're living in poverty in the Philippines. Most likely we'll still be able to send our kids to good schools here as well.

Biggest clincher is really the close proximity to family and friends. I know that flights are cheaper now but iba pa rin yung random dinner with the barkada or weekend lunches with the family.

Money is good but happiness is more important methinks.
    Quote Originally Posted by CVT View Post
    Be certain that they will consider you as college graduate not trade school graduate, bro. So you may need to "go to school" for 2 more years there.

Also, 6 months of local work experience is typically required, which means volunteer work. So better, if Intercompany transfer
    That's the problem bro, the timing of our careers aren't in sync. For my fiance, the move has to be next year, right after she passes her med boards and before her residency so that she can have her residency training there.

For me, it will be at least 5 years before I can ask for an expat assignment and eventual local hire. My line of work is very specific to the Philippines so I'll have to move departments first and then prove my mettle there before being sent abroad.

It's a bit of a hassle because I've planned out my life here so I'll be changing so much just to move, and I have no idea whatsoever on where to start and on what the future holds for me there.
    Quote Originally Posted by yebo View Post
    a word of caution on pinoy doctors working in australia. baka ma-frustrate ang gf mo kasi afaik pinoy doctors rarely work as doctors in au. karamihan they work as nurses or whatever field their pre-med course was (biologist, pharmacist, med tech). the info i got from our neighbor before was they keep changing the requirements for foreign educated/trained doctors so even if you work as a doctor in au now it is no guarantee you will be allowed to work as a doctor tomorrow. yan ang nangyari sa kanya, they hired him as an anaesthesiologist but now he is working as a nurse because they added requirements that involves him taking more than 1 year from work to earn. sabagay kung wala ka pa anak kaya naman kaso pag pamilyado ka na mahirapan ka.
    Same with my tito. None of his training in the Philippines was counted so he had to start from scratch and never got to practice as a doctor in AU. Kaya naisip ko, magastos and sobrang effort din so it has to be worth it and we have to both really want it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archerfish View Post
    Sounds corny... but my take is to pray for it that you may have the discernment and that you may choose wisely.

So I've heard,

"The next saddest person is the one who climbs up the ladder and reaches the top, only to realize that the ladder is leaning on the wrong side of the wall."

The same thing with my brother in-law (Dubai or Singapore, I can't recall), he spent about two years working as an assistant until he was "recognized". Surely, you can make it whatever position you'll get.

This may not be an issue for you so much compared to me as a family man. I missed my wife, my kids, and "the way" my kids went out...

Some of my colleagues would jokingly say that I can "get" another girl without any issues​ at all. Besides, who will know except me? I can't and I can't do it. So, I've been faithful to my wife for the past 24 years of our married life.

Again, this is not an issue for you.

I agree, it is just you and only you who will adjust. Well, this is the same with your fiance. Since you will be with her, it should be "easier" as you have someone to talk to anytime.

Finally, I do hope you'll teach me everything about racing before you go! Honestly, I was hoping that you'll be friends with my two grown-up kids or even be an acquaintance to them. My wife and I really likes you.

Congratulations on your new journey!
    Don't worry bro, we still have several rounds of racing this year. And it looks like I'm inclined to stay anyway. I'd love to hang out with your kids and wife too. [emoji106]
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow View Post
    And it doesn't mean if you're successfully here it will be the same there. Not saying you can't do it.

Hinde lahat hard work and dedication minsan kailangan din ng swerte.

Yan din naisip ko. I start from zero there. Wala akong competitive advantage whatsoever, I'll be just like every other Filipino na nakipagsapalaran sa ibang bansa. Most naman are successful, but "success" is usually defined as getting a stable entry/mid level job. May racial ceiling pa rin dun and you can only get so far. Of course, malaki sweldo but then again kung swertehin din naman dito sa pinas maraming negosyanteng mas malaki pa kita kaysa mga corporate managers sa ibang bansa (parang ikaw ninong [emoji16]).

10. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Seriously jut, if you have the chance, go for it. You are still young and there is room to make mistake and there is enough time to recover. With your skills and credential, you can easily get a good paying job if you decide to come back.

I regret the day I decided not to pursue my papers for fear of getting out of my comfort zone. So many what-ifs left in my mind that I am still inclined to migrate after I retire.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast