New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    I've been ruminating on this idea for a few months now - my fiance and I can move to Australia, she can have her medical specialization there and I can work in our company's Australia office (or worst case I can find other jobs there). Then eventually have a family there and live a first-world life.

We've parked the idea and decided to just proceed with our lives here in the Philippines - I stay at my corporate job while my fiance finishes residency, then when she has stable income as a consultant, we can perhaps dabble into business.

But then I thought, what if I'm dreaming too small?

I had dinner with my college friends last night and one of my best buds is moving to the Netherlands on a permanent international assignment (local hire) for an FMCG multinational. He's planning to bring his girlfriend there too and propose, then live their married life there and eventually have kids. Another friend is waiting for his expat assignment in Singapore before settling down and popping the question.

The biggest benefit I see with living abroad is that our kids will have much more opportunities growing up. A first-world passport and first-world education will bring them places. And while the first few years of immigration are definitely gonna be hard, once you get established, you live a fairly easy first world life. Plus, doctors earn mega big bucks in Australia.

One drawback is the distance from family, but if you have a comfortable income, you can fly back to the Philippines several times a year anyway. A bigger concern is the risk - it's expensive to move, take the medical certification exam, find a job, and so on.

Anyway, for those who've tried living abroad, or have considered doing so - hope you can share your insights so I can have a better idea of everything that needs to be considered. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Go! You don't have to think about it. Lapit lang ng OZ. My roommate's siblings are all in OZ. We go there probably every 2 years but they always do their sibling reunion every year in different counties. So I don't think the distance is a problem. Plus with the technlogies distance is non issue.

I want to share Sana experience ko about migrating to the US but that's a long story.

I don't want to go into details but long story short we have a much better lives here kesa doon. Although well have all the support plus lahat ng family members pwede sumama dahil It's on a business immigrant visa. Mas maganda pa rin dito.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by shadow; March 28th, 2018 at 11:32 AM.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Subscribing... Stayed in au for a couple of months and i can say mas mababait sila at mas tolerant sa race. If it is for the future, go for it. Ph is not getting any better anytime soon.

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    I've been ruminating on this idea for a few months now - my fiance and I can move to Australia, she can have her medical specialization there and I can work in our company's Australia office (or worst case I can find other jobs there). Then eventually have a family there and live a first-world life.

We've parked the idea and decided to just proceed with our lives here in the Philippines - I stay at my corporate job while my fiance finishes residency, then when she has stable income as a consultant, we can perhaps dabble into business.

I had dinner with my college friends last night and one of my best buds is moving to the Netherlands on a permanent international assignment (local hire) for an FMCG multinational. He's planning to bring his girlfriend there too and propose, then live their married life there and eventually have kids. Another friend is waiting for his expat assignment in Singapore before settling down and popping the question.

The biggest benefit I see with living abroad is that our kids will have much more opportunities growing up. A first-world passport and first-world education will bring them places. And while the first few years of immigration are definitely gonna be hard, once you get established, you live a fairly easy first world life. Plus, doctors earn mega big bucks in Australia.

One drawback is the distance from family, but if you have a comfortable income, you can fly back to the Philippines several times a year anyway. A bigger concern is the risk - it's expensive to move, take the medical certification exam, find a job, and so on.

Anyway, for those who've tried living abroad, or have considered doing so - hope you can share your insights so I can have a better idea of everything that needs to be considered. Thanks!

Go for it. Youth allows you that room for testing, adventure, error & reversibility. The window won't be open long. Free yourself from future whatcudabeen thinking.[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Basta ang advice ko, whatever you decide on stick on it and don't look back and think of what might have been, could have been.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Go for it, the transition is easier when you don't have kids yet.

Sent from my SM-T705 using Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    Feb 2012

Hi Ts, Im living abroad with my family for more than a decade now. First 11 and half years in SIngapore then some changes makes us move here in AUstralia, we 2 kids both girls. In our case once we decided to migrate the thought of grass abroad is more greener.
    To he honest its really more fun in the Philippines, my heart was always saying go home, lol
    Its maybe just me, but a lot of pinoys once u have a good chat with them they feel same if they have the PUHUNAN to start a good negosyu they will give it a go.
    Sometimes its really difficult to decide specially on your case looks either way you will do well bro, u stay in pinas or move here in down under. Kami we prefer here in down under vs singapore, life here is more laidback and time is a little bit slow. But again of course I still love Philippines.

Why not give it a try while still no kids, its more flexible to migrate while only u and fiance. My advice is always have your plan B, in case you and fiance wont like it u always have option. [emoji5]

8. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Kung ako sa position mo, I'll definitely go. Wala ka pa baby eh at bata ka pa, pwede ka pa lumaban ng sabayan kahit sa mga foreign counterparts mo imho.

Goodluck and God Bless on your choice.

Basta kapag mayaman ka na dito ka pa rin retire sa Pinas, dito mo gastusin pera mo ha. hehehe

9. Join Date
    Jul 2009

While the grass can always seem greener over there, some quick thoughts lang din.

1. Cost of living much higher there. You earn more, maybe. Pero costs go up din.
    2. Not sure about sa AUS pero WRT to the US, maraming kalokohan sa healthcare. Doctors sometimes prefer not to treat patients some patients na alanganin kasi baka ma sue ng malpractice. (Source: Friends who are doctors who considered moving abroad)
    3. Also, demand for doctors abroad may be artificially stifled, sometimes hospitals prefer homegrown doctors. (have heard of this but w/o verifiable sources)
    4. Culture - iba kultura / pag uugali ng mga tao dito sa Pilipinas. Sometimes especially in the US, umiiba mga values ng anak. This may or may not be a moot point for you. Sabi ng friend ko who lives in Belgium or one of the nearby countries, the people there are lazy since most gov't services are free, jobs are quite secure. Tuloy, people only do the bare minimum sa store. Pag humingi ka raw ng shirt size mo sa isang store, sasabihin nila basta yung nandun sa display, yun na.
    5. If you're considering doing business, mas okay dito. Pag doon, the market is already saturated with big chains who can eat you alive. Actually, pag pinansin mo rito sa Pilipinas, the saturation is starting already. Few companies who own majority of the business - they have the scale for it.
    Pag corporate forever, parang mas okay yata sa 1st world countries though.
    6. PH is probably better to retire in

10. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Go bro while you are young. Australia is definitely the place to be. And you can drive your dream cars as they are all affordable. More than that theres no traffic there and the destinations and driving roads are endless. Adventure for life.

With your combined talents you will definitely live the good life.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by EQAddict; March 28th, 2018 at 12:12 PM.

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast