New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by fourtheboys96 View Post
    When we went to Daet, Cam Norte, I used Papago M8 in my iPhone4s.
    My friend who was in the other vehicle brought his Garmin.

To my surprise, he turned off his device when we were in Nagcarlan, Laguna because it kept telling them to make a U-Turn. The device/software was probably not aware of the Nagcarlan-Lukban-Pagbilao route going to Quezon. At one point, they were instructed to make a left turn which happens to be towards a ravine in Camarines Norte (Bitulang Manok).

I'm not saying my iPhone is better but let us not be too dependent on these devices although sometimes I'm guilty on this one. When I travel long distances to unfamiliar places, I try to research first and visualize everything. I use google maps etc to increase awareness of the route I'm taking.

ok pa nga yang 10 meters. Dapat on your part, alerto ka na 200 meters from your destination. Hindi naman instantaneous ang update GPS.
    Yes sir, sumablay lang talaga ko nun, nakita ko na yung corner eh kaso nagduda ko na baka sa kabilang kanto pa kami liliko dahil nga di pa nakatapat yung arrow ng gps, yun pala nadelay lang kaya lumagpas tuloy, yun na pala yung kanto na dapat likuan hehe

2. Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by fourtheboys96 View Post
    To my surprise, he turned off his device when we were in Nagcarlan, Laguna because it kept telling them to make a U-Turn. The device/software was probably not aware of the Nagcarlan-Lukban-Pagbilao route going to Quezon. At one point, they were instructed to make a left turn which happens to be towards a ravine in Camarines Norte (Bitulang Manok).
    sir di kaya tinuturo lang ng gps yun shortest route? (not sure kung ganun nga ha) may experience kasi ko na ganito, gps ng phone ang gamit ko from corinthain hills to eastridge golf club sa rizal, masyadong malupit yun dinaanan namin, patirik na lumiliko pa bigla eh may trauma na ko sa ganyan,kamuntikan na kasi kami sa tagaytay last 2011 lol pagdating sa tuktok, nagtanong kami sa guard kung may iba pang daan, pwede naman palang dumaan sa antipolo instead binangonan na bangin yung dinaanan, nung pauwi, antipolo na kami dumaan, patag na safe pa dahil walang bangin :rofl:

parang ang nangyari, itinuro kami ng gps ng phone sa shortcut, di nya itinuro yung opposite route dahil sa kabila na nga yung way nun

3. Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow View Post
    if you have it then good if you dont phone will do...I don't really thing kailangan pa bumili ng GPS if your car is not equip with one...saan ba dito sa manila ang mahirap puntahan at maliligaw pa?
    tnx sir, sabagay may point ka dyan. kaso lang applicable sa 'kin yang ganyan kung tulad nung college days,bahay at school lang naman madalas ang ruta kahit magpaikut-ikot ka pa sa mga tambayan at bahay ng longtime friends at new friend mo ayos na ayos lang kahit abutin magdamag, tyak din naman kung dadayo ka sa lugar nila more or less may kasama ka ring tropa na nakakaalam. kaso iba na situation ngayon, di na ko estudyante, madalas kinakapos ang oras kaya kailangan pagbyahe mo sakto. dibale sana kung tipong pagbaba ng jeep maglalakad ka lang kaya kahit lumagpas kakahanap ng lugar ok na dahil maglalakad ka lang din pabalik on the spot haha pero pagnaka auto ka at lumagpas ka ng konti, more or less iikot ka pa sa kabilang kanto para lang makabalik lalo na kung one way or alanganing umikot pabalik.

saka isa pa, sa field ang trabaho ko eh kaya talagang lagi akong may hinahanap na lugar :hihihi:

:2thumbsup:

4. Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by yebo View Post
    never used my phone. i prefer dedicated gps on my GS (ce6.0 based 5" chinese) or the built in gps of the HU (growl) in the sorento. i just type in the address including house number and it takes me there. the maps are updated naman, including barangay roads in the provinces. i will be upgrading also the HU in my GS this may. mas madali kasi pag malaki ang screen, and as said earlier i save my phone's battery. mabilis pa mag-lock sa satellite kesa sa phone.
    i see, mukha ngang mas maganda talaga pag malaki screen. thanks

5. Join Date
    Feb 2013
    tnx sir, yang libro meron din ako nyan kaso lang diko pa nagamit yan ni isang beses mula nung binagay sakin ng A1 driving school nung 2001 :rofl: pati nga tong gps 6 years na yata nasa kin diko pa ginagamit, tumalon na agad ako sa phone kaya ginawa ko tong thread para makatulong kung need ko pa ba tong gps o di na based na rin sa mga experience nyo.

tnx sa reply nyong lahat :cool:

6. Join Date
    Feb 2013
    OnT:

if you own smartphone, don't be stupid not to buy a car charger...so low batt will never be an issue.
    noted sir, kung yung sakin, may car charger naman, tatlo pa nga na magkakahiwalay eh tyempuhan lang talaga na minsan lobat ka na pala lol

7. Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jodski View Post
    Just to add para sa mga Android users, kasi usually separate download ito sa Google Play

Install or update the following
    1) Google Maps - sa latest version nito you can save an offline map (Tap Menu then tap "Make available offline" option) you will just scroll an area up to 80 MB size ng map tiles. I did this by saving the whole of Batangas up to Quezon City in order to avoid the need to be online sa internet to get the map tiles. Ang mawawala lang fwature sa iyo kapag offline ka is the turn by turn navigation

2) Google My Tracks - you can use this to record your route along with other statistical info like average and max speed, elevation gain, distance traveled, etc... Useful kung meron ka ihahatid sa lugar na unfamiliar ka then you can back track paano bumalik (Useful then if you are trying to figure out your Fuel Consumption sa routes na dinadaanan mo ^_^)

On your question, it still better if you have a dedicated one and use only the phone as a secondary or add-on tool. Even though i use the phone at times ang primary concern ko talaga is yung heat ng phone habang nakababad... nadala ako nang minsan na uminit ito na parang plantsa when i used it for 4 hours....
    got it sir, di ko alam yang Google My Tracks, icheck ko yan, mukhang kailangan ko yan lalo na guide pabalik haha

ok din yan kung pede masave fuel consumption, sa ngayon kasi, budget app ng android ang gamit ko pagsave ng expenses.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    When I travelled road trip from manila to Tacloban wala pa ko GPS i was using mobile phone minsan nawawala talaga signal lalo na sa mga remote area kaya ang tagal ng update. lalo na kung web base ang gps ang bagal mag load ng maps.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2013
    if you have it then good if you dont phone will do...I don't really thing kailangan pa bumili ng GPS if your car is not equip with one...saan ba dito sa manila ang mahirap puntahan at maliligaw pa?
    you'll be surprised with how many drivers who are residing within metro manila who only knows the major roads and not the side roads. also if you encounter a very traffic area, you can re-route right away without fear of getting lost kahit eskinita pa daanan mo.

and you'll also realize the value of a gps (stand alone or phone built-in) once you go to unfamiliar places/ territories like when in out of town. my line of job requires me to do that and gps is a really invaluable equipment.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jo A. View Post
    Best offline smartphone GPS is OSMAND. No internet connection required for navigation. Just download the maps and it is ready. It also features the most detailed and updated maps since it uses openstreetmaps.org info.
    and you can also help by updating the map with the roads you are familiar with. its easy to learn. so once you download the latest map, you'll have an updated one with the revisions you made.

osm philippines has an egroup. you can subscribe to talk-ph*openstreetmap.org for those who wants to learn basic mapping and on how you can improve the free and opensource philippine map

Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast