New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by noobskie View Post
    Baka magpromo sila, mahilig magpromo ang ford eh Tska sakto sa timing nyan ng release ng bagong Everest, baka makakuha kayo ng malaking discount diyan. Kulitin nyo na lang ng kulitin bibigay rin yan. Lakas pa naman din ng 2.5 na duratorq, halos katapat na yung torque figures ng 3.0 ng toyota at 3.2 ng mitsu.
    sirs for those who are still looking around for truck base SUV pls.read these then decide whats best for you... he he

Better than the Best

By Dong Magsajo Updated May 20, 2009 12:00 AM

MANILA, Philippines - Mitsubishi may have taken its sweet time getting into the truck-based SUV bandwagon, but with the launch of the Mitsubishi Montero Sport, we now know why.
    Actually, allow us to qualify that statement. Mitsubishi’s truck-based SUV is currently in its second generation. But the jump to this current iteration from the previous variant is so enormous that if you didn’t know any better, you’d have thought that the vehicles were built on entirely different platforms altogether. Honestly. It’s that big a jump. It’s that good a vehicle.
    Like its competitors, the Toyota Fortuner, the Ford Everest, and the Isuzu Alterra, the Montero Sport is largely based on its pick-up sibling, the Strada (it’s the Hilux, Ranger and D-MAX respectively for the competitors). Unlike the rest of the lot, however, the Montero Sport’s rear suspension boasts of a coil spring and lateral link setup – as opposed to the traditional leaf springs that come with the aforementioned competitors. The result is a decidedly smoother ride through and through.
    The 4X2 variant we were leant shares the same drivetrain as the 2.5-liter Strada. As such, it brings to the table a decent but not astounding 136 PS at 3,500 rpm and 31.4 kg-m of torque at 2,000 rpm. Nothing to call home about, true, especially considering that the 4X4 variant sports a much heftier 3.2-liter turbo diesel engine. But in all honesty, it’s got a pretty decent pull (well, push considering it’s a rear wheel drive) for a diesel engine. Plus, the 4-speed automatic transmission with “Sportronic” manual override does a swell job in filling out the rev range to keep most drivers from complaining.
    Apart from being “okay” in the power delivery department, the Montero Sport 4X2, being almost identical to its 4X4 sibling in almost every respect (you don’t even have any visible indicators of the difference from the exterior), shines in every other aspect. Steering – though not exactly go-kart precise – is spot-on for an SUV. The Montero’s rigid ladder frame – though noticeable in its stiffness at times – works well in making the vehicle feel solid. And the interior appointments are pretty much what you’d consider top of the line.
    Black on gray upholstery always works – especially when the seat fabric breathes as well as it does in the Montero Sport’s. It doesn’t look as imposing or roomy as the Fortuner from the outside, but inside the leg- and head-room are pretty commendable. And, befitting of any serious 7-seater, the 2nd and 3rd row seats can be configured to meet any requirement. Plus, the local-spec JVC stereo head unit does have the must-have AUX jack. The speaker system paired to it is pretty decent, as well.
    Cupholders and cubbyholes abound so those take-out lattes can comfortably fit – wherever in the vehicle you may be seated. Cellphones, sunglasses and iPods find comfortable little corners for themselves, as well. Another very commendable addition to this 4X2 version is the rear A/C controller knob – something you’d mostly find only in a 4X4 variant. Plus there are the roof rails, foglamps, rear wiper/washer on the lift-up tailgate, seatbelt pre-tensioners, dual airbags and ABS that come standard too.
    So does the Montero Sport 4X2 hold its own considering it’s coming at such a late stage in the game? Let’s put it this way, at P1.33 million, and with all the goodies that come with the package, it’s probably the best buy at its price point and segment at the moment. And considering the kind of competition it’s going up against, that’s saying a lot. I love the 4X2 versions of the Fortuner, the Everest and the Alterra. But I want a Montero Sport 4X2. I think that pretty much sums it up.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    nanakita ako ng new ford everest kagabi. parang lalong tumaas ground clearance tapos astig tignan yung 18inch.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    may 60k discount raw yung 2.5 version. I wonder kung yung M/T ito...

meron rin nakadisplay sa the block.

konti nalang, bling na yung mags!

4. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    big rims for a truck :thumbdown:

5. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    big rims for a truck :thumbdown:

6. Join Date
    May 2009
    18"s for a truck ain't that bad. I see a lot of those SUVs with 20"s rims and they look pretty damn good even though I bet ride quality suffers a lot. It looks really contemporary.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Does anyone know if the Montero Sport can mount a tow hitch? For mounting bike racks and the like? I know the Everest comes standard with one and this may be the deciding factor. The sales people in Mitsubishi can't answer this simple question.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Double post. Sorry

9. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    baka pwede aftermarket tow hitch, if it doesn't offer OE tow hitch..

10. Join Date
    May 2009
    Test drove the 2009 Ford Everest 2.5 A/T, I can say that the ride is pretty good, its solid but isn't bouncy. The engine's response is pretty good too. The cushion for the seats are thicker, though Im not sure if its the same with the 2007, so my knees aren't as elevated (the 2004 model had my knees at the same level as my chest). 3rd row is good, the headrests would've made it better though. Wonder why they can't intergrate headrests on the bench seats, they could have it slide in fully if it isn't being used anyway. Oh, and the 18's make for a nicer touch as well.

Also drove a montero 2.5 A/T as well (twas my friend's), the interior space is a bit too cramped compared to the everest and the aircon vent in the 3rd row is just plain weird. Thing is, you can't go wrong with either of these two honestly.

MONTERO SPORT or FORD EVEREST