New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Not quite.

Mid-range torque impacts on acceleration... what provides top speed is horsepower and aerodynamics. 190 bhp in an SUV with a huge frontal area doesn't match the Forester's 240 bhp in a smaller car... and then there's the limiter. An ECU limiter will limit you to whatever speed it's set to limit you to... whatever your speedometer (which is woefully inaccurate over 100 km/h) says.
    You have your own opinion & i have mine.. you're leaning towards the forester & i like the sorento.. period :bye:

2. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Hala sige mag-talo kayo dyan

dennis818: Kunin mo nalang yung KDM Tucson. Alam ko meron pa sa Hancars.

Pahirapan kasi ngayon mag order ng CRDi Premium sa HARI.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Starex_Gold View Post
    Hala sige mag-talo kayo dyan

dennis818: Kunin mo nalang yung KDM Tucson. Alam ko meron pa sa Hancars.

Pahirapan kasi ngayon mag order ng CRDi Premium sa HARI.
    SG pinapakuha mo kay dennis818 yung KDM tucson para pangalawang tester na siya ng KDM tucson engine na hindi tuned sa quality ng diesel natin

4. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JPG111 View Post
    SG pinapakuha mo kay dennis818 yung KDM tucson para pangalawang tester na siya ng KDM tucson engine na hindi tuned sa quality ng diesel natin
    pwede rin

Kasi kung mag oorder siya sa HARI baka abutin pa ng 2011. Kasi kung pa isa-isa lang ang order, hindi magpapadala ang HARI.

Unless siguro bayaran mo na yung unit. Then mapipilitan sila.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    You have your own opinion & i have mine.. you're leaning towards the forester & i like the sorento.. period :bye:
    What opinion? If you didn't catch my review... I loved the Sorento.

I'm just pointing out facts, and facts are: The Sorento has a 190 km/h speed limiter, the Forester XT doesn't. Don't know why that's such a big deal. You don't buy big SUVs like the Sorento to set speed records, anyway.
    Last edited by niky; September 17th, 2010 at 02:11 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    The Santa Fe has the same engine as the Sorento and it is lighter and smaller as well. Am I right? And that it is also not speed limited? I'd love to see this one fitted with a Unichip race with a Forester FXT. Based on what I read in the Santa Fe club forums, the old 150hp Santa Fe tops out at 215km/h. Now, I wonder what this new one, having 44 more horses, is capable of? No one seems to have tried it yet. As for those three stated above, I'd take the Sorento 2.2ReVGT for the added space, comfort, better looks and frugal yet fast engine.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    What opinion? If you didn't catch my review... I loved the Sorento.

I'm just pointing out facts, and facts are: The Sorento has a 190 km/h speed limiter, the Forester XT doesn't. Don't know why that's such a big deal. You don't buy big SUVs like the Sorento to set speed records, anyway.
    I didnt buy a big SUV to set speed records, i just dont want driving a sluggish SUV. You dont need to point out facts because everyone knows for a fact that the forester is faster than the sorento. Just accept the fact that the stock forester's top speed is attainable by the sorento but with a slower time.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    I didnt buy a big SUV to set speed records, i just dont want driving a sluggish SUV. You dont need to point out facts because everyone knows for a fact that the forester is faster than the sorento. Just accept the fact that the stock forester's top speed is attainable by the sorento but with a slower time.
    Sir JPG111, Do you own or have driven a Sorento? I was wondering if you were really able to pass the 190km/h mark. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if its ECU limited I'm sure it will not be that hard to reprogram the ECU or find a way to override the limiter.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    Sir JPG111, Do you own or have driven a Sorento? I was wondering if you were really able to pass the 190km/h mark. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if its ECU limited I'm sure it will not be that hard to reprogram the ECU or find a way to override the limiter.
    I dont own a sorento but ive driven the new santa fe which shares the same engine with the sorento.. I havent driven it with that kind of speed but as what you've also said & i also know that the old santa fe could pass 200 so what more with the new engine with more HP. There's always a chip upgrade to override the limiter :drive1:

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Errh... what? I was pointing out the Forester's top speed is higher. The Sorento's speed limiter is set at 185-190 km/h. The Forester XT's limiter is set at 205+. Whatever the speedometers say, when your car stops accelerating, that's how fast you're going.

And speedometers flat out lie at high speeds. At best, they're about 3-5 km/h off... at worst (and I've seen this on some Kia test units), they're 10+ km/h off. Unless you have a Kia Sorento recording 205 km/h on a V-Box (I've checked out the speedo function on Garmins, and they're woeful), no, it can't reach the Forester's top speed.

I'm not stating any opinions here. Just facts. I'm not calling the Sorento sluggish (far from it, even with the gasoline engine, it's pretty quick), it's just that it won't hit the same top speed as a Forester XT unless you fiddle around with the ECU.

Of course, if someone would like to prove that it can, there's a Speedlab drag racing event at Subic this October... we'll have timing gear with us.
    Last edited by niky; September 17th, 2010 at 06:27 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Hyundai Tucson 2.0R Premium eVGT or Kia Sorento 2.2R eVGT FWD or SubaruForester2.5XT