New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Errh... what? I was pointing out the Forester's top speed is higher. The Sorento's speed limiter is set at 185-190 km/h. The Forester XT's limiter is set at 205+. Whatever the speedometers say, when your car stops accelerating, that's how fast you're going.

And speedometers flat out lie at high speeds. At best, they're about 3-5 km/h off... at worst (and I've seen this on some Kia test units), they're 10+ km/h off. Unless you have a Kia Sorento recording 205 km/h on a V-Box (I've checked out the speedo function on Garmins, and they're woeful), no, it can't reach the Forester's top speed.

I'm not stating any opinions here. Just facts. I'm not calling the Sorento sluggish (far from it, even with the gasoline engine, it's pretty quick), it's just that it won't hit the same top speed as a Forester XT unless you fiddle around with the ECU.

Of course, if someone would like to prove that it can, there's a Speedlab drag racing event at Subic this October... we'll have timing gear with us.
    I'll say it again, Im not questioning the forester's performance coz i know its quicker & faster than the sorento.. Ok , ok the the sorento wont reach the stock forester's top speed. I wont argue anymore with mr. know it all here in tsikot . Oh btw will you race your souped up ford lynx at the racing event in subic?

2. Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Kia Sorento ako... Astig itsura! Ganda ng interior... Diesel 2.2L R-Engine 5seater gamit ko... dami lang kulang accessories compare to SF.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JPG111 View Post
    I'll say it again, Im not questioning the forester's performance coz i know its quicker & faster than the sorento.. Ok , ok the the sorento wont reach the stock forester's top speed. I wont argue anymore with mr. know it all here in tsikot . Oh btw will you race your souped up ford lynx at the racing event in subic?
    And I'm not putting down the Sorento/Santa Fe. Dad has the latter and I've been very impressed by the former (I think the Sorento is probably the best handling transverse-engined seven seater I've ever driven... next to the CX9). Peace?

Which one? Was invited to the next drag event at Clark... don't know about the upcoming Subic one. Depending on scheduling (going to be in Subic on an unrelated matter next weekend), I might try to catch it. Would probably bring the Focus, though...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Just curious ...

*niky, ever happen to know what was the top speed of the turbocharged foresters that was tuned by speedlab ?

in your previous post, you said a " moderately performance-enhanced " forester could reach 240kph. and im not considering the two fxt's as moderately enhanced ...

5. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    there's a guy at scp that can do 270kmh he has 370whp on his forester, but his speedo was stock so he wasn't sure how much faster it can go.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Didn't try to GPS it? 270 on the speedo could be anywhere between 250-280 km/h. But with 370 whp, (about 450 bhp), it should be possible.

Never asked. I heard the Speedlab Forester has pegged its speedo, but I don't know if they've ever VBoxed it.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis818 View Post
    That's comforting, foresterx, but now I just read that the new revised Forester is coming to RP by 2nd qtr. 2011 and the changes are not only cosmetic ... new transmission, new boxer engine, etc. Might change my plans altogether.

found the article here: http://www.motioncars.com/article.php?id=123
    This article, too, made me re-think of my plans of getting the XT, which I have been eyeing before I went on a one-month sabbatical abroad. In fact, my MI agent has already adviced me twice on the availability of the units I had reserved, but passed up on them in the meantime (but my reservation fee is still with them). The reported 2011 variant (which MI cannot confirm if it would reach PI shores within the year), plus "less toys" in the interior, would make you consider the other vehicles, diesel-fed nga lang, like the facelifted Santa Fe and the Sorento if you're after value-for-money. Had also a brief infatuation with a pre-owned Mohave, only to find out later that I was taken for a ride.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by simply_louie View Post
    This article, too, made me re-think of my plans of getting the XT, which I have been eyeing before I went on a one-month sabbatical abroad. In fact, my MI agent has already adviced me twice on the availability of the units I had reserved, but passed up on them in the meantime (but my reservation fee is still with them). The reported 2011 variant (which MI cannot confirm if it would reach PI shores within the year), plus "less toys" in the interior, would make you consider the other vehicles, diesel-fed nga lang, like the facelifted Santa Fe and the Sorento if you're after value-for-money. Had also a brief infatuation with a pre-owned Mohave, only to find out later that I was taken for a ride.
    right now it's still usdm market only no news yet if eudm market will get it and subaru philippines is eudm. plus i personally think that they should bring the diesel forester instead of the new forester that has minor changes. as a forester owner i wouldn't replace my forester with a new one just with that slight changes, i'll only replace my forester if they offer a new transmission for the forester or bring the diesel here in the philippines.

and yes the forester lacks interior features, but trust me the raw performance it has will make up for it.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by foresterx View Post
    right now it's still usdm market only no news yet if eudm market will get it and subaru philippines is eudm. plus i personally think that they should bring the diesel forester instead of the new forester that has minor changes. as a forester owner i wouldn't replace my forester with a new one just with that slight changes, i'll only replace my forester if they offer a new transmission for the forester or bring the diesel here in the philippines.

and yes the forester lacks interior features, but trust me the raw performance it has will make up for it.

I totally agree on the last statement.. I have a 2006 SF and 2010 FXT and the performance is really different. Just don't know with the 2010 SF

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Hyundai Tucson 2.0R Premium eVGT or Kia Sorento 2.2R eVGT FWD or SubaruForester2.5XT