New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    why do radiators explode (or sumasabog as a fellow tsikoteer describes it in the other thread ) during hard driving ?

given our fellow tsikoteer's rig was already long in the tooth (pajero fm), why did its radiator explode while traversing the tplex at a high speed? and wouldn't it have shown some symptoms or tell tale signs before it gave way violently?

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by baludoy View Post
    why do radiators explode (or sumasabog as a fellow tsikoteer describes it in the other thread ) during hard driving ?

given our fellow tsikoteer's rig was already long in the tooth (pajero fm), why did its radiator explode while traversing the tplex at a high speed? and wouldn't it have shown some symptoms or tell tale signs before it gave way violently?
    wear and tear, po. with a little bit of forgetfulness thrown in.
    radiators swell and contract, with every drive.
    eventually, they simply get too old and weak, and they just spring a leak, or burst at the seams.
    in some instances, it was the radiator cap that gave up the ghost because there was very little coolant inside, and whatever coolant was in there, became super-heated steam.
    in my case, my needle was going too hot, and when i looked at the engine bay, i saw my coolant reservoir boiling... because my aux fan was dying..

if the car used to be driven in a temperate country where water froze during the winter, that radiator may have been subjected to greater swings in temperature and pressure, and in all likelihood, more prone to rupture.

i have this qaqilala.. it was an older car, and it never occured to him to check the coolant, after two years...
    Last edited by dr. d; June 5th, 2017 at 09:52 AM.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2015

good question, bro.

i have other cars, but i find the FM unusually hot. i was advised by Mitsubishi to monitor the auxiliary fan because it's almost always the cause of overheating, especially if what is installed isn't OEM. and that auxiliary fan is worth Php12,000 more or less.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Martinez View Post
    good question, bro.

i have other cars, but i find the FM unusually hot. i was advised by Mitsubishi to monitor the auxiliary fan because it's almost always the cause of overheating, especially if what is installed isn't OEM. and that auxiliary fan is worth Php12,000 more or less.
    My very old Mitsu's radiator burst when the auxiliary fan died.

Sent from my SM-T705 using Tsikot Forums mobile app

5. Join Date
    Dec 2009

Pressure mounts when temperature rises, too much of it result in bursting the radiator pipes

Combusting fuel heats up the engine, burn much fuel in a short span of time by flooring the accelerator to speed up to 160kph after a considerable drive, that completes the recipe for disaster. Fuel, rise in temperature, pressure mount and finally the disaster

Additional contributors would be sticky engine oil, failing auxillary fan all add up to the heat of the engine

The number one enemy of an engine is HEAT because of its built, metal. Metals liquefy under extreme heat

Radiators are made of aluminum and it melts much quicker than steel iron

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tsikot Forums mobile app
    Last edited by kisshmet; June 5th, 2017 at 03:57 PM.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I think meron ng mga micro cracks yung top or bottom cover ng radiator niya since plastic yung original na cover ng FM. Yung pressure build up ng makina since hinatak niya maigi yung rig niya sa plastic cover lumabas since meron mga crack.

Hindi niya pa kabisado yung FM niya since bago lang ito sa kanya.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    ^well plastic is less rigid than metal thats why its the first to crack under pressure

8. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    thanks for enlightening me

so my next question is: are there any tell tale signs if your radiator have micro cracks on it already?
    Last edited by baludoy; June 6th, 2017 at 02:17 PM.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kisshmet View Post
    ^well plastic is less rigid than metal thats why its the first to crack under pressure

given proper care, plastic-tubbed radiators can give metal ones a run for their money.
    but i wonder, how much does a plastic radiator cost, vis a vis the metal equivalent?
    Last edited by dr. d; June 6th, 2017 at 12:48 PM.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    thanks for enlightening me

so my next question is: are there any tell tale signs if your radiator has micro cracks on it already?
    Visual inspection is good.

With a high mileage or old vehicle that's still using it's original radiator, better to take it down for a general service and inspection. Using coolant also helps as seepage can be seen with the residue that gets left behind.

Here's what the radiator of our LC80 looked like a few years ago, when we had the radiator shop take it down for service and inspection (the LC was at least 15 years old that time).

Last edited by vinj; June 6th, 2017 at 01:29 PM.

Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast