New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 9 of 319 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959109 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Not on all 4bys. Remember your units are lighter than usual rigs. It only means that your braking power is stronger than it needs. Maybe it is adjusted for occassional offroad abuse, balancing out city driven vehicle. Try to load the rear area about 10-15kgs. static weight to compensate for those lock-ups.

2. Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Originally posted by Tifosi
    Ahh so premature lock-up pala yung napapansin ko sa Jimny especially pag nagmamaneobra. I notice this lalo na pagnapapalakas ang apak ko sa preno;I hear this thud when I apply the brake, parang nahuhulog yung tranny!

But when I was driving it, wala naman akong napansin na naglolock yung brakes. I took it to 100, ok naman, smooth pa nga yung deceleration eh. I guess when you drive hard, that's when you notice it (correct me if I'm wrong irmscher).

Can the 4x4 gurus explain why premature lock-up is common in 4x4's?
    Tifosi, I assume that when you say smooth deceleration, you're saying that smooth and modulated din ang apak mo sa preno. In this case, hindi naman mag-lo-lockup ang preno ng Jimny. My observation is really based on comparison with normal sedans (which is what I'm accustomed to). Kasi kahit anong kotse naman, if you really, I mean really slam the brakes, you can really lock it up. Pwera nalang ang ABS equipped vehicles. I also don't think it's inherent in all 4x4s kasi sa Pajero namaneho ko never ko na-experience ito.

I think ungas gave a very plausible answer and I tend to agree with him.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Thanks for the explanations

Try ko lagyan ng weight yung likod ng Jimny. Lagyan ko kaya ng sako ng buhangin? hehehe

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Just make sure the sack is sealed properly. Unless you'd want to vaccum all the lose sands behind it. :D

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    When driven normally, halos pareho lang ang sedan at SUV.

It's at 10/10ths driving na lumalabas ang differences. Yes, maaga ang lock-up ng SUV's and ang lakas ng understeer. I almost fell off the road once. But how many of us actually drive 10/10ths everyday, diba?

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    A lot of the lockup that you are experiencing can be caused by the quality and type of tire. the stock tires that the Jimny comes with are cheap and have a tendency to skid prematurely. If you replace this with a better tire (e.g. Yokohama Geolandat A/T) you will see that the brakes are not to blame. Another reason for brake lockup is attributable to new brakes and pads that have not yet set in. It takes a while for the pad and rotor to mesh properly and it is important not to go heavy on the brake pedal on new pads and rotors so that it wears naturally and evenly. Nonetheless, the only weak link in your jimny are the tires for now. You will feel more confident with it's handling and general driving characteristics once you have made this change.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    hi. first post here. some of you might know my dad, "rookie" as known on other forums, hence you might be wondering me using the name "rking".

i've been driving a stock manual Jimny everyday for almost a year now. I would have to say that i know the car pretty well after so long. As for speed, it is respectable although the gear ratios would only allow you to drive the car to 140km/h at at that point the tach would be reving around 5000-5500 rpm on 5th. power to weight ratio is very good and would literally rocket the car to 140 kph when you have the pedal on the floor. it drives more like a 1600 car although you would have to change gears faster because of the very close gear ratios.

As for the ride, its like riding on a horse. The suspension is kinda stiff and to make it worse the short wheelbase literally throws you around inside the vehicle. i have no doubt that this could be improved by changing the shock absorbers.

As for the tires locking up pretty fast. I believe its more of the weight of the vehicle and the suspension. the car literally bounces around on the road giving it less traction. under hard braking the combination of the bouncing and the stock tires cause the tires to easily lock up. hence if damping was improved that problem would be eliminated.

As for the fun factor, amongst all our cars in the family. I would have to put this on top of the list. I've done some really stupid and fun things with the car including bringing it to a trail in the middle of a jungle in Mindoro to explore the different beaches. Driving it through a creek in Mindoro to get to a private beach (of course after close inspection of what i had to pass through). Exploring the mountains of San Mateo to find a suitable flying site and taking the vehicle to the Lahar areas in pamapanga. All that on my own. I guess the risk of getting stuck just wanted me to push the vehicle further to its limits. I've also driven the car over the jumps of the motocross track right next to the flying field just recently. (I saw kasi a modified canter going over those jumps and a pic of my dads samurai going up a 30 degree incline in that same area and thought to myself "heck! my jimny could get through that". I did get stuck once though on the bigger motocross jump when i stopped right in the middle to check how it looked like. hahahaha. A friend and i had to push the car desperately to get it out. The car literally see-sawed on the jump.

well, just wanted to share my two cents. For those of you that think its slow. its not! Ever since i got the Jimny, i've always taught it to be as my little red rally car. ;)

;)
    Last edited by rking; October 2nd, 2003 at 04:18 PM.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Welcome to Tsikot Rking :D

I have seen Jimny's perform in the lahar areas it is like a baby in the cradle it won't stuck hehe

small but terrible :D

It would be great if you can show some pix of your baby :D in action...

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    more things to know about the jimny, part time 4wd ba? may 4L or 4H ba?

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    welcome to tsikot RKING, yup i know your dad, mister rookie he..he,
    jimny is one capable machine, a bone stock "just off the showroom" jimny tag along with us the last time we went to mt tapulao or "high peak"
    and i was amazed...
    h/t tires and eveything stock, galing!!!

20, yup the jimny is a part time 4wd with low range gears
    plus a solid axle front and rear.

Suzuki JIMNY [merged threads]