Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrayv View Post
    Ubuntu 9.04 'Jaunty Jackalope' officially released

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download
    Woohoo!!!! :D

Time to update.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    That's one thing I like about Linux- out of the myriad distros out there, you'll likely find one that you're comfortable with. In my case, that would be Linux Mint. I've already installed and removed from my computer Ubuntu 9.04, Mandriva 2009.1, PCLinux OS 2009, Fedora 10, Sabayon 4.1 and OpenSuse 11.1. In each case, I always find something wrong. Ubuntu and Mandriva did not respond as smoothly as I expect. PCLinux lacked the necessary package to utilize sub-pixel smoothing for fonts. Fedora had this puzzling behavior of trying to update but not getting anything. OpenSuse did not correctly detect the correct aspect ratio and size of my LCD... So on and so forth...

Figure 1: Here's a screenshot of my laptop's desktop. Linux Mint 6 installed with VMWare Server 2 running XP as as guest OS.

Figure : So long as I'm not multi-tasking on the host OS, my laptop's system resources (Aspire 4736z) are barely breaking a sweat. Plenty of muscle and speed to spare.

Not Mint. It's a quite performer, solid as a rock and plays well with software not readily available in its repos (like VMWare Server 2). Easy to maintain and quick on its feet. So it is the distro not only on my desktop but also on my laptop

By the way that VMWare Server updates the guest OS right down to the last WinXP hotfix as of 2 days ago, USB-2 enabled with sound and video all working. Guest's Internet works through the host OS's wifi connection to a router which is in turn connected to smartbro.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Please tell us the specs of your laptop... the usual problems with linux on laptops are the drivers for the video (seldom), webcam, audio (very seldom), and Wifi (too often).

My Lenovo Thinkpad X61 had problems with high-speed (draft N) connections on Ubuntu 8.10, that's why I'm hesitant to upgrade to 9.04 (I've given up on 8.10, but it's still installed, available if I need it).

5. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Please tell us the specs of your laptop... the usual problems with linux on laptops are the drivers for the video (seldom), webcam, audio (very seldom), and Wifi (too often).

My Lenovo Thinkpad X61 had problems with high-speed (draft N) connections on Ubuntu 8.10, that's why I'm hesitant to upgrade to 9.04 (I've given up on 8.10, but it's still installed, available if I need it).

6. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    bro, here's the specs of my laptop which I bought it at Complink but the specs sheet is more detailed at the Villman website kaya Villman yung lnk:

http://www.villman.com/Product-Detai...4736z-422G25Mn

I had no problem with Bluetooth or wifi or camera (using Skype) when I tried Ubuntu 9.04, Mandriva 2009.1, and PCLinuxOS 2009.1. Auto-detected lahat pati correct screen resolution. Gulat nga ako sa galing ng drivers ng mga distro ngayon (ang hindi lang madetect ay yung built-in mike sa ibabaw ng LCD.) This laptop is also equipped with Draft N-type wireless.

Mas gusto ko lang talaga Linux Mint. Very well-behaved, quick and easy-to-use.

By the way, if you could point me in the right direction... I would like to change the refresh rate of my laptop from 60Hz to 75Hz or 85Hz. Di ko pa kabisado manual configuration ng Linux

7. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    pahabol, hehe...

I also tried Kubuntu 9.04 and a couple other new KDE distros and the common problem I meet was the connectivity to my wireless router. They detect it, present me with a connection dialog to enter passphrase but failed to connect. The only KDE based distro that worked with my laptop's wifi was Mandriva 2009.1. Now I remember why I removed it: when I tried to update it, there were quite a number of broken, corrupted packages. I could try it again after some time when they have fixed it.

Then again, by that time Mint 7 would have been released.. heheh

8. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Linux Mint 7 Final is now available.

http://linuxmint.com/

I installed it at my desktop at home, replacing Mint 6. It is very beautiful. I haven't had time to look around in earnest but from first impressions, it looks to be just as stable as usual and even more newbie-friendly.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    may mga pipol here knowledgeable on VPN implementations on Linux? I've been reading the ubuntu documentation and OpenVPN docs... so far nasusundan ko naman (but I haven't tried actually setting up servers / clients).. but sa mga nababasa ko, parang wala pang nag fi fit sa use case that I have... i'm not even sure kung uubra ang VPN using linux here (or windows for that matter)..

basically the objective is to provide secure remote access to an office LAN where files and applications (client/server/) - all windows based to external (out of the office) users through the internet.

I am hoping to use Linux as a firewall / router / vpn server to expose the windows LAN... uubra kaya? the clients that will be accessing remotely are also mostly using windows desktops..

10. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    ugh, tagal ng release ng FC11
    Damn, son! Where'd you find this?

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
tsikot-linux club