New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Currently downloading the Jacklab dvd iso. Supposedly, Jacklab is the most media-friendly distro.

Enlightment has been my favorite Linux GUI through the years. So, I'll be downloading Elive 17 as well
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; December 19th, 2008 at 11:40 AM.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    We have cable broadband at home. It took 30 minutes to download a Linux dvd iso and around 10 minutes to download the Ubuntu cd iso. That's fast. Yet, once Ubuntu is installed and auto-updates kick in, it's glacially slow:

Sorry to rain on people's parades. But, Microsoft's and Apple's servers are nowhere this slow. This simply sucks.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    This summarizes my gripes with Linux in general. Ubuntu is supposed to be one of the easier distros to live with. Yet, there still are many frustrations......

Using DVD playback as an example.... Both Vista and OSX have DVD playback built in. XP does not. But, it's a simple matter of downloading the VLC binary, installing it, and voila! DVD playback.

Attempting the same with Ubuntu yields this from VLC's web site:

This is why I feel Linux for the desktop has a long way to go still. Any tinkerer like myself can put up with stuff like this. But, many people can't and won't regardless if Linux is free. That's why most people still prefer Windows or OSX for daily use while Linux is still mainly for gee whiz or tinkering around with.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; December 19th, 2008 at 06:50 PM.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Just an update on Ubuntu 8.10 running under VMWare Server with Vista Home Premium as host......

Sound now works. I can play some video and audio files. Internet works fine (via WiFi G). Videos run smoothly. I'd say it's functional enough for my needs.

Linux is still a "gee whiz" OS for me. But, the potential is still big enough for me to be fascinated by it. I'd be stupid to ignore Linux.

Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; December 20th, 2008 at 11:56 AM.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    It looks like VMWare Server also supports 3d-acceleration for games. I installed BilliardGL for Ubuntu. It definitely looked like OpenGL acceleration was active and played ok under virtualization.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    /me hugs his fedora for being uber stable lol
    Damn, son! Where'd you find this?

7. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    We have cable broadband at home. It took 30 minutes to download a Linux dvd iso and around 10 minutes to download the Ubuntu cd iso. That's fast. Yet, once Ubuntu is installed and auto-updates kick in, it's glacially slow:

Sorry to rain on people's parades. But, Microsoft's and Apple's servers are nowhere this slow. This simply sucks.
    Servers shmervers.

Maybe you can further substantiate this with a similar screenshot where XP SP3 is being downloaded? The installed XP should be a freshly-installed SP2 version.

Or maybe stock Vista, then download SP1.

Then time this: Start from the time you update synaptic until all the updates are installed.

With Vista: Start the timer when you start updating until SP1 has been installed.

With XP: Start the timer when you start updating until SP3 has been installed.

This should even up the playing field.
    Last edited by woohoo; December 20th, 2008 at 01:09 PM.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by woohoo View Post
    Servers shmervers.

Maybe you can further substantiate this with a similar screenshot where XP SP3 is being downloaded? The installed XP should be a freshly-installed SP2 version.

Or maybe stock Vista, then download SP1.

Then time this: Start from the time you update synaptic until all the updates are installed.

With Vista: Start the timer when you start updating until SP1 has been installed.

With XP: Start the timer when you start updating until SP3 has been installed.

This should even up the playing field.
    I'd say Vista SP1 took the longest to install and that's already having the file downloaded earlier. I recall XP SP3 didn't take that long. With Ubuntu, the download from the server was the limiting factor. Otherwise, the updates themselves were pretty speedy. I downloaded again later and I got a steady 800kb/sec. So, yup. I take back that remark I made earlier.

But, hey. I grumble all the time when things don't seem right. But once things settle down, it's "Ooops. I guess I was wrong". Happens all the time.

Of course, Vista SP1 was on a laptop with a 4200rpm SATA hard drive. XP Home SP3 was on my main desktop pc with fast 7200rpm hard drives. The Ubuntu updates were from within VMWare Server of that same laptop.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; December 20th, 2008 at 01:25 PM.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    I'd say Vista SP1 took the longest to install and that's already having the file downloaded earlier. I recall XP SP3 didn't take that long. With Ubuntu, the download from the server was the limiting factor. Otherwise, the updates themselves were pretty speedy. I downloaded again later and I got a steady 800kb/sec. So, yup. I take back that remark I made earlier.

But, hey. I grumble all the time when things don't seem right. But once things settle down, it's "Ooops. I guess I was wrong". Happens all the time.

Of course, Vista SP1 was on a laptop with a 4200rpm SATA hard drive. XP Home SP3 was on my main desktop pc with fast 7200rpm hard drives. The Ubuntu updates were from within VMWare Server of that same laptop.
    That's more like it... A good discussion of more factors that contribute to the subject task (updating new installations of common OS'es)...

:clap:

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by woohoo View Post
    That's more like it... A good discussion of more factors that contribute to the subject task (updating new installations of common OS'es)...

:clap:
    Oh, that just me when I gripe. I may gripe about Linux. But, that's only because it has so much potential. It's just the little things which keep it from greatness.

I've used up many dvdr/cdr blanks discs in the past testing out various Linux distros. I decided to switch to virtualization software so I can use the iso images themselves and save on discs.

It's a good thing VMWare Server is free. For me, it seems to be the best of the freebies.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
tsikot-linux club