New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    some mechanics get irritated, when a total stranger comes around and asks question after question. i'd get irritated, too, if this stranger even hints that what i am explaining out of the goodness of my heart, is incorrect. i mean, i am here in the shop, to make a living, not to teach.
    TS might not be hearing what he wants to hear from the mechanic, but that does not mean the mechanic is doing it wrong. perhaps he is doing it right, but he just can not explain it well enough. but that's fine with me. i pay him for what his hands do.

videos of how to bleed brakes or power steering systems, are plentiful in the internet. i am sure these audio-visual presentations will prove to be more effective than my monologue here. i am sure TS can easily download a few of them, to view over and over again, until he "understands it right".

good luck, po.
    i hope casa allows you to stand by as they service your vehicle. observing mechanics at work, is always an educational endeavor.

btw, be mindful of the pedal free play.
    Well.. the problem was I didn't ask enough questions. I mean.. I just entered the shop and told them to replace the steering system pressure hose as Honda told me the diameter was so small and I told them to replace the black steering fluid. I nearly left the car there but just stayed to watch. After replacing the pressure hose.. he was not sure how to flush the black fluid...

What he did was remove the pressure hose pressure switch sensor valve partially and let the steering fluid drain a bit while filing up the reservoir.. but after doing it for 2 minutes and closing the valve.. we can no longer turn the steering wheel with engine on. He thought sira na pump. Buti bumalik steering but with huge noise after 20 minutes. I didn't know what happened.. but after analyzing for days the mechanics of a rack and pinion.. kanina I realized what if he pumped so much air the rack and pinion no longer works because it's compressing air instead of hydraulic fluid?! Is this possible. i'm still analyzing what happened...

But i'll focus on the brake master first bukas. I'll buy a black paint and sandpaper and have the new service center sand paper the flaked off paint of the brake booster caused by the corrosive leaking brake fluid before doing the bench bleed and reconnection to the steering system.. someone suggested this early here.. tama to sandpaper it right.. hindi papasok debris sa loob ng booster?

After the brake master is successfully installed and bleed. I'll leave the car at Honda to flush the black steering fluid costing 3k (with chemical daw).. then continue analyzing what happened last week when the steering wheel stopped turning after he drained the pressure hose partially.. dapat sa return line mag drain. He also risked damaging my pump.

Maybe he is not really the head mechanic but just an apprentice whom I thought is the head mechanic.. just not to put the company at bad light.. they have few customer and kawawa naman to give them bad advertisement but need to share what they did for education and learning.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    but you already uploaded the picture of the shop, complete with address, along with your critique.
    you already put them in a bad light.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Isa pang paraan para magpalit ng brake fluid/power steering fluid eh “syringe” method. Higupin ung fluid hanggang sa maubos, tapos top-up lang ng bago. Syempre may bleeding pa din yan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    brake still not fixed hahaha

my two cents. enroll in TESDA and fix your vehicle DIY.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2016
    I called up PowerTor. Talked to the technician and discussed with him how he would do it. So far, ok naman kasi they are willing to spend 2 hours to bleed using hose and bottles whereas in Car Zone in banawe.. they don't have time to use hose because sobra daw haba pila ng mga cars pagawa dun so hindi ma focus on detailed bleeding.

When I passed by Honda to buy brake fluid on way to PowerTor. Kinausap ko yun service adviser asking him on the minute details of the process. So far marunong naman mag bleed. And considering meron about 100 mechanico sa Honda.. then pinagawa ko na lang replacement sa Honda casa with 3,000 pesos surcharge for parts bought outside. Malayo rin PowerTor and my brakes may not last that long. At least I can complain to Honda management if hindi marunong mag bleed and make sure tama yun pedal play (which dr. d emphasized pero hindi ako familiar if not normal ang pedal play)

About yun service center who doesn't know how to flush steering fluid and doesn't focus on bleeding.. remember the mechanico there introduced air to my steering system by opening the drain at the pressure hose side and partially pa.. at least hindi nasira yun pump or rack and pinion.. kasi air in steering fluid can damage the pump. Since mukhang ok naman yun pump.. then I can forgive them for their mistake. I already removed the pictures of their shop at imageshack.. the photos in this thread will disappear in a while too.. if not.. then let's request the mods to just delete it (only me and dr. d posted the pics (when he replied)). It is only for reference for those immediately people here at present for our discussion and not for future reference for hundreds and thousands who are not present with us now. It is because of them that I realized some mechanico doesn't focus on hydraulics physics or principles (which is what the steering system and brake system rely on pa).

Thanks for all who help as it gives me the knowledge and make me understand the process a bit more giving me the information I needed to decide where to have it replaced with peace of mind for years to come...

6. Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Lew_Alcindor View Post
    brake still not fixed hahaha

my two cents. enroll in TESDA and fix your vehicle DIY.
    my goodness... sa dami ng pinuntahan nya. ang laki na ng ginastos sa gas at ORAS... pinagawa nalang sana sa CASA para natapos na...

7. Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by flxrms View Post
    my goodness... sa dami ng pinuntahan nya. ang laki na ng ginastos sa gas at ORAS... pinagawa nalang sana sa CASA para natapos na...
    Pinagawa ko na sa casa last January 22 kasi the others don't do proper bleeding procedure.. at least sa casa puwede complain if meron pa air... here is my new one:

problem is the paint sa brake booster.. Honda said they don't fix it.. could I just remove the black one and paint black paint over it? is the metal iron or aluminum sa brake booster so I can estimate how fast it can deteriorate if left alone.. tnx..

8. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by k_leos View Post
    Pinagawa ko na sa casa last January 22 kasi the others don't do proper bleeding procedure.. at least sa casa puwede complain if meron pa air... here is my new one:

problem is the paint sa brake booster.. Honda said they don't fix it.. could I just remove the black one and paint black paint over it? is the metal iron or aluminum sa brake booster so I can estimate how fast it can deteriorate if left alone.. tnx..
    the paint job is better done, prior to replacement of brake master. the metal is not paint-sensitive. most of them are iron.
    i just clean the booster surface, sandpaper it, brush on rust converter if i have any, then paint it with my choice of color. and as i have no artistic objective, i just use red lead paint.

the booster can last years, before rust eats thru the metal. but once it does, you will rue the day you decided not to fix it earlier.
    Last edited by dr. d; February 1st, 2018 at 11:51 AM.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2016
    the paint job is better done, prior to replacement of brake master. the metal is not paint-sensitive. most of them are iron.
    i just clean the booster surface, sandpaper it, brush on rust converter if i have any, then paint it with my choice of color. and as i have no artistic objective, i just use red lead paint.

the booster can last years, before rust eats thru the metal. but once it does, you will rue the day you decided not to fix it earlier.
    i'll do it next week.. what you meant by "brush on rust converter if I have any", anong rust converter?

10. Join Date
    Jan 2018
    many of the major car makers do not manufacture some of their parts. they buy from other specialized manufacturers.
    i have heard of the seiken brand. "it seems popular." so no, i do not think it will last only 10,000 km. heh heh. why don't you take a look at what is installed in your car now? the manufacturer's mark may be there.

bleeding brake lines in our country is a manual chore. i have had mine done many times. ok naman, kahit for skyway purposes. heh heh.

btw, my brake master has gone over 110K km.
    they are pretty reliable.

btw, i recommend looking at any replacement part frequently for the first few days (or weeks), just in case... that is, if they are easy to look at.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456