New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 9 of 39 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 12vdc View Post
    How would you know the CCA of a regular UPS battery if the label says Ah ratings only? VRLA Gel and AGM types on -48VDC system also have Ah ratings but not CCA? I've read the manual online and it says from 100CCA 5increments to 2000CCA, so if I'm going to test a 100Ah VRLA, what CCA should i choose from the menu? I guess test will only be accurate if CCA is advertised by the battery manufacturer as the tester compare CCA values to get the SOH.
    All this time, I haven't actually used the tester on UPS batteries as I didn't have any SLA batteries lying around. But as I looked at the Micro 200 spec sheet, I realized that, although, it is designed for 12-24V lead acid battery configurations, it can only measure batteries that are between 30-200 Ah in capacity... which is car battery territory.

Most commodity compact UPSes use 12V | 4, 7 or 12 Ah batteries, which is way below what the Micro 200 can accurately measure. For that, you could opt to exchange it for the Micro 30 instead. The Micro 30 can measure 12V SLA batteries in the 3-30 Ah range.

So, I'm just finding this out right now, too. Sucks to know that I can't use the Micro 200 on any of my Yuasa NP7-12 batteries that are currently in service. But knowing what I know now, I'll be buying a Micro 30 to test UPS batteries and keep the Micro 200 for batteries larger than 30 Ah.

I should've left a disclaimer; Caveat emptor. Sorry bro.
    Last edited by oj88; May 19th, 2018 at 12:00 AM.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    All this time, I haven't actually used the tester on UPS batteries as I didn't have any SLA batteries lying around. But as I looked at the Micro 200 spec sheet, I realized that, although, it is designed for 12-24V lead acid battery configurations, it can only measure batteries that are between 30-200 Ah in capacity... which is car battery territory.

Most commodity compact UPSes use 12V | 4, 7 or 12 Ah batteries, which is way below what the Micro 200 can accurately measure. For that, you could opt to exchange it for the Micro 30 instead. The Micro 30 can measure 12V SLA batteries in the 3-30 Ah range.

So, I'm just finding this out right now, too. Sucks to know that I can't use the Micro 200 on any of my Yuasa NP7-12 batteries that are currently in service. But knowing what I know now, I'll be buying a Micro 30 to test UPS batteries and keep the Micro 200 for batteries larger than 30 Ah.

I should've left a disclaimer; Caveat emptor. Sorry bro.
    Still good to have that micro200 for automotive use but i'm wondering how accurate if the CCA will not be advertised by the battery manufacturer. I've only known Amaron to advertise CCA but Motolite and VRLA manufacturers does not. I guess CCA values will also be needed info for the Micro30. I've been searching also in the web for VRLA CCA values but got nothing, i guess they are not designed for large current draw. This Lamcol could have been a cheaper tester alternative to what we use in the field, a korean brand. Same principle as measuring the internal resistance and could be operated even if the batteries are operational/on float charge. I'd order one to compare the ohmic readings.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Still good to have that micro200 for automotive use but i'm wondering how accurate if the CCA will not be advertised by the battery manufacturer. I've only known Amaron to advertise CCA but Motolite and VRLA manufacturers does not. I guess CCA values will also be needed info for the Micro30. I've been searching also in the web for VRLA CCA values but got nothing, i guess they are not designed for large current draw. This Lamcol could have been a cheaper tester alternative to what we use in the field, a korean brand. Same principle as measuring the internal resistance and could be operated even if the batteries are operational/on float charge. I'd order one to compare the ohmic readings.
    If you go look under the GB standard, it will let you enter Ah values. From there, the tester will calibrate itself and give you the estimated CCA value of the battery in the results. You don't typically need CCA readings for batteries intended for standby use. The Amp-Hr rating and internal resistance is the more relevant measurement that you can make if it's a UPS battery to get a meaningful SOH.

Just an opinion.

Anyway, real CCA tests are performed at -18°C, as per the standard. So dyan pa lang, the results are already skewed anyway if the measurement was taken with the battery in the engine bay that has an ambient temp between 30-85°C.

4. Join Date
    May 2014
    di pala pwede measure CCA using small multimeter.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjababez View Post
    di pala pwede measure CCA using small multimeter.
    Nope.

It can be used in conjunction with other test equipment. Like, it can measure the voltage drop across the test load, etc.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    If you go look under the GB standard, it will let you enter Ah values. From there, the tester will calibrate itself and give you the estimated CCA value of the battery in the results. You don't typically need CCA readings for batteries intended for standby use. The Amp-Hr rating and internal resistance is the more relevant measurement that you can make if it's a UPS battery to get a meaningful SOH.

Just an opinion.

Anyway, real CCA tests are performed at -18°C, as per the standard. So dyan pa lang, the results are already skewed anyway if the measurement was taken with the battery in the engine bay that has an ambient temp between 30-85°C.
    Thats interesting to know of GB allowing the Ah values. Indeed internal resistance is the most important value. Temperature may influence just a little but not much since on my experience the batteries at float charge, disconnected, and on controlled temp or not will always return the same internal resistance. Batteries are replaced in 3yrs weather still good or not, testing are carried out after the vendor replaced it to verify bad strings of battery which are replaced under warranty. 1 bad battery could ruin the entire UPS or DC backup system which could be disastrous if no redundant supply is in place.

I'm placing my order now. Why is the Micro200 cheaper than the Micro30 when it doesn't even have serial usB print support?

7. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    I'm placing my order now. Why is the Micro200 cheaper than the Micro30 when it doesn't even have serial usB print support?
    I don't have a clue.

----------------------------

The battery on my Innova has two standards I can use with the tool:

JIS 80D26 and GB 70 Ah.

Maybe the fact that the battery sticker rating is 68Ah (which I rounded off to 70Ah on the tester), I get slightly different results between JIS and GB. But to remain on the safe side, I put more weight on the worst case test result. As they say, it's better to err on the side of caution.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2016
    I had a new battery installed last Aug 24, my old motolite battery conked out at exactly 18 months (21 months battery), too bad, my wife gave it to the courier. Anyway, i doubted if it was my charging system at fault, so I bought a tester similar to Ojs'. The battery health is 100% but the charging is at LOW, maybe because the battery is just 2 weeks old. Where do Ihave my charging system diagnosed? Casa, or is there an electrical shop specializing in this, around the Sta Rosa - Alabang area?

https://s15.postimg.cc/6b46xiczf/Batt_1.jpg
    https://s15.postimg.cc/4jb82mgrv/Batt_2.jpg
    https://s15.postimg.cc/gxy02yfzv/Batt_3.jpg

9. Join Date
    May 2014
    ^ bro mababa yata yun binabato ng alternator. To prove your theory, you can try to discharge the car batt up to about 12v (or less) then fire up the engine; you should get 13v (or more) without load.

Sent from my SM-C900F using Tapatalk

10. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by papi smith View Post
    I had a new battery installed last Aug 24, my old motolite battery conked out at exactly 18 months (21 months battery), too bad, my wife gave it to the courier. Anyway, i doubted if it was my charging system at fault, so I bought a tester similar to Ojs'. The battery health is 100% but the charging is at LOW, maybe because the battery is just 2 weeks old. Where do Ihave my charging system diagnosed? Casa, or is there an electrical shop specializing in this, around the Sta Rosa - Alabang area?

https://s15.postimg.cc/6b46xiczf/Batt_1.jpg
    https://s15.postimg.cc/4jb82mgrv/Batt_2.jpg
    https://s15.postimg.cc/gxy02yfzv/Batt_3.jpg
    my motollite outlet has a gadget that tests my car's charging system.
    they use it on my car, free of charge.
    but that is probably because i buy my batteries from them.

Page 9 of 39 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast