New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 41 of 76 FirstFirst ... 3137383940414243444551 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by testament11 View Post
    i used my gps all the way to nasugbu batangas. may napansin lang akong flaw dito. instead na direstuhin namin ang startoll, it always recommend an alternate route. since hindi pa namin alam pumunta ng nasugbu (acutally the original route was lemery), so sunod lang ako sa gps. so ayun, to my surprise, ang route namin is parallel sa startoll! so in that case, dapat nag startoll kami all the way to lipa at hindi kami dumaan sa looban. yun lang napansin ko
    this could happen if your gps route preference is set to "shorter distance" and not "faster time". Faster time settings will lead you to major highways like Star. But if you really have wanted to drive through Star, you could have done so and your gps would have recalculated a new route for you.

2. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by zhardan View Post
    What I am saying is,

1. Garmin units bought from US have no preloaded Philippines maps.

My answer is "TRUE". If there is, it's good news so we can ask
    Garmin to supply updated Philippine maps.

2. Garmin units without Philippines map loaded cannot be used or I mean
    useless in the Philippines.

My answer is "TRUE" for obvious reasons. How can my Garmin unit show
    me the directions in Manila if it has no map loaded?

I did not say that if you buy Garmin units directly from U.S. you have no way to make it useful.
    Your answer is true only technically but not in the spirit of its intention. It is not only misleading but an outright lie in order to sell your product.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by straker View Post
    Can the GPS unit be able to plug add'l info, such as one-way roads or bad traffic or road closures?
    One-way roads feature is included in the free Phil. map, meaning it is a function of the map itself. GPS will not route you to one-way streets if they are properly defined in the map. For traffic and road closures, no, we don't have those yet here.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by wavecxs View Post
    Philippine map is free and can be had here:

http://roadguide.ph/forums/index.php

For now it only work on garmin units.

What this means is that it doesn't matter where you get you garmin unit, it should be usable here because there is now a 'usable' philippine map. [SIZE=4]Visit the garmin website, you will have an idea how much the unit cost[/SIZE]. If the one selling the unit says it is expensive because there is a philippine map in it, that should not be, because the map is FREE.

The only time the Philippine map will cost something is if comes from garmin (the map, not the device). But for now there is not yet an official RP map from garmin. So the next best alternative is the FREE map.

Note that there are 2 versions of the roadguide map (a.k.a. philippine map). The standard edition and the contributor edition. The standard edition is perfectly usable and accurate but the contributor edition offers better routing algorithm and updated POI and roads. Go over to the road guide forum and read... whether you are already a gps user or just planning to buy one.

happy g-p-s-ing!

mine nabili ko lang €149 ahehehe!!! garmin nuvi200 last feb 2008 pa, but the price now is a little bit higher, last april 14 nag nagdownload ako sa roadguide.ph ng philippine map, and to my surprise gumana sya! i tried it if it is useful and shocks when i typed caloocan city lumabas sa screen ay 11,255kmNE hehehhe!!! totoo kaya ito! dito pa kasi ako spain kaya malayo, hindi ko lang alam kung accurate yong map pag nasa pinas na ako. Lets see this christmas vacation...kaya lang tagal pa non

5. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    The roadguide map IS accurate enough to be useful. What you probably saw is the 'standard' edition. The 'contributors' edition is A LOT better, quick re-routing algorithm, more roads covered and more comprehensive list of POIs.

We went on a road trip to vigan relying solely on the roadguide gps map and it never let us down one bit.

re: one way streets and road closures, detours etc. as was stated in the earlier post, RP still has no support for such feature. Meaning, if the road you know suddenly becomes a one way street, the map wont be updated realtime. BUT since the roadguide map is a collaborative efforts between forum members, those you saw the changes (on the road) submits it to the forum and the map its updated accordingly.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I would just like to mention, one way streets or closed streets aren't really that big a problem since the GPS device will recalculate a new route if you make a different turn or missed a turn.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    I would just like to mention, one way streets or closed streets aren't really that big a problem since the GPS device will recalculate a new route if you make a different turn or missed a turn.
    Not so in Makati. Because this is the city of one way streets and traffic, a missed turn could mean an additional 15-20 minutes of wasted time and fuel as you go around 3-5 blocks to get back to where you were and start over.

Been there, done that. :headache:

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Not so in Makati. Because this is the city of one way streets and traffic, a missed turn could mean an additional 15-20 minutes of wasted time and fuel as you go around 3-5 blocks to get back to where you were and start over.

Been there, done that. :headache:

Fortunately for me, my Nokia 6110 navigator GPS map of metro manila is updated with the one way streets included.

9. Join Date
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wavecxs View Post
    The roadguide map IS accurate enough to be useful. What you probably saw is the 'standard' edition. The 'contributors' edition is A LOT better, quick re-routing algorithm, more roads covered and more comprehensive list of POIs.
    +1... the standard FREE edition can route you to any place you want to go but the contributor's edition is much better... i'm amazed at how fast it recalculates right after you missed a turn.:2thumbsup:

10. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    You can buy Garmin Nuvi's anywhere and it will work in the Philippines. All you have to do is install the free Philippine map. If you can understand simple instructions, installing it wouldn't be a problem.

If you go to the roadguide.ph site, you'll see they're not happy how some people are making a sales pitch out of their free Philippine map.

Mahiya naman kayo ... stop making money out of it. Even if you just want to sell Garmins without the map, this thread is not the right place to do it. There's the classified section for that.