New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 39 of 76 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041424349 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Snorkle View Post
    Useful ba talaga ang GPS sa Metro Manila? Sa sobrang cramp dito with small roads branching everywhere and streets with multiple names, does it help ba?
    It's a "better than nothing" sort of deal. Mapping here is still in its infancy and only a handful of non-fulltime people are working on updating it. The only commercial company that I know of that's working to update the Metro Manila map, among other maps of major cities, is Accu-map. Even then, they're working with AVT, not Garmin AFAIK.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Snorkle View Post
    Useful ba talaga ang GPS sa Metro Manila? Sa sobrang cramp dito with small roads branching everywhere and streets with multiple names, does it help ba?
    yes, it can be useful, especially with so many small roads without street names and such. The only downside is the subdivisions and gated communities. These usually aren't listed in the GPS' data base.

In certain areas like Makati & Ortigas CBD, the GPS device can lead you to the particular building's front door that you are looking for.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; March 30th, 2009 at 12:33 AM.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Snorkle
    I guess it all depends on how much you know the place. You certainly don't need one if you know where you're going. And if you don't, you're gonna have to rely on the satnav's map data ... if it doesn't have much, then you should realize that it's the map's limitation.

There was this segment on TV on how fast a person can get from one point in London to another ... one on a cab but following the directions given by a satnav, and the other just relying on the cabbie's wits alone. The cab driver won, with his intimate knowledge of London's traffic conditions at any given hour.

Quote Originally Posted by testament11
    i used gps while going to sm mall of asia. what i noticed, how does the gps calculate the route to take? does it depends sa settings yan?
    Yes, may setting yan sa Garmin Mobile XT (Settings - Routing - Route Preference). It balances the route between major roads and small streets, so it also depends on the map data.

Some satnavs can download live traffic data and take it into consideration when calculating routes. Unfortunately there's no such system in the Philippines. A friend joked that it's ok since everywhere is a traffic hotspot.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    sir san makakabili ng gps ngayon how much per unit?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by StraightSix View Post
    There was this segment on TV on how fast a person can get from one point in London to another ... one on a cab but following the directions given by a satnav, and the other just relying on the cabbie's wits alone. The cab driver won, with his intimate knowledge of London's traffic conditions at any given hour.
    That was the GADGET SHOW on CH5 (UK tv).

6. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rsscertified View Post
    mga sirs, san makakabili ng Garmin? meron ba dito sa atin or online purchase ito? TIA

Buy it online. Prices here are way too much compared to those available outside. Then be a member here http://roadguide.ph/ and get the free Philippine map or even better be a contributor and avail of an upgraded map.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    I am selling Garmin GPS loaded with Philippine map. Garmin units bought online have no Philippine map loaded so it is not usable here. For inquiries text me at 0929-659-2208.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by zhardan View Post
    I am selling Garmin GPS loaded with Philippine map. Garmin units bought online have no Philippine map loaded so it is not usable here. For inquiries text me at 0929-659-2208.
    how much is the price?

9. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by zhardan View Post
    That's NOT true. I don't know if this mis-information is deliberate or not, but you CAN install the Metro Manila map yourself and it will not matter where you bought your Garmin GPS from.

My Nuvi 255w came this afternoon from the US and we just installed the Metro Manila map when it got here. Used it immediately going home.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    That's NOT true. I don't know if this mis-information is deliberate or not, but you CAN install the Metro Manila map yourself and it will not matter where you bought your Garmin GPS from.

My Nuvi 255w came this afternoon from the US and we just installed the Metro Manila map when it got here. Used it immediately going home.
    What I am saying is,

1. Garmin units bought from US have no preloaded Philippines maps.

My answer is "TRUE". If there is, it's good news so we can ask
    Garmin to supply updated Philippine maps.

2. Garmin units without Philippines map loaded cannot be used or I mean
    useless in the Philippines.

My answer is "TRUE" for obvious reasons. How can my Garmin unit show
    me the directions in Manila if it has no map loaded?

I did not say that if you buy Garmin units directly from U.S. you have no way to make it useful.