New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 35 of 76 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by StraightSix View Post
    Did you get your "free" copy of NavFone packaged with your mobile phone?
    Yes. The original copy came with the phone. But its an old version with really old map.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    EGPS works with my i780. Using My Location in Google Maps, it was able to tell me my approximate location, based on the nearest cell site. You can't use this to navigate, though and it requires an active GPRS/3G connection for data access.

Not as practical as when using the built-in GPS receiver, EGPS has very poor accuracy (approx. 500 - 1,000 meters) and the My Location dot in Google Maps only indicates the cell site you're currently associated to. But this just proves that cell sites do provide their coordinates when queried by the phone.

I turn this on only if satellite acquisition is taking too long... which is seldom.
    Cell-site based location can be modestly accurate in areas with high density of cellsites. I have a software where you can plot cellsites and it will display your current location. Example is Makati central business district, with it's high density of cellsites, its pretty accurate to within a half block radius.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Cell-site based location can be modestly accurate in areas with high density of cellsites. I have a software where you can plot cellsites and it will display your current location. Example is Makati central business district, with it's high density of cellsites, its pretty accurate to within a half block radius.
    Agree. The location I tested it on had relatively low buildings so cell sites were at least half a kilometer apart.

4. Join Date
    May 2007
    Check out video of AVT Navigator A800

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMfgNxc4Xh8"]YouTube - AVT Navigator A800[/ame]

5. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Hello. Im a newbie here. I already went thru the threads to get some info on how I can have a Philippine map in my Nuvi 260W, but honestly I could hardly understand some terms. Im not a techy person really- I just want the easiest way I could get the software. Would anybody know if there's a shop out there where I could just buy an SD card already preloaded with the Philippine map?

Thanks!

6. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ianne.g View Post
    Hello. Im a newbie here. I already went thru the threads to get some info on how I can have a Philippine map in my Nuvi 260W, but honestly I could hardly understand some terms. Im not a techy person really- I just want the easiest way I could get the software. Would anybody know if there's a shop out there where I could just buy an SD card already preloaded with the Philippine map?

Thanks!
    Saan nyo ba nabili ang nuvi nyo? wala bang map na kasama?

7. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Hello Ianne.g

Quote Originally Posted by ianne.g View Post
    Hello. Im a newbie here. I already went thru the threads to get some info on how I can have a Philippine map in my Nuvi 260W, but honestly I could hardly understand some terms.

Thanks!
    Text me 0917-8242486. I can get you the map for Garmin.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Has anyone here tried both the AVT and Garmin? Which do you think is more comprehensive?

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I would have easily said Garmin but having checked AVT first before saying anything, I might be tempted to say AVT seems to be a better choice for GPS navigation within the Philippines since the map provider is ACCU-MAP which is a Philippine based digital cartography company.

Downside, the AVT A-800 unit is kinda pricey at SRP P18,500. Garmin GPS units are available starting at P9,500 and up with Metro Manila map already loaded.

Accu-map official forum: (map provider for AVT)
    http://www.accu-map.com/forum/index.php

Accu-map offical website:
    http://www.accu-map.com/index.html

10. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    I have been using a garmin nuvi 260w that i got from the US, with maps that I got here http://roadguide.ph/. Map is accurate enough to get you around although it is not updated.