New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    i get 7-8.5km/li on my 1.3 on normal days... so that is why I just leave the car at the school parking lot and take a walk with my friends. (UP EEE papuntang SC tas pabalik)

that is why i invested on good running shoes.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niky
    It's got to be three or four in the morning, gives you the best average speeds...can't do it in the current car, though, because my tires are too thin to ride the shoulders in Tarlac when we hit traffic.

Learned of the "three hour trip" from a University of Baguio driver when I convoyed with him. It's not a nice way to drive, though...
    You probably have to overspeed significantly on NLEX which I assume means high risk of being ticketed. Or is enforcement of 100 kph limit unlikely during early morning?

To compensate for slower speed on Marcos Highway (which I assume it would have, not Kennon), you probably have to average ~100 kph after NLEX. This requires sustained high level of concentration and is obviously not appropriate for the road conditions, even if deserted.

What is the blockade/holdup potential between NLEX and Baguio during the early morning time period?

3. Join Date
    May 2005
    Buti na lang Diesel Revo gamit ko. 10km/l city traffic

Pero kung gusto ko tipid talaga, I use my scooter. hehehe :bike:

4. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    if there was an alternative vehicle, costing around 50k pesos, which had an aircon, and a 20km/L consumption, it would sell like hotcakes.

i've actually thought about building such a device around a Honda GX engine (6hp). Think gentrified go kart, with an automatic clutch and a two-speed "auto tranny" using belts. the big problem is the body fabrication (but shouldn't be hard, use 2" EMT tubing -- space frame body, parang F1 car!) and the aircon.

in the provinces particularly in Mindanao there are these "tricycles" but they actually have 4 wheels and jeepney-style seating in the back. the driver and the motorcycle is totally enclosed. something like that, but with aircon. also safer than a motorcycle.

problem is, fabrication cost of such a thing would be in the 50k range. at that price, bili nalang ng 2nd (or 3rd, or 4th) hand kia pride. the fuel consumption is not much worse, it has an aircon, and a unit body.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by e2fee
    You probably have to overspeed significantly on NLEX which I assume means high risk of being ticketed. Or is enforcement of 100 kph limit unlikely during early morning?

To compensate for slower speed on Marcos Highway (which I assume it would have, not Kennon), you probably have to average ~100 kph after NLEX. This requires sustained high level of concentration and is obviously not appropriate for the road conditions, even if deserted.

What is the blockade/holdup potential between NLEX and Baguio during the early morning time period?
    Enforcement of the 100 km/h limit is spotty at best. I know people who've gotten ticketed multiple times for exceeding 120 km/h, and some people who still drive the same way they did beforehand (read, stupidly fast) and who've never been ticketed.

Speeds between 120-160 km/h don't require "excessive concentration" on a well-designed highway like the NLEX. It has a smooth surface and good sightlines. Of course, once in traffic, you do have to slow down, as maintaining a differential or closing speed of 100 km/h between yourself and the trucks trundling along the route is dangerous. I'm personally more comfortable with a closing speed of 20 km/h, and then going back up to cruising speed once I'm past traffic.

The SLEX, on the other hand, is dangerous to drive even at 100 km/h in some portions, due to the bumpiness and traffic hazards. If I'm driving an AUV or a van instead of a car, I usually stick to 60-80 km/h.

It's all about brakes and momentum. IMHO, if your car has the brakes to stop from that speed, well and good. But if you're driving a big SUV that'll take half-a-minute to stop, don't be a Vandolph.

Blockade/Holdup? Depends on what you're driving and how alert you are. I have friends who drive at those times all the time without trouble... actually, I guess it depends on who you are and whether the local NPA have your number...

But the most you can make on the NLEX with high speeds is thirty minutes or so... I'm not sure of the times, but it's about an hour at the limit (or less) and probably forty minutes (thirty if you're stupid) if you speed.

The biggest saving you can make is by avoiding the small town traffic between Baguio and the NLEX.
    Last edited by niky; July 23rd, 2006 at 03:36 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
Do the math, driving in Manila is horrendous for fuel economy hehe.