New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by claytonyu View Post
    While the 9 speed auto of the diesel sounds really good, I wouldnt really go for the diesel as of now, while its new. Honda is not known for its diesels and therefore we wouldnt know yet whether or not their diesel is reliable. Also I am not sure if a 1.6 diesel is too small for the CRV, as I hear many people say its underpowered. Haven't tried it though. For me, although I dislike the gasoline variant as well I would say that its the "safer" choice as of March 2018.
    I had the same thoughts before. That it might be unreliable and underpowered. But Honda's 2.2L diesel in the last generation CR-V in other markets was pretty reliable. If you do a search on that engine's issues you'll find next to nothing and that normally means nothing bad to report. So it has been established that Honda can make durable diesel engines. The reason for downsizing to 1.6L had more to do with improving weight, FC and NVH.

As for the engine's power, it's quick enough. It can definitely keep up with most PPVs. In gear acceleration isn't that great but with the 9at it doesn't really matter. As long as you don't force it to stay in one gear for too long, it accelerates well. This is from someone who thinks a chipped last gen Navara with a 3" exhaust is just quick enough (for a pickup).

People who own one already know how frugal it is, but what's amazing (but never mentioned) about the 1.6L diesel is the weight. Having such a small displacement all aluminum engine makes for a light front end. It corners really well for a CUV with a softly sprung and (relatively) long travel suspension. I mentioned in the CR-V thread a while ago that while going up some uphill corners nearby, I left a tailgating PPV quite easily. And it never really nosedives on hard braking.

While the gas version isn't as efficient, it trumps the diesel in purchase price, maintenance cost and smoothness. The CVT is a lot smoother than the 9at which is a little bit jerky compared to even older a/t's from say Hyundais or Nissans/Jatco. The engine note of the gas version is just so much nicer compared to even this relatively quiet diesel. There's also that tiny bit more vibration that can still be felt on the steering wheel. And if you don't need 7 seats the gas variant has a lot more luggage space. Even with the 3rd row folded down on the diesel there is not a lot of space for luggage.

If I had a nit to pick it would be the steering feel at higher speeds. It's not overly soft at speed but not really tight enough either. I just prefer a tighter feel. At slow speeds you can tell the ratio is also a little slow, but with it being so light it isn't really an issue.

If you are in the market for a crossover I suggest you at least do a test drive.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Those who say the CR-V diesel is underpowered are most likely basing from paper specs and haven't driven or don't own the CR-V diesel.

I've driven it and the drivetrain is adequate thanks to the low-end torque and clever 9-speed AT. Ask people who own the diesel (like Whistl3r) to have a more valid opinion on the CR-V diesel's performance.

We have the 2.0S and it's much thirstier than the diesel (5-8 km/L city driving vs 11-15 km/L for the diesel).
    Wala kasing pumapansin sa CX5 kaya wala ring bashers online. That's all noise though - what's important to look at are the sales numbers.

Between the two, di hamak na mas mabenta ang CRV diesel kaysa CX5 diesel.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Pero honestly, for a 5 seater, sobrang overpriced talaga ang skyactive-d na cx5. Ok na sana if it was larger than it currently is pero hindi eh.

Yung 2.2 is also the one that came from ford, right? Pero tuned by mazda themselves kaya mas malakas.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GTcervan View Post
    Pero honestly, for a 5 seater, sobrang overpriced talaga ang skyactive-d na cx5. Ok na sana if it was larger than it currently is pero hindi eh.

Yung 2.2 is also the one that came from ford, right? Pero tuned by mazda themselves kaya mas malakas.
    the 2.2 is mazda in-house developed.. its not the duratorq from ford.

overpriced? now this is a niche...

4. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post
    the 2.2 is mazda in-house developed.. its not the duratorq from ford.

overpriced? now this is a niche...

So it does not have the reliability issues of ford's 2.2? Well, that's nice to hear. I thought its the same powerplant for the diesel cx5 and 6.

PS Sorry it's OT.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    So it does not have the reliability issues of ford's 2.2? Well, that's nice to hear. I thought its the same powerplant for the diesel cx5 and 6.

PS Sorry it's OT.
    what are these reliability issue you speak off? the 2.2(385nm) on the everest doesnt have much issues. the older 2.2 (375nm) on the ranger only had turbo hose issue.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    The CRV will please more people with its comfort-oriented ride and amenities. It does not market itself as sporty but it is a reliable people mover. That is why it sells.

If you want a CUV that drives well like a compact car, the CX5 will appeal to you. If you want out right performance and lots of AWD grip, go with the Forester XT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post
    what are these reliability issue you speak off? the 2.2(385nm) on the everest doesnt have much issues. the older 2.2 (375nm) on the ranger only had turbo hose issue.

Well, the ones that were complained in the ford ranger club in facebook. I guess it's the original 2.2 that had it indeed.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2016

PS Sorry it's OT.
    Makikisingit lang po hehe.
    Same ang powerplant niyan CX-5 Diesel at Mazda 6 diesel. In-house developed ng Mazda yan using “Skyactiv D” - lower-than-normal compression ratio plus twin turbo. Hehe malayo at walang connection yung 2.2 ng Ford dyan, nagkataon lang na parehas sila 2.2.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mrstealyourgirl View Post
    Makikisingit lang po hehe.
    Same ang powerplant niyan CX-5 Diesel at Mazda 6 diesel. In-house developed ng Mazda yan using “Skyactiv D” - lower-than-normal compression ratio plus twin turbo. Hehe malayo at walang connection yung 2.2 ng Ford dyan, nagkataon lang na parehas sila 2.2.

Pero the bt50 doesn't have this engine but rather the same 2.2 of the ranger right? Anyway, the specs of the skyactiv-d is really intriguing. Its output is almost similar to the 2.2 of the santa fe.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Wh1stl3r View Post
    I had the same thoughts before. That it might be unreliable and underpowered. But Honda's 2.2L diesel in the last generation CR-V in other markets was pretty reliable. If you do a search on that engine's issues you'll find next to nothing and that normally means nothing bad to report. So it has been established that Honda can make durable diesel engines. The reason for downsizing to 1.6L had more to do with improving weight, FC and NVH.

As for the engine's power, it's quick enough. It can definitely keep up with most PPVs. In gear acceleration isn't that great but with the 9at it doesn't really matter. As long as you don't force it to stay in one gear for too long, it accelerates well. This is from someone who thinks a chipped last gen Navara with a 3" exhaust is just quick enough (for a pickup).

People who own one already know how frugal it is, but what's amazing (but never mentioned) about the 1.6L diesel is the weight. Having such a small displacement all aluminum engine makes for a light front end. It corners really well for a CUV with a softly sprung and (relatively) long travel suspension. I mentioned in the CR-V thread a while ago that while going up some uphill corners nearby, I left a tailgating PPV quite easily. And it never really nosedives on hard braking.

While the gas version isn't as efficient, it trumps the diesel in purchase price, maintenance cost and smoothness. The CVT is a lot smoother than the 9at which is a little bit jerky compared to even older a/t's from say Hyundais or Nissans/Jatco. The engine note of the gas version is just so much nicer compared to even this relatively quiet diesel. There's also that tiny bit more vibration that can still be felt on the steering wheel. And if you don't need 7 seats the gas variant has a lot more luggage space. Even with the 3rd row folded down on the diesel there is not a lot of space for luggage.

If I had a nit to pick it would be the steering feel at higher speeds. It's not overly soft at speed but not really tight enough either. I just prefer a tighter feel. At slow speeds you can tell the ratio is also a little slow, but with it being so light it isn't really an issue.

If you are in the market for a crossover I suggest you at least do a test drive.
    The Honda 1.6 i-dtec has been around since 2013 and has proven reliable in Europe for both the CRV and Civic. More problematic has been the ZF 9-speed which has given headaches not only to Honda but also to Acura and FCA in various applications. There have been a deluge of customer complaints about lurching, rough shifting and even gear disengagement. Have diesel CRV owners in this forum noticed these problems that have plagued other ZF 9 speed equipped vehicles abroad?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast