New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Speedyfix,

As Ezgrand has said, the thermoswitch is failsafe in that the circuitry is normally closed (n.c.) so that if it fails, it will lose ability to shut off the fan. I think all other cars are the same. If the fan is not constantly running, it should therefore mean that the thermoswitch is ok.

Ezgrand,

I think the main reason why the thermoswitch is separate from the thermostat is reliability. Both 'stat and 'switch are much more reliable being separate units than a universal thermostat/switch.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    are thermoswitch and thermofan one and the same?

3. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Yes. It is most appropriately called a thermofan switch. Thermo means it has something to do with heat, thus a fan switch that is heat activated.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Yes. It is most appropriately called a thermic fan switch. Thermic means it has something to do with heat, thus a fan switch that is heat activated, or a thermo-fan switch.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    nung mag overheat kotse ko at dinala ko sa mekaniko, tingangal ng mekaniko yung thermostat. sabi niya, di raw kailangan yun. pang cold climates lang daw yun. At pag daw bumili ko bago nun, libo rin daw yun.
    Tama ba mekaniko ko?

sir,

my delica got the same treatment as your beacuse of the overheat..although its been found that its not the culprit..

somehow it affects because ung thermostat prevents water flow until such temp,tska lang sya magoopen to let the flow go..pero pag removed ung thermostat na yun,the water continually flows in the system while the engine is running..

hope this helps..

7. Join Date
    May 2004
    nor ride mo sir? this is not good for newer engines.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    1992 galant mpi

9. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    sa kotse mo na 92 model, i think it would be okey to removed the termostat by pass valve para continous na flow ng tubig. thou meron yan operating temperature every engine, dito sa pinas dali lang abotin yan kahit removed na yan thermostat by pass valve mo.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    here's you answer:

If it fails and sticks open, then it allows too much cool water into the engine and therefore the engine takes way too long to heat-up. This causes your car to get lousy gas mileage and makes your car's heater take forever to make hot air. In the short-run, this isn't bad for the engine, but over the long run (3 to 6 months) it can cause your engine to start burning oil and ruin your catalytic converter.
    another one of those Filipino automotive myths...

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
The Great Thermostat Debate [Merged]