New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jojoico
    ask ko lang din...ano ang difference/disadvantage kapag mas luma ang model ng kotse?
    i have a Gen 1 crv kasi na nagoverheat last week, tinanggal din ng mechanic yun thermostat.

meron bang masisira na ibang engine components or ang disadvantage lang is matagal ma-reach ang normal operatin temp?
    you will not even reach normal operating temperature when the temperature is cold (raining, nightime, ber months).

you'll prematurely wear out parts like pistons, sleeves, etc

lancevo8,

care to expound why the thermostat isn't needed for older cars?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    tama si tarugs... a machine is a machine... lahat ng components may purpose... dont settle sa mga remedy lang... dapat problem solved... at least bawas alala...

3. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    add ko lang. it was placed there for a reason. old school thinking ang tinatanggal ang thermostat para ma-prevent ang overheating. an engine needs to achieve a certain temperature to give off maximum performance. it may just do more harm than good if it is removed.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    if ok lang pala wala from the start sana di nalang linagay sa casa... cost cutting pa sila...

mura lang naman thermostat kaya replace it when possible, dun lang sa no choice dapat gawin yung pagtangal pero it should be remedied din agad

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    tama kayo pang old skul yan pag luma na kasi makina mo barado na ng mga mineral deposit ang water tunnel sa engine block kaya kelangan na talaga alisin for older engines kung nag ooverheat na sya kahit bago pa ang thermo stat.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    i hear from a lot of mechanics that thermostat is not needed or necessary in our type of tropical climate.actually, before i have problem with my car for overheating...lot of mechanics had wrong diagnosis so i opted to go to honda center and they found out that ther's a problem with the thermo-time switch, thermostat and radiator.so i bought the switch and thermostat but an outside mechanic advised me not to install the thermostat because it will just add up to overheating...
    any comments???

7. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    there's a similar thread i think...pero as from what i've read somwhere in the boards, mas maganda kapag may thermostat pa rin eventhough we're on a tropical country. it helps keep your car in the right temperature during cold starups...ata. also...there's no reason that a new thermostat will cause overheating; only used and old thermostats can do that ...kasi nagsstuck up yan over time. corrosion is inevitable kahit sabihin ng car manufacturers na anti corrosive materials ang ginamit sa part na yun.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    yup do a search meron na thread about that.

but to make it easier for you, yes a thermostat is necessary. those mechanics who say that it isn't do not know what they are talking about. having a properly functioning thermostat in your engine will do the ff:

1. shorter warm up times. the shorter the warm up the earlier the engine will reach its efficient temperature. also shorter warm ups lessen engine wear. the reverse is true also, without a thermostat the warm up times get longer and leads to more engine wear due to the engine parts not being in its optimum operating temperature.

2. a thermostat regulates the flow of cooling water between by-pass (meaning the coolant does not pass through the radiator) and the radiator, keeping the optimum operating temperature for the engine at all times. removing the thermostat will permanently divide the flow of water between radiator and by-pass. that means the cooling efficiency of your radiator is actually cut by 50% and this could in fact lead to engine overheat.

kasi tuloy-tuloy na ung ikot ng tubig...yup you just need a thermostat na properly working...it stucks up in time to the point na di na kaya itulak ng pressure kaya it fails...

10. Join Date
    May 2006
    Operating without a thermostat causes other problems.
    These are: longer engine warmup time, unreliable warmup performance, increased exhaust emissions and crankcase condensation. This condensation can result in sludge formation.

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
The Great Thermostat Debate [Merged]