New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Lahat ng liquid-cooled engines ay may thermostat. Almost 100% of the time nasa upper hose naka connect yung thermostat. Subaybayan mo lang yung hose papunta sa engine side. Yung flange na saan naka connect yung hose ay syang housing ng thermostat. Tanggalin mo lang ang flange na yun (held down by 2 or 3 bolts). Expect about 1/4 of the engine coolant to escape when you remove the hose.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Keep the thermostat. Other things that needs thermostat: aircon,
    ref, flat iron, oven, range, freezer...it's there for a purpose.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    hey guys! i read all the threads and I think dapat nga yata talaga andun yung thermostat. I had that problem with my honda vti... sabi nung mekaniko, wala na daw yung thermostat so ang tagal bago magbukas ng fan... sobrang init na talaga ng radiator before it turns on (pero di ba dapat hindi na sya mag-on kasi nga wala yung thermostat?). now I have to buy a new one... meron kaya nyan sa mga surplus shops dyan sa evanghelista? or if new, magkano kaya yun sa casa... (tragis gastos na naman...)

4. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Originally posted by ebbfolls
    Actually, the radiator fan is switched on and off from the E.C.T. sending unit via a relay. You can remove the thermostat and the fan is still going to turn on and off depending on the temperature of the engine coolant.
    if this is the case... what is the function of the thermostat? isnt this the one which turns on the fan? thanks!

5. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Originally posted by jason7100
    if this is the case... what is the function of the thermostat? isnt this the one which turns on the fan? thanks!
    ehehe. sa tingin ko ang tinutukoy ng original poster ay yung thermostat that blocks/unblocks the coolant flow. tinatanggal ito para palaging nagflo-flow yung coolant to the radiator.

on the other hand, yung mga hindi belt-driven fans ay ino-off/on din ng isa pang thermostat. yung iba wina-wire directly yung motor ng fan, bypassing this thermostat/switch para palaging naka-on.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Originally posted by jason7100
    To be honest, I am not sure why the fan shouldnt be operated by the thermostat. But I speak from experience and I tell you that you can remove the thermostat and the fan will still cycle on and off based on coolant temperature sensed by the fan switch. As somebody else has already said, I was referring to the thermostat that controls the flow of the coolant between the engine block and the radiator.

I shall look more into this. If I find a better answer to your question ill get right back to it.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    ebbfols,

thank you! so there are two thermostats operating... one for the control of the coolant flow and one for the fan... I asked coz my car keeps overheating! and just a 78km run from laguna to makati. I had it checked before and the mechanic said the thermostat is missing... But I assume this one is the one controlling the flow coz he removed the tube connecting the engine and poked it with his screw driver... having found that the screw driver was unobstructed by his methodical poking procedures, he concluded... it was removed. now im afraid i have to replace both! =(

Do you know where I could have this fixed aside from the CASA?

8. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Hello. Istarted the thread and was talking about the thermostat usually located in a water outlet on top of the engine by the upper hose.

The other one is the THERMOFAN switch usually attached to the radiator and is used to turn the fan on and off on FWD cars.

Madaming nagoverheat dahil dyan sa thermofan switch and is often overlooked as a cause of overheating. MAganda ginawa ng Mazda yata? Pag nasira ang switch, always on ang fan(failsafe) binaliktad lang nila ang wiring, unlike other manufacturers always off pag nasira anf switch. Makes you wonder why they didn't copy Mazda on this simple solution...Pride?

9. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Ezgrand,
    Actually, the Corolla has the same failsafe feature, and I think most if not all cars are the same. Is there a particular model you noticed does not have this feature? I still dont understand why the thermostat should not handle both duties of controlling coolant flow and fan operation. The only reason I can think of is that the fan switch monitors the coolant in the radiator while the thermostat monitors the coolant in the engine. This way the fan does not turn on until the coolant from the engine enters the radiator. But it still sounds a bit redundant to me.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    thermostat and thermoswitch are 2 different things.

it's best to have both installed and working properly to ensure that the car doesn't overheat

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
The Great Thermostat Debate [Merged]