New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    actually, taking off the termostat by pass valve is just a "band aid" solution to your problem. at 92 model engine, it might need to be overhauled.. as of the moment your mechanic has a solution to your overheating problem that doesnt solve the problem why it overheats...

2. Join Date
    May 2004
    as what m2 quoted, long run ang effect nyan. every morning you need to rev it more para ma-attain nya kagad yung running temp ng engine mo. and one more thing, ecu na yan di ba so i think baka magkaproblema ka dyan(ecu will always think na malamig ang engine mo, thats what i know). para sakin, get a 2nd opinion or ask around mistu people about their experiences.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    oo nga old myth:

sa totoo lang heat loss means power loss din, kaya normal operating temp keeps engine *optimum performance, especially modern engine with tigh gaps between metals..>>

4. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    thanks guys. i am enlightened with your replies. I'll have a new thermostat reinstalled asap.
    I did notice that it takes a long period of time for the engine to heat up. All along I thought that it's ok. Di pala.
    Thanks again....very much

5. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    I guess, it depends sa year model ng oto mo., it will be better if u will not install your thermostat.,coz 92 model na unit mo. marami ng cause ng overheating nyan. might be your water pump, radiator ,and remember in phils.
    our temperature are really extreme so madali talagang tumaas ang temperature ng kahit na oto. just my thought..

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Just get a new one... Thermostat is relatively affordable.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    lancevo8,
    right b4 the mechanic removed the thermostat, he checked all others first...the pump, radiator, hoses, radiator cap. He even had this apparatus placed in lieu of the radiator cap (i don't know what it does). All was in proper condition. That's when he thought that the thermostat maybe the culprit. It may have not opened when it was supposed to.
    Anyways, ive decided to reinstall a new thermostat as per mr. mazdamazda's explanation.
    thanks

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    and in fact removing the thermostats cuts the cooling capacity of your radiator in half! the thermostat regulates the flow of coolant between a by-pass port and the radiator. if the engine is cold then it is closed and the coolant goes to the by-pass. at maximum operating temperature it is fully open and 100% of the the coolant flow goes to the radiator. at temperatures in between "cold" and "optimum" it regulates the flow, dividing the flow of coolant between the by-pass and the radiator so that your engine runs at the most efficient temperature without overheating. if you remove the thermostats then the coolant flow is permanently divided between the by-pass port and the radiator, in effect cutting the cooling efficiency by 50%!

siguro stuck closed na yung thermostats mo kaya nago-overheat. nung tinanggal nya yung thermostat of course that puts back 50% of the cooling capacity kaya hindi na nago-overheat. but i guarantee you that if you get stuck in traffic on a hot summer day when you need 100% cooling efficiency from your radiator your engine will overheat!

9. Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Good decision bro, bottom line is di naman ilalagay yan ng car manufacturer kung di kailangan eh...

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by lancevo8
    I guess, it depends sa year model ng oto mo., it will be better if u will not install your thermostat.,coz 92 model na unit mo. marami ng cause ng overheating nyan. might be your water pump, radiator ,and remember in phils.
    our temperature are really extreme so madali talagang tumaas ang temperature ng kahit na oto. just my thought..
    ask ko lang din...ano ang difference/disadvantage kapag mas luma ang model ng kotse?
    i have a Gen 1 crv kasi na nagoverheat last week, tinanggal din ng mechanic yun thermostat.

meron bang masisira na ibang engine components or ang disadvantage lang is matagal ma-reach ang normal operatin temp?

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
The Great Thermostat Debate [Merged]